Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

*New* Vintage KB Instruments

ProfD

Well, musicians no longer have to restore and/or scavenge yard sales, basements, attics, etc., in search of the original piece(s). ;)

The manufacturers have jumped into the game providing *new* versions of these instruments, overcoming the limitations of the predecessors and adding a few more bells and whistles.

Which of the *new* vintage instruments would you most likely buy i.e. Hammond, Rhodes or Dave Smith Instruments (Prophet 08)?

While I love organ and Rhodes sounds, I would buy the Prophet 08 mainly for the phat, real-time control combined with my primary vintage facsimile i.e. Motif ES8. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well let's see.

1. Hammond - maybe, but it doesn't thrill me with the real thing sitting in my basement.

2. Rhodes - never. Not only did I hate every minute I played the crappy action and broke my back hauling the original, but Mr. Brandsetter's obnoxious and heavy handed actions leave me unable to support his company.

3. Prophet - hell yeah!

Moe

---

Not to get too technical on you professor, but I don't put the Hammond in the same category as the Rhodes Mark VII or the Prophet. All the new Hammonds are digital recreations and, in my book, are no different than a well sampled Rhodes or a VA.

Busch.

Point taken. I'm sure that Mark VII is on your watch list. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If there was a "new" Oberheim SEM 4 or 8 voice with Tom himself somehow involved in it, I would have monstrous GAS. I know that's not likely to happen, but I can dream.

Last week, I hauled my Rhodes 88 and one of the satellites up my basement stairs, and back down, to have a minor repair done. I wouldn't want to make a routine of that.

After 24 years since I sold my crappy sponge action Rhodes, I bought a decent one off the 'bay which just arrived yesterday. Much better action (full wood keys) than the one I used to own.

And it doesn't seem as heavy as I remember it. I must be getting stronger in my middle age.

I've noticed many of the romplers are getting better re-creations of the vintage instruments. The other day I checked out the Korg X50. Little board, inexpensive. It had some really good Rhodes, Whurly, and Clav sounds. Couple them with a decent keybed (it wasn't bad, but it was synth action) and they'd be very usable, rather than carry around the vintage instruments.

And if a $700 board can do that, the more expensive, more capable boards should be more than satisfactory.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I didn't mean to start another old vs new instruments thread. Just asking which of the *new* Hammond, Rhodes or DSI Prophet 08 you all would consider buying and using on gigs. Overall, I'm satisified with my facsimile too. :cool:

PD

I didn't mean to start another old vs new instruments thread. Just asking which of the *new* Hammond, Rhodes or DSI Prophet 08 you all would consider buying and using on gigs. Overall, I'm satisified with my facsimile too. :cool:

Going along with the thread's intentions, which would I consider buying?

None of them. I don't have enough room on stage for a "one trick pony" that I might use on 15% of the songs. I need the versatility, and the current crop of instruments give me that. I use my current piano on 55% of the material, my clonewheel on 48%, and my old rompler on 10% (I know it doesn't add up to 100%, but there are many instances of multiple board use).

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Indeed, if there were a new Hammond that was actually a Hammond, I'd be interested... Otherwise, what's the point?

Griff, I take it this one doesn't qualify either:

Click It

I have no idea of how it sounds in comparison to the real deal. Nor do I think it will show up on a gig at the Dew Drop. :laugh:

Mr. Nightime, I certainly concur with your 113% set-up especially when it works. :thu:

But, you know as well I do, there is a musician somewhere who swears by a vintage Prophet 5, yet is afraid to take it to a gig at the place mentioned above. ;):cool:

PD

I'm actually going to check out the Little Phatty tomorrow. As a bassist, synth bass is more important to me on stage than anything else. I do splits, but ALWAYS include left-hand synth bass as I'm covering for my not being able to simultaneously play the bass guitar :-). I was eyeballing the Prophet '08, but many tell me it is great for leads and pads but not ideal for bass, and that the Little Phatty (or Voyager if I could afford it) makes more sense.

As far as I know, it is the only current true analog monosynth on the market. If there are others, let me know :-). Also, maybe the Mono-Evolver is phat enough for solid on-stage bass roles ?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Last week, I hauled my Rhodes 88 and one of the satellites up my basement stairs, and back down, to have a minor repair done. I wouldn't want to make a routine of that.
Sweet! Another cat with an 88 and satellites. Mine's a Fender Rhodes Mark1 88 with the original satellites. There's ain't a suitcase alive that even comes remotely close to the sound of that thing. Did a gig a week or so ago with the Rhodes, kicking bass with the Phatty. Man what a blast.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Did a gig a week or so ago with the Rhodes, kicking bass with the Phatty. Man what a blast.

K, when is the next gig using THAT set-up? ;)

What speakers carried the Phatty bass?

I need a plane ticket asap. There had to be a smile on your face during that entire gig. :D:cool:

PD

Indeed, if there were a new Hammond that was actually a Hammond, I'd be interested... Otherwise, what's the point?

Click It

H.F.N. (hell f****n no)

If it ain't got a tube amp-powered dual-spinner leslie and real drawbars, it ain't a real Hammond.

Click It

H.F.N. (hell f****n no)

If it ain't got a tube amp-powered dual-spinner leslie and real drawbars, it ain't a real Hammond.

Griff, the only thing being made today with tonewheels and a mechanical scanner is the Pari.e (tone drums, actually). I'd love to play one to check it out but that is unlikely to ever happen.

Anyway, it's fun to look at a modern interpretation.

http://www.parieorgan.it/organ_en.htm

Moe

---

I love to get my hands on a "new" Rev2 Prophet5 (pre Curtis chips) :cool:

I can't even find anyone near here willing to attempt to repair the one I have in my attic :(

Start a thread here - maybe someone on the forum knows a great tech who can handle the job...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I went for an XK-3 + Leslie, PC2R w Classic Keys, Micron

rather than say

Rompler, Prophet08

or, even worse,

Rompler, VII, Micron

So I guess I'd have to say the Hammond is the most important emulation for me.

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Cool question, ProfD. I'd go with the Prophet '08 as well. I cut my teeth in synthesis on a Minimoog then a Prophet 5 back in the day. While I still have my mint P5 (Rev. 3 w/ MIDI), she only leaves the house on rare occasions. It would be nice to have something to gig with.

I'm with mate stubb regarding the Rhodes, especially considering that the really good ones were few and far between with the majority of them being average, at best. Plus, I really dig the Rhodes on my Nord Stage! Also, you probably could have added the Moog Voyager to your survey.

Interesting how we are experiencing a return to the classic keyboards. Sure is nice to have all of these wonderful choices!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Sweet! Another cat with an 88 and satellites. Mine's a Fender Rhodes Mark1 88 with the original satellites. There's ain't a suitcase alive that even comes remotely close to the sound of that thing. Did a gig a week or so ago with the Rhodes, kicking bass with the Phatty. Man what a blast.

Mine is also a MkI 88. I'm the original owner. Still has the tags on the piano and the satellite cabs. Don't know why I never took them off, but now it's sort of cool.

I saw this in the NY Times last Sunday, the home studio of "Danger Mouse" who also has the Rhodes/Satellite combo:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/11/29/arts/1202-WORK_2.html

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/11/29/arts/1202-WORK_6.html

I have my Odyssey on top of the Rhodes, with foam underneath to keep it from rocking.

PD, I have to say I wouldn't go for the Rhodes since I have similar feelings of others here. It just was an average instument except for a few special ones, there was a big difference between those and mine.

Prophet 08? I never got excited about analog back in the day and I can't see myself feeling it now. And if I don't feel it I shouldn't play it.

Hammond, well I will say B3er sure gets a great sound out of his Xk3/ dual with pedals and Leslie's. I would love to be able to dedicate that much stage to my rig. But I would really rather have some instruction on how to REALLY play. Or spend a LOT of time learning the instrument before seperating the cash from my pocket.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

D:

I'd say a lot of what players would add to their setup depends upon what kind of gig they are doing and what music they are playing. You already know my setup. I have found the need for a poly synth (ION) important to me in addition to my Motif ES8 rompler. Musically, I'd say the new Prophet 08 would be great to fill the role my ION now has, but then, I don't know that I would risk carrying it around to gigs.

I would like to have a clonewheel, but I don't know that I am willing to carry a third KB. I like the Hammond XK-1 for sound and price, but reports of numerous "bad" units and other problems doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling about buying one. XK-3C would be better quality, but bigger, longer, heavier, and more expensive. So I continue to use the organ sounds on my Motif ES8, which are very good. The Leslie Simm could stand some improvement, but I'm not making any changes unless I hit the lottery.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

ProfD,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm happy with my PC2X.

:)

Go ahead... kick my ass behind.

I know I'm overdue.

:rolleyes:

:rawk:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived