Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Postin' Drunk, Bad Santa, Bela Fleck, & 3D Illusions

ITGITC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite sure what you're talking about, but I just followed your "must not post drunk" advice and scratched the long semi-coherent rant I had composed.

Cheers!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Postin' Drunk.

On any given Saturday night, what are the chances? OK, not drunk, but warmed-over or something...

No point really... just sayin'. :/

Bad Santa.

What is it about the idea of Bad Santa that appeals to me? I don't really know - but I like it... I really like it. :evil:

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Anybody heard these guys?

I've got a neighbor down the street who isn't fond of jazz. He says jazz guys play "too many notes". :laugh: But he does enjoy bluegrass and similar music. Keep him playing music in this vein and he's a good musician. Don't ask him to play standards though.

There was a thread the other day about certain instruments you may not be too fond of; mumember? Bela plays banjo. And then there's the soprano sax that accompanies it. You don't hear this combination often. And, I'm not sure that I don't like it.

Anyway, I just reloaded my MP3 player and this is what's cued up.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on Bela and this music?

At first listen, they sound like another band whose name I can't recall from 25 years ago - soprano sax, jazz. I'll think of it in a minute... Wait, it's FLIM & THE BB'S. Has anyone heard of Flim & The BB's? What were your impressions of their music?

Finally, not to ramble, but to stir up a bit of polite conversation, what's your favorite Christmas/Holiday song these days? I'm sick of all of 'em.

Really.

I will not listen to this music unless I am forced to.

Therefore, I would like to nominate my favorite Christmas/Holiday song as Robert Earl Keen's, Christmas From The Family.

I can't post the MP3, but here is a snippet: KLONK HERE

And here are the lyrics:

Mom got drunk and Dad got drunk at our Christmas party

We were drinking champagne punch and homemade eggnog

Little sister brought her new boyfriend

He was a Mexican

We didn't know what to think of him until he sang

Felis Navidad, Felis Navidad

Brother Ken brought his kids with him

The three from his first wife Lynn

And the two identical twins from his second wife Mary Nell

Of course he brought his new wife Kay

Who talks all about AA

Chain smoking while the stereo plays Noel, Noel

The First Noel

Carve the Turkey

Turn the ball game on

Mix margaritas when the eggnog's gone

Send somebody to the Quickpak Store

We need some ice and an extension chord

A can of bean dip and some Diet Rites

A box of tampons, Marlboro Lights

Haleluja everybody say Cheese

Merry Christmas from the family

Fred and Rita drove from Harlingen

I can't remember how I'm kin to them

But when they tried to plug their motor home in

They blew our Christmas lights

Cousin David knew just what went wrong

So we all waited out on our front lawn

He threw a breaker and the lights came on

And we sang Silent Night, Oh Silent Night, Oh Holy Night

Carve the turkey turn the ball game on

Make Bloody Mary's

Cause We All Want One!

Send somebody to the Stop 'N Go

We need some celery and a can of fake snow

A bag of lemons and some Diet Sprites

A box of tampons, some Salem Lights

Haleluja, everybody say cheese

Merry Christmas from the Family

===========================================

OK, that song isn't very politically correct - don't sue me - I just think it's funny - especially since I'm sick of all the rest.

So... Merry Christmas.

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, then tell me what you do celebrate and I'll gladly spread some well wishes your way too.

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

FLIM & THE BB'S - now there is a blast from the past....

I probably have most of their CD's from the 80's. Session musicians, IIRC. Flim (Jimmy Johnson) played bass for James Taylor for years (might still be..) and played on Russ Freeman's original Rippingtons recordings.

And I (like many, many other people) really dig Bela Fleck and The Flecktones! What is the matter with you, Gassy? :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

ITGITC,

Go see the Flecktones - you won't regret it. I saw them this summer and it was, hands down, the best concert I've seen this year.

All four - bass, banjo, sax and percussion - are wireless so they can roam around the stage and really interact with each other and the audience.

They are also one of the few groups I have seen that play in odd time signatures that sound natural and not forced.

Go see them.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Bela is BAD as are the Flecktones. They are all awesome musicians and I too recomend seeing them live. It is quite an enjoyable show.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I've never seen Bela and don't have any of his cd's. I think I'll head over to iTunes and pick up a cd. Flim & the BB's....always loved 'em. As for my Favorite Xmas tune: Some Children See Him. I really like what Dave Grusin did with that melody. He did it on a GRP Xmas cd and also with James Taylor. Beautiful tune. Get that one.

right, that's a really great example for kids...

:freak:

cheezzzzz.... now we are on a roll... :grin:

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

right, that's a really great example for kids...

:freak:

Exactly! :thu: That's why I love it so.

I'm kinda surprised that no one on this board has heard this song. I guess it's a regional thing... or a country music thing. But around here, it's fairly well-known.

Personally, I think everyone on this forum should learn the song, memorize the lyrics, and pull it out at the next Christmas party they play.

Yeah.

...AND Bad Santa.

I'm thinking that he's kinda like the evil clowns who murder people. Same type of thing: a "Good Guy" that we've grown up with turns bad... very bad.

I LIKE IT. :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Bela Fleck and The Flecktones are very entertaining and very interesting. Phenomenal musicians and top notch performances.

These are one of the rare modern jazz groups I like. Too many jazz groups are all techniques/scales with little lyrical expression and melody. The Flecktones are the exception. Adding to their appeal is the unorthodox instruments - I mean how many jazz groups feature a BANJO?!? Blend of world music with bebop, funk, and jazz make for an eclectic mix. Bela keeps a keen ear for guest performers who play unusual instruments, his Live At The Quick DVD features some unusual performers yet still make it interesting (IE chromatic steel drums playing jazz - has to be heard to be believed).

I caught one of their shows three years ago. The place was PACKED. Keep in mind that this is a town with zero public resources (radio, etc) where Bela's music is heard. Yet they sold out the place. That says something interesting.

Reminds me of a gem of a horror movie:

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space"

That's the one.

I played santa when my daughters were in kindergarten.

Yeah.

Went over to the little building where they're holed up with my Santa suit on... gloves, boots, the whole deal.

Scared the KRAP outta those li'l chilluns.

No, I dint mean to. But kids - especially little kids - can get scared from some old fat guy dressed up as Santa... or even a young, skinny guy. And you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary - just stand there and give out gifts and such.

I mean BAWLIN' their little heads off. Booo- Hooooin.

I'm a Baaaaaad Santa. :evil::(:/

Yeah. :thu:

:snax:

But kids - especially little kids - can get scared from some old fat guy dressed up as Santa... or even a young, skinny guy. And you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary - just stand there and give out gifts and such.

Maybe it's just... you? :D

But kids - especially little kids - can get scared from some old fat guy dressed up as Santa... or even a young, skinny guy. And you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary - just stand there and give out gifts and such.

Maybe it's just... you? :D

Ya. :)

Hey Jeff -

Luv ya... Mean it.

Tom

PS Still have that Alesis 3630. I think of you whenever I swear at it. ;)

I've been a Bela fan since he played with NewGrass Revival. (before the Flecktones) I'm a bluegrass fan.

I've seen him many times with NewGrass and with The Flecktones. The last time I saw the Flecktones was at the Pistoia Festival in Italy a few years ago. The Flecktones aren't exactly my cup of tea, but there is no denying that they are all monster technicians/musicians and they put on one hell of a show.

My favorite Flecktones concert was a few years before that, when I saw them in Saranac Lake, NY and Sam Bush was playing mandolin. Extraordinary.

Bela keeps a keen ear for guest performers who play unusual instruments, his Live At The Quick DVD features some unusual performers yet still make it interesting (IE chromatic steel drums playing jazz - has to be heard to be believed).

VERY Highly Recommended! :thu:

Bela had recently released a duet album with Chick Corea, I haven't picked it up yet but there's two artists I never would have thought to pair up, but I'm intrigued by the combination.

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

My favorite Christmas album is Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas". We play it over and over this time of year. It's a classic. Mannheim Steamroller Christmas has some interesting synth textures also.

http://www.vinceguaraldi.com/images/img_2.gif

Bela Fleck also appears on some tunes with Pat Metheny, but I'm not sure what albums. Also did some things with Bruce Hornsby, but again, my memory is pretty much gone when it comes to recall these kind of details, or anything else for that matter!

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

3D Illusions

KLONK HERE

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/images/mur2.jpg

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/images/swim2.jpg

Off, off-topic? Ummmm, yeah.

But I thought you'd enjoy these pics. :cool:

Last night I watched Stanley Clarke's new DVD, on a couple songs he's paired up with Bela on his electric solidbody banjo, Stewart Copeland on drums, and a female violinist who was incredible (don't know who she was, it wasn't Regina Carter). Interesting, and burning, combo. :thu:

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Archived