Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Documentary--Herbie Hancock "Possibilities"

ProfD

Yeah, I know cats are digging on "The River" now. The Showtime Network is airing a documentary on the story behind "Possibilities".

I caught the tail end so I've tivo'd it. The snippets I caught were Herbie on a Korg OASYS and Wayne Shorter playing a tune together and then, Herbie comping over a funky groove. :)

Has anyone already seen the entire program?

Always great to hear and see a legend making new music. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. I bought the dvd as soon as it came out. Herbie's too cool. From Miles to Speak Like a Child, to Fat Albert, to Sextant, to Head Hunters, to Round Midnight, to Gershwin, and so on. He'll embrace it all and nail it.

'Wood, I figured you were up on it. :)

Herbie messes heads up because nothing is off limits musically. Yet, he does it effortlessly and still sounds great. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I saw part of it on cable and it prompted me to buy the CD. I love the collaboration between artists and styles. It's a good project to listen to...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

How do you have that much knowledge and not be some musical snob of some sort and play with the same intent with Sam Rivers or Jonny Lang? There's a lesson there somewhere.

I'm with you on this. Herbie's got his life AND his chops together.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I "DVR'd" it a couple of weeks ago and watched it a few times since. Can't bring myself to erase it. Not yet, at least.

The John Mayer tune still kills me. I don't know why. I just totally dig it.

It must be the Buddhism.

Could be Bud-ism.

Herbie is one of my standards....from all of the Herbie "era's" listed above... Miles 4 or More, he kills on 7 Steps...Herbie is a great example of why a player shouldnt pigeon hole himself into simply 1 style of music...I dont have showtime either, better go get this....

• 1 month later...

Did anyone notice that it sounded like Herbie was talking a little funny? I hadn't heard anything about any physical problems so I began to wonder if he and gotten dentures recently. It sounded like he wasn't totally in control of the forming of his words. Any ideas?

Also, John Mayer must be pretty confident to not really work on anything for a session with HERBIE HANCOCK until the night before!

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Could be Bud-ism.

I know plenty of musicians who get their good will from Bud-weiser-ism. :wave:

I have lots of Herbie stuff, but my favorite is a somewhat obscure solo piano recording he did in 1978 called "The Piano". The entire record was made direct-to-disc in one pass! It sounds amazing, and his playing is out of this world.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

The John Mayer tune still kills me. I don't know why. I just totally dig it.

My band has been playing that John Mayer tune "Stitched Up" since the "Possibilities" CD came out. It goes over really well and it's a blast to play.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Archived