Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

OK

I my not be around the forum much for a few days.

It was just announced at our school that we have Ofsted (the government inspection goons) in on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

That means solid work tomorrow, all weekend, and Monday to Wednesday . . . and then relax . . .or not depending on the outcome!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

I my not be around the forum much for a few days.

It was just announced at our school that we have Ofsted (the government inspection goons) in on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

That means solid work tomorrow, all weekend, and Monday to Wednesday . . . and then relax . . .or not depending on the outcome!

Hey, I'm a government goon as well! :mad:

Ha they should come and inspect my old school during lunch breaks and after school...still I've heard there isn't as much trouble as there was when I was there.

Yeah well, I think I will ask something. This one is for the Brits unless the advert is in the US to. I saw this advert for some sort of Sony product, there was a guy walking down the street some woman drop there stuff when they see him and some guy seems to be coming on to him as he goes through a door on the street. The music in the advert had a really cool bass, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what effects where used. Distortion is there I'm sure of that, and my friend said there is a bit of re-verb to, just wondering if anyone could work out how to get it. Thanks.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Check out the Geico commercial featuring Peter Frampton. Not as cool as the Little Richard original, but pretty cool nontheless.

.....and is anybody else besides my wife and I watching "30 Rock"? It is about the only thing we look forward to on the DVR each week.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Floods:

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/msg/526284145.html

Speaking of floods, I had a doozy of a flood this morning at about 9:30. The pipe that brings water into my house broke clean off right on the wrong side of the shutoff valve while I was putting metal duct tape on the furnace ducts (the metal kind of tape, not the gray "Duck Tape"). Water shot out all over our laundry/utility room, all over the furnace, etc. I was able to wrangle the semi-pliable black plastic pipe out from behind the furnace and shoot 80% of the water into the washing mashine. I set the washing machine on spin cycle, and stuck a pair of scissors into the little switch to keep it turned on. My lovely wife heard my screams and called the water department, then got the hose that is used to vacuum the pool out from the shed; it fit perfectly; she is brilliant! Water guy showed up only 5 minutes after he was called. Plumber/furnace guy arrived in under an hour to fix the pipe and get the furnace up and running again. Made it to work by 2PM, only two hours late. Our house is a log home, so there was no wallboard to be demolished; an hour with a wet/dry vac, couple of fans, we should be back to normal by tomorrow night.

Yup. Not my first flood, but thankfully this one wasn't my fault. And the best part of living in a log home: no wallboard!

Could have been much worse, hope your day is much better.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I have to admit, the whole concept of log houses make me very very curious. I would love to see some pics, if you don´t care. Since I do live on an almost 50 years old apartment in the very downtown of our city, is kinda of a new concept for me (even tho, when I met Mr. Vic Wooten back in 1997, he mentioned something about also living in a log house).

About a month ago, I came home about 11:00 pm, and was washing some dishes, when the tube that goes from the wall to the sink´s faucet broke off. The valve that shuts off the water service for my apartment is in the common corridor, just outside my door, in the same closet as the trash duct is. Some genius thought it might be "safer" to keep that closet´s door closed, and it happens that, for more than 35 years, nobody has ever had the key to that knob. There, almost midnight, we had to hammer-break the door knob (My beloved one did it while I was holding the bare tube end trying (unsuccesfully) to cork it with my thumb. The whole kitchen flooded, water came close to the living room, when we finally could open the darn thing and shut the valve off. Then, after the cleansing, and about midnight, we were so sweaty and dirty... with a broken tubing in the kitchen and the water valve shut off. The solution? Find the other half of the broken tubing, put some hot glue (silicone) on it and wait for it to dry. Since the tubing entry is conical, once the glue dries up, with the water pressure it would hold against the cone-form and seal it, so we could open the water valve again and take a shower. Amazing how you can come with a solution on such a state. beautiful way to spend the midnight :D

The morning after I bought the new tubing, and went crazy about buying some small shut add-on valves for almost every water tubing in the house. I have not installed them all yet, but I am on my way... And also had to buy and install a new door knob (WITH enough spare keys!) for the trash/water valves closet...

On the other hand, my father, who moved about three years ago away from the city into a plains zone (Now instead of designing buildings he prefers to make plants grow, I almost understand him...) but the town where he lives in is in some kind of a lowland, a depression. Some of the farms which are in the suburbs (including his), have dams, and last August it was a heavy rain season. Well, two of the biggest dams from the farms nearby went off, and the water came across the little town. Fortunately, my dad´s house suffered no damage, besides a lot of mud (we´re talking about 3 foot of water running in the street) and some water that actually could get into the garage and the house´s porch, but no major losses there. Another family, unfortunately, had their house right on the water´s way, so the water just took it off the ground.. literally. The image (as described by my dad, I had not seen it) was fairly curious... there could be seen the square where the house was, the foundations... and a different square within, with a w.c. on it. Was the only part of the house that, surprisingly, remained still. Would have loved to have a pic, tho... :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

I wonder how come this thread really hasn't taken off here at all (sorry Maisie) when it was such a big hit on the Guitar Forum. Possibly because it was started for such a specific reason on the GF - that regulars were fed up with large numbers of OT posts - so I guess there was less need for it here. The differences between the forums are interesting reflecting both number of regulars, number of occasional posters, length and number of threads, personalities of instrumentalists?, preferences of mods etc.

Of al the forums I've ever visited though (admittedly not too many) this one definitely feels like home.

God! Well, this is my first week at work over! I worked overtime today and just got home 30mins ago. I am pooped! Although I am 16 I get paid minimum wage, so thats pretty kool for my age :) Role on my 17th so i can go and get out driving!

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Before I can say "You're a jumper", I need to know what it is :) A jacket?

Ah yes american version.

Today I have been wearing black pants, a white shirt and brown sweater. They're my informal threads.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

£5.52, i think thats...$11.04 or is it....$2.76?

Roughy $3, pretty tough to live on I say.

Minimum wage for a 16 year old is £3.40. At the current exchange rate thats less than $6.80 and dropping.

18-21 is £4.60

22+ is £5.52

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

500 posts :cool:

I just figured I throw that in this thread. Thanks to all you guys and gals for the advice, tips, and war stories; they have definitely helped.

In those 500, there has been little of this: :idea:

A lot of this: :blah:

Maybe a little: :deadhorse:

So far I have enjoyed my time here :snax: and will continue to :rawk: in the future.

-Anthony