Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

I have mixed feelings about the external power supply - I would definitely want to have a spare one if I bought a PC4. I've dealt with numerous PC3K8s for various installations and had more than one power supply failure with them. (This never happened with the older K2600s and I went through tons of those back in the day.) I'd much rather have a replaceable external power supply than a 45 pound paperweight.

I have had excellent reliability with the new Fatar keybeds in the PC3K8s - this was always a terrible problem with the K2 series. I hope these new keybeds are as durable.

I understand there will be different points of view on this, but to me, it's a simple signal as to whether it's a professional instrument or not. Top flight, roadworthy instruments are generally going to have internal PSUs.

When I see an external PSU, I interpret it to be midgrade or prosumer.

Why would you care about an external PSU if you'd never take the board out?

Because it signals the intent/target market for the instrument. You're not going to find world-beating, top flight features coupled with an external PSU. Porsche doesn't engineer a world-class powertrain with a finely-tuned front suspension and then slap a solid rear axle on their vehicles. The two just don't go together.

And when you go onstage and the internal power supply dies, then what? At least with an external power supply, given you packed a spare, you're up and running in minutes. It's happened to me twice, once on a mixer and once on my V5+. Fortunately I had a spare power supply with me in both instances and rolled forward. If the power supply goes on my PC3, I'm f*cked.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

any idea on the weight (unless I missed it somewhere) - I gig with a PC1x (that I love except for the weight ) .. got an SP6, but just not working for me , so will more that likely sell it...PC4 may be a good replacement option for my gigging PC1x

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

The weight has not been published (probably intentionally) and the product is not in the market, so I'm not sure how anyone would know unless someone from the Kurzweil organization leaks the information out or publishes it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

And when you go onstage and the internal power supply dies, then what? At least with an external power supply, given you packed a spare, you're up and running in minutes. It's happened to me twice, once on a mixer and once on my V5+. Fortunately I had a spare power supply with me in both instances and rolled forward. If the power supply goes on my PC3, I'm f*cked.

Ext. PSU = easier to replace

Int. PSU = normally better quality/reliability

there might be rare exceptions though ...

A.C.

Ext. PSU = easier to replace

Int. PSU = normally better quality/reliability --> but adds to the overall weight.

there might be rare exceptions though ...

A.C.

Probably another reason for the PC4's final outcome.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Im gonna predict that the weight will be under 15kg, probably around the 14kg mark. (SP6 is, what, 12.6kg or so?) The issues with boards like this is the look of the bulky plastic construction. Think Yamaha Moxf8 etc

Its not a great look. But, the overall package will no doubt suit many people.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

There is much to like here. The addition of an FM engine, 256 note polyphony, and personally I like the shorter width with the wheels up top.From the weight of the SP6 with same or similar action, I assume it will be a good bit lighter than the heavy PC3 series.

The small display is a puzzle considering other manufacturers are moving toward large touchscreens even on lower end boards. The small screen, choice of action, and external PS makes me wonder if this going to be priced significantly lower than the PC3 series.

There are at least two problems with external power supplies that have left a bad taste in mouths -

1) it's implementation with flimsy wire and connections that can easily break (hello Yamaha).

2) Something absolutely vital that you can misplace or forget when gigging.

A nice thick cord with the PS lump in the middle, and a deal of getting two of them with a keyboard purchase, either free or at cost, would help our attitudes here I believe.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Just wondering, are those (drum)pads on the left?

Or just look alike push buttons?

If they would be real touch and pressure sensitive pads, it would open some really nice options for the future...

Those are buttons, as a guess the ones on the left under the sliders look like they maybe for the step sequencer.

"16 arpeggiators (Classic or Step sequencers) with dedicated front-panel controls"

The ones on the right are category buttons just like my SP6.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Over on the Mastering VAST forum, the weight has been given as 12.3 Kg, / about 27 pounds for the 88 key version. Price under that of a PC3K8. A 73 (76?) note PC4 is eventually planned.

rumor>

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

For my limited sample - out of about 18 PC3K8s over five years I've had three power supplies fail. I'll take the external PSU in this case.

I use a PC361 daily since 2011.

No real failure.

Only exceptions were the unsealed Alfa/Taiwan pitchwheel and modwheel pots.

Since I replaced ´em by what Yamaha uses,- sealed ALPS pots,- I see no issues at all.

In fact I hate external PSUs because these are separate small items which need extra care in cable cases because their tiny connectors and thin cable can break easily.

That also rules for the line lump type PSUs where you connect a standard mains cable to one end, but can´t on the other, as also any momentary switch pedals and CC pedals w/ permanently attached cables.

When PC3K models PSUs are prone to fail, it´s not matter if these are internal or external.

It´s matter of the parts quality like it is w/ these Alfa/Taiwan pots.

Means,- when I learn a manufacturer chooses cheapest components, I don´t buy again until I´m sure it changed.

A.C.

I'll stay with my L2661. I want a keyboard with a build quality like it.

I'll be waiting for the next K, if they will release it some day in the future. I would buy Forte if they have released it as a 61 key model...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

256 voices...very nice!

But....still the same base ROM as the PC3 + Kore 64 and the AP, EP etc from Forte SE? Aka the whole ROM from Forte SE?

Same LFO´s and envelopes? rolleyes

When Kurzweil decides to make a NEW base ROM, with seriously updated sounds instead of re-using ancient sounds (not talking about the Forte Pianos and K-2000 compability of course), that´s when I will buy a new Kurz...

No, when they in addition update the envelopes, LFO´s and (still) aliasing VA-1 synth engine...

Seriously, for how long can they milk these outdated things???

I always had a love/hate relationship with my Kurzweils....

On one hand, no other synth has the flexibility to alter and shape sounds the way Kurzweil can....no other synth has these brilliant midi/master functions....

But then comes the ROM....all the others were always lightyears ahead when it comes to variety of sounds...

Imagine a Kurz with a ROM like Korg or Yamaha added in addition to their legacy ROM...

I have been waiting for this like 20 years....

I even went so far because I like Kurz capabilities so much that I thought of sampling the ROM of my different, Roland, Yamaha and Korg synths...but that´s a MAJOR PITA

Why do you almost never see Kurzweils live?

Why do you almost always see Motifs, Kronos live (apart from the NORD users)

Take a guess

When will Kurzweil wake up???

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Take a guess

Because almost no one sells them. I'd probably have one instead of my Motif had a single store in Minnesota had them.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Take a guess

Because almost no one sells them....

Quite a bit of truth here. I purchased mine on research and faith. Never really got my hands on one to try before the purchase.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

yes, I kept my fingers crossed when I bought my SP-6..it was a groove though...I couldn't take the MX-88's GHS action! The piano samples were more varied also and a welcomed change of pace... but it was all on faith!

Ash used to carry them but they told me they had to send so many new units back because of their packaging they dropped them... I'm sure there my have been other reasons ...they had to return to many coming in damaged they said into stock! this was at their flagship store here in Carle Place.. on Long Island ...what 10 years ago at least...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I purchased my SP6 based mostly on having previously owned an SP4-7 which also had a Medeli keybed. My only complaint with it was the dated 'Triple Strike' pianos, everything else I liked a lot. So I wasn't too worried, also others had described it as similar to the Yamaha GHS. Which was on the Yamaha MOX8 I sold to help pay for it. So it wasn't a huge leap of faith buying it online having not played one.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Maybe because you're not at a Broadway show looking into the pit?

You used to see/hear them more 10-20 years ago.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Maybe because you're not at a Broadway show looking into the pit?

You used to see/hear them more 10-20 years ago.

And why is that?

Because that now ancient ROM was cutting edge at the time.... 20 years ago...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

And why is that?

Because that now ancient ROM was cutting edge at the time.... 20 years ago...

They have 16GB in the Forte and 2GB in the ForteSE/SP6/PC4 of new ROM, plus the KORE64 stuff (which includes a bunch of analog synths that don't take much memory). Plus the PC3 stuff. Plus the new FM stuff in the Forte and PC4, which seems to offer a ton of possibilities and possibly foreshadows more synthesis goodies to come.