Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

if you can find one a Roland EV-7 (not the crappy EV-5). The EV-7 had a nice long sweep like the FC-7 but Kurz uses Roland logic on their expression input so no "Ashby" adapter needed, it's a smooth 0-127.  That pedal is discontinued so you'd have to find a used one (they're built like tanks).

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ev-7/

• Thanks 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and also to using a brand new PC4, to replace my beloved and old PC3X.

I wanted to know where I could find higher quality orchestral sounds than the factory predefined ones. I think the ones on my old PC3X sounded much better. And also how to get the sounds you mention from Dave Weiser.

Thank you all for your contributions to this forum.

7 hours ago, XaviKurzweilPC4 said:

I wanted to know where I could find higher quality orchestral sounds than the factory predefined ones. I think the ones on my old PC3X sounded much better.

I'm pretty sure the PC4 orchestral samples are either the same as, or a superset of, the PC3.  Like you, I have both.

Is it possible that it's a velocity response issue from playing on two different keybeds?

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I have both the PC3 and PC4 as well (ironically I got the PC4 first, before scoring a used PC3 in great shape a couple years later).  Sort of adding on to what Tom mentioned regarding the sample content...I think the issue with the PC4 presets (orchestral and otherwise) has to do more with the programming than the actual quality of the sounds/samples.  Not sure how comfortable you are programming the PC4 (might not be an issue since you're coming from the PC3), but I think if you're willing to set up your own programs and multis, then there's no reason from a technical standpoint that the PC4 shouldn't match--or in some cases, exceed--the PC3.  I do recall being somewhat underwhelmed by the presets programs and multis, and thinking it was sort of a lazy effort when I first got the PC4 though.

All that said, reaching out to Dave Weiser still may be your best bet...I believe he did a lot of the programming on the PC3--which may be reason #1 why they seem to pop a bit more than some of the stuff on the PC4! 

Sidebar: I've been meaning to reach out to him myself since I first got my PC4, but I've been gigging with it so much, it kinda slipped off my radar.  I'd still like to get my hands on his presets and explore those eventually though.  It's really awesome of him to continue to support these Kurzweils even though he's no longer working directly with their dev team (I don't think)...and even for folks that didn't buy through him.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, XaviKurzweilPC4 said:

I think the ones on my old PC3X sounded much better.

The PC4 includes all the sample data of the PC3 series, but not all the programs. So if you miss some of the sounds from the PC3X, you can load those sounds into the PC4. There's a link somewhere for downloading those sounds, I don't have it off-hand, but someone else probably will.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hello again

This weekend I was downloading and testing Dave Weiser's courtesy sounds, I liked them a lot about all the synths. The truth is that there are presets that sound very good.

Music is a hobby for me. Pure entertainment for home. It doesn't go beyond. 

Despite having the second-hand Pc3x that I acquired a couple of years ago, I don't program sounds, I make some variation but nothing more. The Pc4 is also second-hand.

You are right to say that the sound differences that I appreciate are programming issues of the presets.  I imagine that I have gotten used to PC3 and now with the new PC4 I need time to get used to it. It seems clear that it's the programming

Likewise for those of you who have had the possibility to compare and play a k2700, do you think that the sound and audio quality is the same as PC4?  I'm not referring to the audio interface, nor the touch of the Fatar, nor the pads on the right panel. I'm referring exclusively to the quality of the audio and definition of the sound.

Thank you all