Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

Just like I wish the Nord Electro had the A1 synth in it.

Electro+A1 is something really close to the Stage. That's an overlap! What Am I missing?

How much more expensive it is than an Electro. ;-) NS3 also does a lot more, though...

...NS3 lets you process samples through the synth functions while the A1 does not (these include sounds from Nord's sample library, the built-in S-wave waveforms, and your own custom samples)

...NS3 has aftertouch

...NS3 has more polyphony (34 in the synth section vs 26 on the A1)

...NS3 has more effects available

...NS3 lets you play two sampled sounds (or two piano sounds) simultaneously

...NS3 includes support for external MIDI zones

...NS3 includes double the piano memory (2 GB vs 1)

plus some other stuff.

A1 does have a couple of things not on the NS3...

...A1 lets you split/layer 4 synth sounds, vs. 2 on the NS3

...A1 lets you morph based on velocity, NS3 does not

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also, I see only two lightweight 73s with decent hammer action and they are both from Yamaha. P121 and CP73. I'm gonna buy both and celebrate the evolution!

Lets hope the CP73 action (BHS) is a lot better than the P121 keybed, which is simply a shortened GHS version (as in both MX88 and MODX8).

The MX88 and MODX8 have the same action.

88keys yes, as also the P125, but synth type MX/MODX (49/61/76) I think no.

Also there is the cheap NP series, with light chassis, MXs keys, a few sounds, speakers and batteries.

How much more expensive it is than an Electro. ;-) NS3 also does a lot more, though...

If Electro has A1, the price would be way up. Sure there are differences, but as I said, really close. If you want a good ap/ep/organ and a good va, you usually end up on two keyboards or an all-around, I don't see a lot of interested in-between electro/stage, cause Electro is already overpriced for the features.

As a electrical engineer with interest in great fusion Jazz sounds from the proper days (of there is such thing) it makes me sad to hear people only go on about stuff that's not so terribly interesting or promising for serious musicians, working on their craft, and not some marketing scheme.

The electronics circuit modelling, the spectral component modelling, and the way a pro digital signal processing setup can be created with the Yamaha wave processor chips isn't the same as clunking something together with colored sliders. And if people think it is, they're wrong.

T.

This news actually triggered me to buy a used cp4..

The cp4, is still a perfect instrument for the lower position in a setup due to the comtrolls sitting all on yhe front.. it should allow me to have 2 keyboards right on top of eachother more akin to an organ, instead of the 2nd keyboard hoovering high above the first one..

I dont see much difference where it comes to sound quallity, and keybed quallity... the cp4 still sounds and feels top knotch

Interestingly, the CP40 is still around. I don't know if they're just selling it until they run out, or if they intend to keep that in production. If the latter, it remains a viable alternative for those who prefer a Yamaha stage piano with more of the CP4 approach (more sounds, compact control surface to keep a second board closer). It also knocks over 5 lbs off the weight of the CP88.

And picking up from an earlier post of mine in this thread and in another... the P515 is still a better "piano" than any of them... but that doesn't make it a better *gigging* piano.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interestingly, the CP40 is still around. I don't know if they're just selling it until they run out, or if they intend to keep that in production. If the latter, it remains a viable alternative for those who prefer a Yamaha stage piano with more of the CP4 approach (more sounds, compact control surface to keep a second board closer). It also knocks over 5 lbs off the weight of the CP88.

And picking up from an earlier post of mine in this thread and in another... the P515 is still a better "piano" than any of them... but that doesn't make it a better *gigging* piano.

The 40 is a good style and price for schools and churches.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

And how many here have actually played one.

If this is a comment on the arc of these threads, Im with ya.

Me three! The proof is always in the hands on PLAYING! I know, I know, speculation is fun, but I prefer my fun in the process of actual playing and creating.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

And how many here have actually played one.

If this is a comment on the arc of these threads, Im with ya.

That's it we have all kinds of opinions and comments about a board almost no one has played. Just like the Hammond XK5 and a bunch of other boards have had to endure around here.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and takes a dump like a duck, it's probably a duck. It is very unlikely to magically transform into an elegant swan in less than 24hrs.

Having said that, I personally have nothing against ducks. I like ducks. But ducks are not swans and never will be.

:)

My post NAMM thoughts.

I REALLY want to like this board. In some ways, it competes with the Korg SV-1. It is a very hands-on and friendly board. It's very easy to build layers and it is an inspiring board. I don't know, however, if I can justify getting rid of my SV for it. And even though it has more tones, it does have some glaring limitations (Rotary OR Distortion on an organ preset but not both??). After two days with it, I wanted to fall in love with this board. I can only honestly say it's a crush at this point.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Played this at NAMM today. G-- D--m. It's what I've been missing from the world class CP4 - Nord quality EPs and clavs. I will need some more time alone with the pianos before really deciding though. 6 minutes in headphones does not an honest assessment make.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I can hear the AWM in the lower registers in the new CP's vids I think which I always preferred to SCM in the bass octaves or at least missed a component of how it responds down there... but the mid range and top end AWM was never as good as the low end with AWM... and overall, never as smooth as SCM, but sometimes more resonant. . .better for rock in a lot of ways cause it gives you more cut, ... but the kicker for me is again, no Sympathetic Resonance, which, even on a loud stage I feel helps me smooth things out playing live, I don't care what they say about it being useless in a louder context. a big reason the CP300 sounds as good as it does with AWM I feel or at least playing wise . . they are almost to strict with how they apply their options Yamaha... too tight. I know they make $ that way and all... and I understand why they may have chosen AWM with their new 'sound upgrade' with the new CP's....if that is the case.

But still 'Clonewheel Challanged'...at least update their organs with an 'attempt' one cycle? Been decades! I think they are losing out with that but who knows . . .

I hope to check out the new CP at GC or Ash soon...but I still like my SCM in my CP50 and I can edit it more than on the CP4 I believe.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Any more thoughts on the CP73 action?

As for sympathetic resonance, couldnt this be included when they add new sample sets?

Interesting, Dave felt it was synthy feeling. Which is surprising. I find the action on the some Yamaha's like the Montage 8 to have synthy feeling keys, but the weight and swing of the action is not what I would call a synth action. Won't know till the shops have one on the floor unfortunately (if ever).

Mark my words, leaving off sympathetic resonance was a business decision. I doubt highly it will show up in a firmware update unless there is outcry that results in poor sales.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting, Dave felt it was synthy feeling. Which is surprising. I find the action on the some Yamaha's like the Montage 8 to have synthy feeling keys, but the weight and swing of the action is not what I would call a synth action.

Thats my thoughts on the Montage 8 action as well.

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

But still 'Clonewheel Challanged'...at least update their organs with an 'attempt' one cycle? Been decades! I think they are losing out with that but who knows . . .

I wonder if they gave any thought to building in the Reface YC functionality/controls, even if it would have added a few hundred dollars. Kind of a double-edged sword, because then you'd also have people complaining about how it's a $2000+ board and yet the organ engine lags so far behind Nord/Roland/Mojo/whoever.

Dave what do you like about the CP4 that the CP88 lacks?

I heard the CP88 piano as sounding a bit synthetic , like I initially commented on in the videos. However just like you mentioned and giving it the benefit of the doubt- just with a short time playing it with phones, plus add it the extreme noise factor from the floor - I can't be 100% conclusive on it.

I hear the CP4 as having a less digital sound, a warmer tone in the middle for chords and lines. The new one had more presence in the top end for sure but I just didn't care as much for the overall tone. Again a short time on it, playing with phones (of questionable quality) with excessive background noise where I had to really strain to hear anything.

And I only played the piano, no EPs or other sounds.

Thanks for posting. I may not understand how manufacturers do things but aren't the CFX and Bosendorfer sounds in the CP88 the same as in the new AdavntGrande N1X that you liked much better. Are the sample sounds actually different? or just the speaker system you heard them through?

Curious how the feel of the CP88 keyboard was. According to Yamaha PR its the same or maybe even upgraded from the CP4 but maybe thats not correct.

The AvantGrande N1X may be nicer feel but the MSRP = $10,999 so a little too rich for my budget although it would look nice in my house.

And were you able to check out the Dexibells?

Curious how the feel of the CP88 keyboard was. According to Yamaha PR its the same or maybe even upgraded from the CP4 but maybe thats not correct.

The AvantGrande N1X may be nicer feel but the MSRP = $10,999 so a little too rich for my budget although it would look nice in my house.

Yamaha sez the action of the CPs is close to Montage8

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Yamaha sez the action of the CPs is close to Montage8

Only on CP73 model. CP88 is completely different.

That was my experience as well with Dexibell, Dave.....

It was sad because I want them to succeed. I think they are young and hungry and have many good ideas. But, not quite there yet, imo.

Robert Bosch, 1919