Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would You Buy a Used Theramin for $100?

Like the title says...

I've been offered a "lightly used" and fully functional Burns B3 Theramin for only $100 delivered....

Is that a good make and model, and is that a decent price? I see it gets a 4.4 of 5.0 rating on Amazon, and they're $200 new, plus shipping.

For sure, there's no need to worry about pitch bend, screen display, the # of keys, the action weight, etc. -- but...

-- But...

But then -- "what the heck" do I do with it ? ? ?

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I obtained a Moog Theramin a few years back for the absurd price of $150. Spent about two weeks trying to learn my scales, then stuck it on a shelf. Like my decades-unused brass instruments, I refuse to admit to myself that I'll never actually do anything with it.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I have 2 Theremins; use them both. The key to making them useful is to run them through a multi-FX unit. It will still take you some time to get comfortable with it and make pleasant sounds. If you don't take to it, sell it along to a jam band, Zep tribute, etc. If you demo it through the FX you can at least double your money ð .

I don't know about the make, but I can offer some advice:

- I would check calibration. It should have a five octave range, more or less. Generally, calibrating it is not particularly easy. I don't know about that particular model, though.

- Have you tried to play one? Playing even the simplest musical phrase with a minimum of accuracy requires weeks of practice. Unless you are happy to use it just for space effects, it can be very frustrating.

- It's *very* easy to imitate a theremin with a synthesizer! ;)

You can dress up in a dragon print kimono and pretend you're Jimmy Page at Madison Square Garden playing no quarter. That alone is $100 worth.

You can recreate old timey radio broadcasts about scifi invasions. Another$100 worth of fun.

You can take your theremin to the beach and play sweet love songs to the passing whales. Easily worth $100.

That's $300 of worth you get for $100. I dont see how you can afford to NOT get a $100 theremin.

FunMachine.

For sure, there's no need to worry about pitch bend, screen display, the # of keys, the action weight, etc. -- but...

Old No7

I'd think they should throw in the pitch bender at no extra cost. Otherwise, the deal's off!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'm currently (since this summer) in the process of trying to learn theremin and I can confirm it's not easy. To put it more clearly, it's friggin' hard. Like learning from zero any other instruments, if not more.

It will take months to be able to do very basic things, like a scale. Precise jumps between non-consecutive notes, like playing a C and then an F, are a VERY advanced skill. After 3-4 months of practice, I'm not even close to doing that reliably.

It's true that sound-wise, any synthesiser can do anything a theremin can do, and then about 2846 things more.

But I must say that the physical and musical experience of playing theremin is totally unique and fascinating.

It's probably the best (and hardest) possible training for the ear and intonation. You think you got that note right, you check the tuner...and it's pretty humbling.

I was surprised by how physically challenging it is: you have to keep your whole body totally still except your forearms, hands and fingers. This is incredibly easier said than done, as the instrument reacts to MILLIMITERS of movement. Overall, it's a lot like doing tai chi: I realized how much I was wobbling and rocking back and forth, even when I thought I was perfectly still. Now after a few months I have much better core strength and much better control and consciousness of my whole body.

Oh, and of course it's not only you playing a theremin. EVERYBODY in the room will influence it...forget about practicing with a kid or a dog jumping around.

All in all, for 100 quids I'd say go for it and give it a try. You may like it or not, just remember it's not a toy that you learn in an afternoon of fiddling: you will not be able to play it musically unless you put in months (years) of serious work. You must approach it like you would a violin, saxophone or any other instrument you've never tried before.

Only you will know it it will be worth your time, but for that price, why not try?

For more advice and technical informazioni, you may find useful the thereminworld forum.

Two points:

1) Effects are key. A theramin by itself sounds okay, but add reverb/echo and it's a whole 'nother animal. Add other effects at your discretion.

2) If your frame of mind is that you must play identifiable melodies, perfectly on pitch, then you're going to have a learning curve...one that many people give up on. If you approach it more as a spice to be added to the main course rather than the meal, you can make immediate use of it and have a lot more fun. In this case you're going more for a swooping sound that's just wonderful if used in moderation. Whale sounds. Bird calls. Science fiction aliens with death rays. Your imagination is the limit.

Theramins are a blast. Have fun with it. Don't overthink it, Just go from the gut.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.