Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

I never cared a lot for Steve Hillage, he was too much like what I was doing at that time & I wanted him to be much better than anything I could do. But, he does a very credible imitation of Robert Plant. I actually really like his singing, which I hadn't heard before. Maybe if the guitar thing doesn't work out he can get a gig singing with a Zeppelin tribute band.
Scott Fraser

I never cared a lot for Steve Hillage, he was too much like what I was doing at that time & I wanted him to be much better than anything I could do. But, he does a very credible imitation of Robert Plant. I actually really like his singing, which I hadn't heard before. Maybe if the guitar thing doesn't work out he can get a gig singing with a Zeppelin tribute band.

I had either never heard of him, or completely forgotten if I had. Not necessarily something I'd be in the mood for all the time, but now and then, as with many things, it'd really hit the spot. And overall, that's a pretty impressive live performance by everyone involved!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I used to have one of those 14 string instruments. It needed some work and I gave it to a friend.

There are some lovely themes in your choices Surfer Girl, consider creating new, modern versions?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I used to have one of those 14 string instruments. It needed some work and I gave it to a friend.

There are some lovely themes in your choices Surfer Girl, consider creating new, modern versions?

I won't be using any 14 string instruments, maybe an 8 string ukulele. To use a surfboard reference, it's a blank piece of foam and I can make it whatever I want it to be.

Jenny S.

I won't be using any 14 string instruments, maybe an 8 string ukulele. To use a surfboard reference, it's a blank piece of foam and I can make it whatever I want it to be.

Since a ukelele is basically a 4 stringed acoustic guitar tuned to open A minor 7th (GCAE), by removing or muting the two lowest strings on a conventional six string acoustic, and then putting a capo at the fifth fret, voila, you now have a ukelele. If you were to do the same thing with a 12 string acoustic, you would basically have an 8 string ukelele. I don't know if you have a 12 string acoustic, or if you had any plans on getting one, but if you did, you could give that a shot and hear what it sounds like.

I rock; therefore, I am.

I've been in a Talking Heads mood. Today I listened to full albums, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues. Remain in Light has the song with my favorite guitar solo, The Great Curve. The first solo is at the 1:54 mark but my favorite solo is at the end of the song, 5:28 mark.

[video:youtube]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've been in a Talking Heads mood. Today I listened to full albums, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues. Remain in Light has the song with my favorite guitar solo, "The Great Curve". The first solo is at the 1:54 mark but my favorite solo is at the end of the song, 5:28 mark.

The great Adrian Belew!

I remember digging a live version of that song, from when Belew was touring with Talking Heads.

SL0v4Tk.jpg

I'll just leave this here (mentioning that this was one of the tunes that made me HAVE TO get an octave-fuzz!):

At RABid and Caevan, I love the earlier Talking Heads album with Psycho Killer because Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh and also More Songs about Buildings and Food because Life During Wartime (This ain't no party!!!!).

But both the albums you love are amazing too.

AND, I saw David Bowie on the Low Tour and he had Adrian Belew on guitar. That was a revalationary concert, one of the best I've seen by far.

So, yay~!!!!

I was usually the keyboardist in the band but Adrian Belew was my biggest influence. I wanted my synths to do the things that he was doing with amp and feedback. I spent hours working his style into my solos. Our singer once told me to stop making that space ship sounds, but other musicians kept coming up on break ask asking how I was doing those leads. He was a great influence.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I was usually the keyboardist in the band but Adrian Belew was my biggest influence. I wanted my synths to do the things that he was doing with amp and feedback. I spent hours working his style into my solos. Our singer once told me to stop making that space ship sounds, but other musicians kept coming up on break ask asking how I was doing those leads. He was a great influence.

Awesome, being a guitarist and a guitar tech I was pretty familiar with the technical aspect of what he was doing.

For all that, he sounded just like Adrian Belew and not like anybody else!!! I am hopeless at copying other guitarists, I am more of an impersonator a bar band guitarist version of Mel Blanc maybe. I'm building another guitar with a Floyd Rose vibrato so I can do all that crazy again.

I spent a long time learning how to sound like I have a whammy bar when I don't but now I am ready to have one again.

Since a ukelele is basically a 4 stringed acoustic guitar tuned to open A minor 7th (GCAE), by removing or muting the two lowest strings on a conventional six string acoustic, and then putting a capo at the fifth fret, voila, you now have a ukelele. If you were to do the same thing with a 12 string acoustic, you would basically have an 8 string ukelele. I don't know if you have a 12 string acoustic, or if you had any plans on getting one, but if you did, you could give that a shot and hear what it sounds like.

I don't own a 12 string, in fact I'm intimidated by anything over 6 strings. I have seen an Epi 12 string in the same price as a 8 string Ukulele. Maybe someday.

Jenny S.

One of our new members posted this - As If I Drank You.

I like the sound and the atmosphere.

Surfergirl, it is my experience that most 12 string guitars are not set up very well and quite a few are not made well enough to ever play as they should.

While a 12 string is certainly a guitar, in the same way that a bass guitar is also a guitar, a 12 string is different than a 6 string guitar.

That is part of what is good about it, you do have to learn to play it differently than a 6 string and that can take you to a different place. I've owned quite a few 12 string and set up many of them. Currently I have a Rainsong WS3000 acoustic and a project electric guitar - an Ovation Preacher body and a Deacon neck. The vintage Ovation 12 string guitars made in the USA are some of the easiest playing 12 strings I've ever tried. I used to have one of the Fender solid body 12 strings, those are really nice too.

Edited to add- I recently played an 8 string tenor uke at an independent music store south of here about 25 miles. I wanted to take it home, it was a wonderful instrument. I do love the ukulele, the compact size is compelling.

Go for a concert or larger, the soprano is just a bit too short scale for decent intonation. If you get one with a pickup it can become your open-mic instrument. Cheers, Kuru

At RABid and Caevan, I love the earlier Talking Heads album with Psycho Killer because Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh Buh and also More Songs about Buildings and Food because Life During Wartime (This ain't no party!!!!).

But both the albums you love are amazing too.

AND, I saw David Bowie on the Low Tour and he had Adrian Belew on guitar. That was a revalationary concert, one of the best I've seen by far.

So, yay~!!!!

The story about how Belew came to play with Bowie is hilarious...

Belew had landed a touring gig with Zappa... and they did two nights in Berlin. The first night, Belew said he noticed Brian Eno kind of walk up to the edge of the stage and watch him for a bit, then he noticed he was standing backstage in the wings watching the set. At the end of the show he introduced himself and said "I've been working with Bowie and Fripp... David might need a guitarist for a tour... I'll see if I can get him to come and check you out tomorrow." So the next night Eno and Bowie are in the audience, and they come backstage at the end of the night and kind of pull Belew aside and say "we want to take you to dinner to dicsuss something... which hotel are you staying in, we'll pick you up later." So he goes back to the hotel and they ring his room and have him sneak out to get in a limo and they're being very clandestine about it and Bowie says "I'm taking you to my favorite restaurant... it's kind of off the beaten path so we'll have privacy." They get to the restaurant and walk in... and who is sitting at a big table right in the middle of the room? Zappa and some of the band! And they all look right at them... so Bowie goes into gracious social situation mode! "WHAT LUCK!!! LET US JOIN YOU!!! BRILLIANT SHOW TONIGHT!!!" And they sit down and Zappa is just leering at Bowie... who says "You know, Frank... this is a hell of a fine guitarist here that you've discovered!" and Zappa says "FU@K YOU, CAPTAIN TOM!!!" "Oh, come on, Frank... it's just business... I'm sure you can't keep him busy perpetually..." "FU@K YOU, CAPTAIN TOM!!!!" "Well, you know, we can consider schedules so nothing is interrupted..." "FU@K YOU, CAPTAIN TOM!!!" and the dinner goes on with otherwise small talk among various pairings... then when Zappa and his group get up to leave he looks at Bowie and says "FU@K YOU, CAPTAIN TOM!!!" Bowie looks at Belew and Eno and says "I think that went rather well..."

• 4 weeks later...

Love that story, though I can certainly understand Zappa's being pretty pissed. And his addressing Bowie as "Captain Tom"- priceless! :laugh::roll::D

Now... I so love this album. And I'm dyin' for there to be a follow-up!!

• 3 weeks later...

A twofer for ya:

Wow! HOW had I not heard of Soulive before- and I live in Upstate New York!

Mudcrutch...

I get the impression that the guitar players- that is, Tom Petty and Mike Campbell- had their pedals and tricks and they wanted to use 'em... :laugh:thumbs_up.gif:rawk:

Whoops! THIS is the one that I meant to post above, when I stated, 'I get the impression that the guitar players- that is, Tom Petty and Mike Campbell- had their pedals and tricks and they wanted to use 'em... ' Fazerz 'n waw-waws 'n stuff... :cool::rawk:

• 2 weeks later...
My mom brought Raising Sand home when it came out and I loved it. 14 years later, a 2nd album.

That"s going to be EPIC! (Loved their first album.)

Wayne Static died a couple years ago. About a year or so ago, his band mates in Static X tried to pick up the pieces by assembling an album using his last recordings, supposedly supplemented with work by new singer/guitarist, Ethan Dope. Here"s one of the first tracks I"ve heard from that project.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...