Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hip-Hop, ARRRRRRGH

Dave da Dude

Originally posted by Dan South:

Dave, I'm glad to see that you're expanding your musical horizons. Sure, there's plenty of "crap" in any genre, but there are some gems in there, too.

I'm a fan of -

- Naughty by Nature

- Young MC

- Public Enemy

- MC Solaar (raps in French)

and I'm starting to get into Tupac. Yes, I know, this stuff is rather "old skool," but sometimes those who did it first are those who did it best.

By the looks of things around here

we have alot of closet raper's. :wave:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RichardAshkenazi:

What was THAT all about? Should I be defending something again?

No homey

it's all good.I'm down wit dis dat and the utter

thang.I'm not a hater.just looking to break out

of this funk.Look around nobody want's a self-

indulging know it all guitar player with a big ego.It's about

the rhymes and the beats.rollin rollin rollin

what rollin rollin rollin. :cool:It's off the

heezy weezy!i'm out

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Three years wont change my opinion. I have tried broadening my horizons, and having an open mind about it, it didnt work it made me hate it more. and yeah talkin really fast might have talent but so does talkin like boomhower on King of the Hill, and wiping my ass. I like a very wide range of music, many kinds of rock, mainly good punk not this glitsy punk, country, blues, bluegrass, and rockabilly. so dont tell me i dont open horizons, cause my range used to be rock and thats it.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Originally posted by revorhythm:

Three years wont change my opinion. I have tried broadening my horizons, and having an open mind about it, it didnt work it made me hate it more. and yeah talkin really fast might have talent but so does talkin like boomhower on King of the Hill, and wiping my ass. I like a very wide range of music, many kinds of rock, mainly good punk not this glitsy punk, country, blues, bluegrass, and rockabilly. so dont tell me i dont open horizons, cause my range used to be rock and thats it.

I love you man! :love:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

we have alot of closet raper's.

I've heard of rappers, and I've heard of rapists, but I've never heard of a raper. What is it, and what is it doing in the closet?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I've heard of rappers, and I've heard of rapists, but I've never heard of a raper. What is it, and what is it doing in the closet?
:o Geeez how can i become a rapper if i can't

spell it?Thank's my brother for lookin out.

Rapper...Rapist....Rapper....rapist..mmmmmmmm

I thought they were one in the same my bad. :eek:

Let the bullets fly :wave:

:o Geeez how can i become a rapper if i can't

spell it?Thank's my brother for lookin out.

Rapper...Rapist....Rapper....rapist..mmmmmmmm

I thought they were one in the same my bad. :eek:

Let the bullets fly :wave:

:D So true.
Shut up and play.

Dave, I'm glad to see that you're expanding your musical horizons. Sure, there's plenty of "crap" in any genre, but there are some gems in there, too.

I'm a fan of -

- Naughty by Nature

- Young MC

- Public Enemy

- MC Solaar (raps in French)

and I'm starting to get into Tupac. Yes, I know, this stuff is rather "old skool," but sometimes those who did it first are those who did it best.

we have alot of closet raper's. :wave:

http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/otn/laughing/laugh2.gifhttp://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/lilly/hmm3grin2orange.gifhttp://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/ed/laugh.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

I think it's an interesting topic. I think it's funny Metalists putting down Hip Hoppers. To me they're cut from the same cloth.

There you go. I'm 35 and I've been a metalhead since day one. Not some mainstream metalhead, but the real underground die hard type. At one point in my travels, it had gotten to the point that Slayer wasn't heavy enough. Ever listen to any Discordance Axis?

Of course, after 20 years of following anything metal, the scene became pretty stale and has just about become a parody of itself.

The fire that defined metal has turned into a flicker. In the quest for that rage that metal recordings used to have, I stumbled across NWA.

I'm here to tell people that Niggas 4 Life/or The Chronic is the Reign In Blood of hip hop.

Gangsta rap is the same as underground metal. It's all about taking the anger and rage you have inside and finding a release for it.

I used to be of that "rap ain't music" opinion.

And for anybody that thinks it's easy to pull a sample from something and make it really work, try it out sometime. It's not as easy as it seems.

I'm a guitar player of 15+ years and I have spent the last year or so delving into the world of sampling. I think the future is in sampling.

All musicians do the same thing, regardless of genre: Organize a given set of sounds to achieve a certain result. In my opinion, everything has already been done. Every music genre/musician of today is reinterpreting something of the past.

Sampling is no different than playing any instrument. And who can deny that some of the FATTEST grooves ever were created in the past?

I know it's not always the case (some artists do take a well known hook and exploit it), but I'd like to think that a good number of samplists pull from certain music to give it props.

If you listen to the Chronic enough, I think you will eventually get the urge to hear some of the wicked 70's funk that helped the Chronic be so fat.

I'm just babbling so....

My biggest influences...

Billy Joel/Elton John

Black Sabbath/Zep/Floyd/Judas Priest-(pre Point Of Entry)

Motley Crue/Twisted Sister/Ratt/Dokken/Etc..

Slayer/etc

Napalm Death/Obituary/Discordance Axis/Assuck

Dre/NWA-etc/Beasties/Cypress Hill

Jeff Beck/Hendrix/Satriani/SRV

DRI/ST/Discharge/Expoited/Sex Pistols/DK

Good shit is in all forms of music.

Tip: I spend most of my time searching through the past for good music. More often than not, I'm listening to something 10 years after the fact. I find that it's a lot easier to sit out during these trends and see what stands the test of time.

Hype is the biggest trcick in the book and I never buy into the hype machine. Only after an album has been around for a few years and still has the hype do I then decide it may be worth checking out.

Originally posted by revorhythm:

rap and hip hop had meaning at first but now its junk there is no meaningful message[/QB]

So did metal, and one of the most important artists of that genre is a corporate whore now.

I've been a metalhead since 1982 and I've watched the metal scene become way more disgusting than any mainstream trend.

Metal just may be the trendiest genre, yet.

I haven't heard an original note out of the metal scene in almost ten years. You wanna talk about punks acting like they are hard? You think little trendy hip hoppers have an attitude? Try some of these black metal wankers.

The metal scene has more clones than any other scene, mainstream of otherwise.

In my opinion, until a person takes the time to actually research a genre and actually listen to the music, you aren't qualified to comment.

Like I said, I hated rap and was a die hard metalhead to the core. Once I actually opened my mind and listened to some REAL underground rap, I found the vibe and intensity that metal had lost.

I'm still waiting for metal to get back on track, but until then I'm going to be pumping some fat shit from MC Ren.

The same feelings that drive a portion of us pissed of white kids to create or listen to extreme metal is the same feelings that drive the black youth to create and listen to rap.

Forget what you hear on the radio. It ain't even close to the real shit. Get NWA's Niggas For Life and listen to it. The come back here and tell me that that album doesn't have just as much rage and intensity as anything metal.

The horse is up ,as stranger precedes to kick it around again.Raaaaaaaaaaap is music

but this is GUITAR FORUM.There is a rap forum

for those people who want to talk about rap.

This subject seems to get more post than any other thread.rap good ok now get over it.

NWA years ago stale now.Rap today is like 80's

hairbands not cool. :bor:

Good music stands the test of time.

NWA is not stale unless you base freshness on the date of release.

Jeff Beck released "Blow By Blow" how long ago? It is far from stale. I listen to it like every day.

Sorry I'm posting a response in a thread. Maybe I should have started to discuss the merits of mexican strats vs. american strats? I just didn't think it was appropriate for a hip hop thread. :freak:

pick up a copy of digital underground's 1st release, Sex Packets. It will reveal the guitar connection , as well as what can be dione with the style in the hands of thoughtful, talented, inventive entertainers!

well there is a lot of talk in here but nothing is really being said. as james brown said "talkin loud and sayin nothin".

first off, hip hop is a culture. rap is a form of music. the terms are often used as if they are synonymous when in reality that is not the case.

in general the quality of music on big radio stations is low regardless of genre. using the songs on the radio as a guage of talent in any genre will give you, at best, a poor sample. i saw this question posed to a famous rapper (and one of my favorites):

"AllHipHop: A lot of people that I know rhyme, but it seems like it's hard for any real MC to get any burn in the industry right now. It's so watered down, it's so fake, everybody's superthug or super wack or super promoted so the real MC's can't really seems to break through the industry and the corporate aspect of it, what's your advice on all that?"

i think that goes to show that those of us who do rap and are into rap are concerned about the direction that the pop segment of rap is going. if you don't like the rap you hear on the radio, then we agree on that point because i don't like it either.

the whole "rap is all garbage" argument is old, tired, and invalid. there is more to rapping than "talking fast". when i write a rap verse every syllable, breath and pause has it's place. i have created my own form of notation to show where i take a breath, how much of a breath i can take and so on. of course when i do it it looks easy, but it also looks easy when u watch jimi hendrix play his guitar. i have spent countless hours writing, revising, looking for the rightr words. sometimes u know what u want to say but it doesn't rhyme, so then it's like how do i still make the same point and make it rhyme. then if it rhymes is the the right # of syllables to fit the rhythm/phrasing that i'm trying to use?

anyway, it's a waste of time to even have this topic here becasue people's minds are so closed to it. i challenge any of you to step on the stage and have a rap battle with me in front of a real hip hop crowd. it's not easy to be a REAL rapper and that is what i am.

as far as the difference between hip hop and rap, there is plenty of info out there about it. i don't think a guitar forum is the place to learn about hip hop or rap. there are books, documentaries, web sites and so on that expound on this topic in great detail. those who want to learn about it can seek and find the information if they are TRULLY interested.

Originally posted by Geenard:

My question is, how did Hip Hop equate to being a guitar related subject matter? :):):)

:thu: THANK YOU!
Go back a few posts for the answer to this ...

To all guitar guys: I'm Sorry! :cry:

My thread has been hijacked and it's spinning out of control. If any of you want to continue the subject, please leave my thread alone and start your own. My question has been more than adequately answered.

Also, just as a FYI regarding the term "Hip-Hop" as being a culture, not a genre of music:

All Music Guide, search for style "Hip-Hop:

In the terminology of rap music, Hip-Hop usually refers to the culture graffiti-spraying, breakdancing, and turntablism in addition to rapping itself surrounding the music. As a style however, hip-hop refers to music created with those values in mind.
END OF THREAD
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• 2 months later...

Beatnik,

OK, not all hip-hop and rap are bad
I'm glad to see that you took the time to read (all of) this. I had to grudgingly come to the same conclusion.

BTW, the song I referred to in the other thread is "Extreme Days" by tobyMac. I have it on the CD "Contemporary Christian" fye SELECTS Volume 1.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Every time my fourteen year old son gets in the car he changes the radio to his station.

It plays Hip-Hop, Rap and Rap/Hip-Hop. Is it just me or is this stuff just crap! :confused:

Dave

Marketeering manipulation takes full advantage of peer pressure amoungst youth. The real unfortunate aspect is, kids will defend their "choice" of "music", even when they reach adulthood.

"Me manipulated? No way man. Just ask my friends if I've been manipulated into buying rap music. We buy it because we like it."

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Archived