Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hip-Hop, ARRRRRRGH

Dave da Dude

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

NO PLEASE STOP WE HAVE HEARD ENOUGH![/QB]

not to mention that nobody here REALLY wants to learn about hip hop. it's been around for decades now and if someone doesn't know aobut it, it's because they don't want to. the info if out there to be had if one takes the time to look.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

NO PLEASE STOP WE HAVE HEARD ENOUGH![/QB]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exactopposite,

not to mention that nobody here REALLY wants to learn about hip hop. it's been around for decades now and if someone doesn't know aobut it, it's because they don't want to. the info if out there to be had if one takes the time to look.

I asked about it because I wanted to learn about it. :cool: I did not even realize that it was a culture and not a music genre. Can you expand on this? I don't quite understand what you mean. Maybe we should take this offline since others seem to be getting tired of it.

Anyone else want to hear or contribute more to this thread?

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Dave th Dude sez:

I asked about it because I wanted to learn about it. :cool: I did not even realize that it was a culture and not a music genre. Can you expand on this? I don't quite understand what you mean. Maybe we should take this offline since others seem to be getting tired of it.

Dave

I can't contribute too much right now. I'll just say that in the part of town I live in, the hop hop culture's all around me. I feel as if I'm the only metal d00d in my parts. I'm fine with that. As long as we respect each other, then it's cool. :)

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

I did not even realize that it was a culture and not a music genre. Can you expand on this? I don't quite understand what you mean. Maybe we should take this offline since others seem to be getting tired of it.

Dave

It always strikes me as stupid that people should get tired of a subject on a forum. The easiest thing is to not read it any more. Let those that are interested "talk".

I think it's an interesting topic. I think it's funny Metalists putting down Hip Hoppers. To me they're cut from the same cloth. It's like the Hatfields and the McCoys. There ain't no "better than" - "worse than".

All the best,

Henry Robinett

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------

Dave

MALMSTEEN SUCKS!! :D:D:D
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

Originally posted by magicman:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------

Dave

MALMSTEEN SUCKS!! :D:D:D
:evil: Ok to the IRON MAIDEN with you..you..heathen!
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Sorry, that seems to pop up is a lot of threads and when Dave asked for any more contributions I couldn't help myself.

For the record, I was only kidding! :D

"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

Would hip hop culture be the same as street culture? Gang stuff?

Yes and no. Hip hop started as "young" African American street culture. That includes all the nasty stuff like gang activity and violence (just as "rural" culture includes meth labs, incest, and trailer parks) as well as more positive things.

Since then it's expanded to become the predominent youth culture in N. America. Most white kids from the suburbs dress and speak hip-hop and they listen to rap music.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by magicman:

Sorry, that seems to pop up is a lot of threads and when Dave asked for any more contributions I couldn't help myself.

For the record, I was only kidding! :D

I figured as much. It seems to be a running joke. Its never going to get old either...i think. :D
Shut up and play.

I agree there is good RAP out there... too bad that the bad overshadows it. Just like POP music.

Predominant culture????

You meant fad.

So a lot of young guys dressing like pimps without ever actually buying a RAP record... that is just a current fad.. and a bad one.

Sort of like yuppies getting mohawks and not knowing what a SEX PISTOL is. Or how heavy metal opened up a way for mullets...Yikes!!!!

This too shall pass. It is no longer "rebelly" enough.

Heck, there's rap in Nickelodeon!!!! Ha, how "street" is that! It's the "beggining of the end" for Crap(POP) RAP. Hopefully it will go down and take the fad / bad attitude with it.

A lot "where are they now" episodes...

Hopefully "good rap" will stay as another good music genre (out of the MASS marketing machine) and we will all be able to borrow from and enjoy it.

Thruth is, I think we can even "smell change in the air".

Andre

Outkast

Roots

BEP's

(forgive my rap ignorance) are starting to get a "good" type of attention, for the musicality, originality, adventorousness and message; not for their (insert thug anecdote here).

I want to love RAP music, I just want for the real RAP to "please stand up, please stand up".

Peace and love you all!!!!!

I still don't understand what Hip-Hop is. Is it a culture, a music style, both or something else?

BTW, this was mentioned WAY back in the beginnning of this thread, but I forgot to mention my opinion on it. The video of RUN DMC's cover of "Walk This Way" is one of my favorite videos. I'm not hopelessly un-cool :rolleyes: (well...maybe :D ), just uninformed. :bor: I've been sleeping for the last twenty years.

Dave

I think if you read too much about something in the music press you`re likely to be led astray. I get the distinct impression from what I`ve read that hip-hop IS a musical genre, that it succeeded rap. I`m sure I would know better if I followed it more closely.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I am not happy w/ the current state of music on the radio. People who deserve airplay are not getting it b/c people try to be "hardcore." They think they're so cool b/c they get to listen to someone talk about f*cking their bitch. Rap is repetitive trash. The lyrics have no meaning to them and rap artists (if you can call them that) stand for nothing.

I have heard some of the music that people on these forums have made. You are the people who deserve the airplay. Your music takes talent to make. Anyone can talk about a ho.

Mark, you make a good point, but your point only speaks of what's on mainstream radio. There's an excellent rap show on WSOU that does freestyle rap. It comes around at about 10 PM ET U.S. on Sunday nights. You can hear the station online via RealPlayer.

It's a nice, funky slice of rap you'll never hear on regular commercial radio. Sometimes social, perhaps subversive at points, but a lot of fun to listen to.

I'm no rap expert, but that show is a lot of fun to listen to. I just pay attention to the beats and other noise that comes out of the speakers. :cool:

(EDIT)Oops, the show's gone!! It was called check your head or other... :( Oh well, the DJ's for that show must've graduated recently, I guess. Haven't listened to WSOU on Sundays lately. Oh well, maybe there's something on WSIA .(END EDIT)

i am not into anything where the image is more important than the music. that is a big problem with popular music today. don't give me a hard time because it is every genre that is being dumbed down.

artists that DO care know who they are and are probably pissed as we are for copy cat crap. there is good in all types of music but unfortunatly we are force fed the bad stuff. my initial comments on rap were aimed at the posing, mindless, gansta, pimp copy cat crap that is is followed by so many kids. we live in an age where image is rewarded and substance isn't as important. this isn't just rap, its country, rock, metal etc.

i blame the media, the lables and the corporate mindset..........on a happy note , i can come here and hear people talk about real artists.

i liked music before i had to watch it .

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Mark, you make a good point, but your point only speaks of what's on mainstream radio. There's an excellent rap show on WSOU that does freestyle rap. It comes around at about 10 PM ET U.S. on Sunday nights. You can hear the station online via RealPlayer.

It's a nice, funky slice of rap you'll never hear on regular commercial radio. Sometimes social, perhaps subversive at points, but a lot of fun to listen to.

I'm no rap expert, but that show is a lot of fun to listen to. I just pay attention to the beats and other noise that comes out of the speakers. :cool:

(EDIT)Oops, the show's gone!! It was called check your head or other... :( Oh well, the DJ's for that show must've graduated recently, I guess. Haven't listened to WSOU on Sundays lately. Oh well, maybe there's something on WSIA .(END EDIT)

If there was rap I heard that I thought was good I would listen to it. It's just that I haven't that experience yet. The show with the freestyleing sounds intriging. Too bad it's canceled.

ya know i notice a lot of people always sayin dont bash genre. well why not i go to a school where genres get bashed all the time. personally i see no point to rap or hip hop. yeah it has rythm but so does Metallica, and there rythm is a lot harder to come by. and no i dont care if i offend anyone, yeah its my 16 year old attitude, but my opinion will be the same 30 years from now. rap and hip hop had meaning at first but now its junk there is no meaningful message, let alone many times legal message being sent through to the listener. and like revolead its not racism or anything because i love blues. so please for the love of god if you like it fine but dont make me hear it cuz i would never let my kids listen to it. go rock n' roll
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

I am a kid and I choose to listen to blues, rock and metal... but then again.. I am a guitarist... besides hip-hop we have all this homosexual and metrosexual stuff starting to go on... what's wrong with this world? Anyways, I haven't listened to the radio for about 1-2 years, unless it's one or two of the local stations that actually play good music, but the really popular stations I haven't listened to for a while. So.. mainly I get music from mp3dimension.com and mp3.de (German music, I have a high level of respect towards my German ancestry, love for it, actually.)

Originally posted by AmmielLoDebar:

... besides hip-hop we have all this homosexual and metrosexual stuff starting to go on... what's wrong with this world?

'Metrosexual', can somebody tell me what that is? I thought I new all the 'sexuals'. ;)

The shit that plays on radio these days just isnt music. Its absolute shite.

But meh.

there's an interesting rock-hop movement going on here in adelaide. A few bands manage to spice up good old aussie hip hop (real hiphop - not that crap they play on radio) with guitars. A lot of it comes out really heavy - like the testeagles, or Rage against the machine only more beat orientated and more aussie accents.

You'll never laugh so hard as when you hear Aussie hip hop - theres something about a steve irwin type accent (yeah - they put on big aussie accents for this stuff) saying "yo yo mutha f**ker, I'm drinkin beerz with my crew, yo!" or something similar. Total insanity.

But it's damn good for a laugh. And this rock-hop isn't too bad. Keep your eyes open for anything by the testeagles or snap-to-zero. Though I doubt you will - not many artists actually make it out of aus.

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Whoa!!!

"Snap-to-Zero"... now that's a freaking original name for a band!!!

Where on earth would they find that????

Back to the point...

See what Nolly is saying?!?

I know RAP will be a cool genre once the Blax-ploitation ends, or there are not as many millions to be made in it. The next "Big Thing" (as far as million making machine) is probably around the corner. What we'll see is the quality rappers, the ones making it for the love of the art, will be the only ones making it, while the others... in the VH1 documentaries...

Can't wait for the future...

Did I make any sense???

i saw a south park episode on metrosexuals, but my cousin from jersey said its big out there, its straight guys that take care of themselves like moisturizing and shit, but im all man and will always be all man and in no way ever compromise my heterosexuality like that. but its true a lot of stupid crap is happening in our world.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

If you think that rap is crap, show us all how "untalented" those rappers are by recording a rap cut. If you're so much better than the hip hoppers, it should be a piece of cake, right?

If you think that the music on the radio is "shite," point us to an MP3 of YOUR music that sounds better.

Mark Twian once said, "When I was eighteen, my father was an idiot. When I tuned twenty-one, I was amazed at how much he'd learned in three years."

Perhaps some of us need another "three years."

By the way, I don't care for gratuitously vulger rap. Thankfully, there's plenty of other stuff to choose from.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan South,

Mark Twian once said, "When I was eighteen, my father was an idiot. When I tuned twenty-one, I was amazed at how much he'd learned in three years."

Dan, my absolute favorite quotation! Thanks for validating my choice.

On this thread, and somewhat to your comments, I started this thread thinking that all rap and hip-hop was crap, and was just trying to understand how my son could like this crap over my great choice of "Classic Rock" on the "dial".

Now I see the question is much more complex than that and am anxious to learn all that I can. Unfortunately, it seems that the a-holes are the ones who get the publicity. I know, what else is new? It sounds like there are some ligitamate artists out there in both rap and hip-hop (if that is indeed a genre of music and not of culture). As soon as I get the sound card working in my computer again (maybe today), I'll have to try out some of the recommendations suggested here.

Okay everyone, keep the opinions coming. I ".. need more input .." (to give fair credit, quote by Number Five and Johnny Five :D ).

Dave

Dave, I'm glad to see that you're expanding your musical horizons. Sure, there's plenty of "crap" in any genre, but there are some gems in there, too.

I'm a fan of -

- Naughty by Nature

- Young MC

- Public Enemy

- MC Solaar (raps in French)

and I'm starting to get into Tupac. Yes, I know, this stuff is rather "old skool," but sometimes those who did it first are those who did it best.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, :wave:

I'm glad to broaden my horizons, so to speak. I didn't start this thread with that intention, but it alway pays to be flexible.

I'll be taking a "listen" to those groups that you listed when I get the ^*^*&%$# sound working on my computer. :mad: I thought I fixed it this morning. Nope. I'll have to consult with my computer geek.

Dave

Archived