Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Experimenting strange weather lately?

K K

I know it's not that unusual since a few years because of the global warming, but this winter in this part of the world we broke several records for highest temperatures ever in December and had our first Christmas without snow since decades. This week though, we're back to normal : a lovely maximum of -20 in the day (without the winds) and lots of snow.

My view on this is Canada/USA will warm up with the years, with increase of precipitations especially in the southern USA, and Europe will gradually become colder (since the Gulf Stream is already derivating by the melting of Arctic ices).

But without going into the complexity of why... I also see many unusual weather reports for other parts in the USA.

Anything you found particularly unusual this winter? Temperature or snow/rain records? :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over in Southern Cal, it is COLD COLD. Freezing on the beach. And Dry. Usually you barely get out from heavy rains this time of year.

Of course last year we had the most rain in a very long time and a lot of house damage relating to it. So I don't mind the break.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Here in Nashville we've had a relatively mild winter. No ice storms, no snow, and some 60 degree days. We're not out of the woods yet, though. Today it's suitably cold and overcast. It'll snow before February's done.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I notice that our current record temperature days seem to match those of a hundred years ago. And last year, the high temps matched those of 101 years ago. For the last decade or so, however long global warming has been a political issue, the high and low temperatures have matched those of a century ago. Maybe it's just cyclical.

But hey, I'm just a musician. :)

k.

there is no question we are experiencing weather extremes

like Jazz mentioned, most of California has been sub freezing at night for over 5 days. Our billion dollar citrus crop, artichokes, etc is close to being lost. This is very unusual

A very cold winter was predicted here to be followed by a very hot summer

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Around here, the weather is fluctuating between spring and winter almost on a daily basis.

One day it is unseasonably warm, the next, temp drops by 30 degrees or so.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but the answer lies somewhere between global warming and meteorological manipulation. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've lived in Holland for almost 12 years and this is the warmest winter I remember.

I even received a refund from over paying my gas (heating) bill for 2006. I received a refund of over 450 Euros. (I pay a fixed monthly amount for gas and either pay more or receive an adjustment at the end of a year.)

My fear is the summer of 2007 here in Europe will be very hot.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

As a native Californian, I suspect that I have a different definition of "cold" than some of you. But of course, our infrastructure here is not built for cold. There's no "coat check" anywhere, buildings and homes often don't have heated entryways, most of us don't own much cold weather clothing unless we travel a lot, etc.

Having said that -- it's been really cold here. Highs in the upper 40s and low 50s, lows down below freezing. If that doesn't sound bad to you, imagine if you owned two sweaters and one heavy coat. All of which were old and out of fashion. And your house was poorly insulated and heated.

OK, so I guess it's not all that bad. But it's way colder than I'm used to, and I'm sick of it already. ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Unusually cold here in Vegas. Down in the teens at night and in the 30's during the day. The water in the pool is so cold that the filter's been kicked on 24/7. The water feels weird, too. I've got a salt water pool and at night it feels like a thin jello. Kind of strange. I can see that some of my neighbors have had pipes break this week. So far I've been lucky.

The weather has been unusually warm, but it's not due to global warming. That kind of change is minute -- not discernable from year to year, but over many, many years.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

The weather has been unusually warm, but it's not due to global warming. That kind of change is minute -- not discernable from year to year, but over many, many years.

Thank you. It seems that it's a very complex story which includes global warming, climate change, El Nino, changes in the sun, etc., etc. I recoil when I hear global warming as the knee-jerk answer to everything.

It's been freezing here in Seattle with lots of snow. Very unusual.

Busch.

In southern Europe, we're having the warmest winter in recent history, althoguh we're told that it will become colder in the next days/weeks. No raincoat necessary in Rome. Pleasant, but if this is the premise for switching to a desert-type climate, I'm worried.

here in Athens too, guys... We're in a warm area anyway, but even... winter used to be snow, rains, cold as usual. The 3-4 winters we had some heavy snowfalls, but this year is an eternal sunshine, t-shirts and so on... i worry we gonna burn the coming summer
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I saw Al Gore's documentary and wished he would have spent more time on the feedback loop. Things will change gradually until we reach a certain threshold and then, just like audio feedback, the climate will escalate and it probably won't be pretty.

Ed is a anchor (or news reader) for business - his views could have been predicted. :wave:

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

All the people who still doubt global warming should watch Al Gore's documentary. I had my doubts before watching the movie, I also thought that it could all be exageration from some radical enviromental scientists. I also thought this could all be just another cyclical era of Earth. But after watching evidence after evidence after evidece... it was all very clear. If you don't like Al Gore at all and don't want to see his face, then you can watch another documentary I think form NatGeo or Discovery which is called "Too hot not to handle". The evidence to me is SO clear now. There IS indeed global warming, we are just starting, but it will get ugly if nothing is done for the next 3 decades.

Regarding the original question, climate is changing gradualy in here (Pacific coast of South America, Perú, Lima). The winter is getting pushed back and so is the summer but in less days. Ten years ago hot weather would start in the final week of november and cold weather would start about mid May. Now we don't experience hot wheather until mid december and cold wheater until the end of June. It may not be a significant change, but I can tell that this has been going on for many years now, It is not an isolated year, it's a trend now.

Yeah, well, it's absolutely brutal here in Colorado. We're halfway through January and only 10" away from our average snowfall for the year! It has also been ungodly cold lately. I'm hoping that we'll be above freezing for at least a little while today. The temperature been in the single digits and negative degrees (Fahrenheit) for about a week now. I would suggest you enjoy the unusual warmth if you have it. I would.

Like Trill said, Ohio has been warm until just really the last couple days. I was running outside in shorts and a t-shirt pretty much all through December into early January. Flys and bees and other spring insects were coming out as well as some flowers. Crazy.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Ed is a anchor (or news reader) for business - his views could have been predicted. :wave:

Hi Dave. Where did you learn to predict people's views -- what a talent! :-)

Actually, I don't dispute global warming. And hey -- if you want to know what I actually do (much more than read) or what my personal views are, feel free to IM me.... :-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

In Arizona, we are a bit colder than average. About 7-10 degrees colder than normal. It seems over the past few years that it remains hotter for longer in the year. Other than that not too much of a difference overall.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Canadian cow flatulence :rolleyes:

http://www.lot49.com/images/lot49/cowsign.jpg

Yup. That's your problem, right there. ;)

The good news is they've just developed a methane/oxygen rocket engine, so pretty soon, all those globally warming cows will have gone to the moon, where they could use more atmosphere. On the other hand, steak will be $1000 per pound cos it will have to be shipped in from the moon. Maybe they can design a nice re-entry container so it arrives on your doorstep (or at least your roof) nicely cooked to order.

To drift a little back on topic, its snowing here, and we have had snow on the ground for a week, which is a little unusual but not exceptionaly so.

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Hi Dave. Where did you learn to predict people's views -- what a talent! :-)

Actually, I don't dispute global warming. And hey -- if you want to know what I actually do (much more than read) or what my personal views are, feel free to IM me.... :-)

Ed, I made my comments because you stated ... The weather has been unusually warm, but it's not due to global warming. That kind of change is minute -- not discernable from year to year, but over many, many years.

My comment re news reader was not meant as a slight. The BBC calls their ... news readers, news readers. For me the word anchor is a bit pretentious and overstated.

I am not capable of predicting people's views but from reading many of your posts I assumed you are probably somewhat right of center.

Archived