Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FC7 expression pedal adapter review

Trill

I recently purchased an adapter for my Yamaha FC7 expression /volume pedal . I didn't want to cut and resolder (reverse polarity)it to use for my Nord El.73/2 . I wanted to use it for both my Yamaha and Nord. I purchased an adapter from Ashby Solutions for a total of $19.00 .

It works great and allows the pedal to be used as a volume or wah wah pedal on the Nord.

You can control both effects on the Organ ,and the Wah Wah on the electric pianos.

The adapter is very well constructed and has a 90 degree 1/4 input plug which is nice. http://music.ashbysolutions.com/FC7X-II.jpg

I also noticed some things like half moon switchs and midi event processor controls which they produce. This may be of some interest to some guys here

Clonk here

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice! Do you know if they make a similar adaptor for using the Yamaha FC7 with Roland products? The Roland EV5 pedal look like, feels like and IS a cheap plastic toy compared to the Yamaha FC7. Adding insult to injury - the EV5 is priced $20 bucks higher. I've yet to see Roland's EV7 pedal in person - but cringe at the $180 price tag. An adaptor like this would be a welcome option! Does Ashby have a web site?

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Sorry about the dumb question regarding Ashby's web site. The link Trill included in his post answered all my questions.

I gotta quit getting up early on post gig Saturday mornings! It seems the rest of my system boots up before my brain!

Originally posted by Trill:

I also noticed some things like half moon switchs and midi event processor controls which they produce. This may be of some interest to some guys here

Clonk here

I bought one of their half moon switches for my XK3. The only difference between it and the ones produced by HS is that Leslie logo is missing and it is about $30+ cheaper.

If you specify the keyboard it is for they will cut the cable to fit precisely so that there is no excess cord. The half moon switch came with screws for permanent installation and with a velcro installation kit.

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

Originally posted by ewall08530:

opps thats was 3 years of constant gigging!

Are you sure you didn't actually write "three years of constant grogging"? :D

I picked up one of those adapters for use with my VK8 and an FC7. I much prefer this to an EV5. My EV5 broke after several years of use. The unit is really well made - wish I could get mic cables that were this well done.

If you want an even cheaper solution, you can go to your local store and a couple of adapters, and just make sure you cross the tip & ring part of the cable. Shouldn't cost more than $10. What I did was get the following:

--1/4" male stereo to (2) RCA female adapter

--1/4" female stereo to (2) RCA male adapter

Here's a picture:

http://members.cox.net/superboyac/pics/fc7a.jpg

i made my own adapter. it ended up costing about 12 bucks and an hour of work.

i would recommend buying one ready-made. it looks a lot nicer too and is most likely better made and longer lasting.

i also own EV5 pedal. It's ok, and I use it for my jam session when i take electro rack + pedal in a rucksack. much lighter weight than my Yamaha pedal.

however it is not so smooth to use, and the travel is about 50% of the Yamaha, plus the expression values transmitted are a bit "scratchy" the volume tends to jump around a bit randomly as you work the pedal.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I don't like my EV5 pedal. +1 to konaboy's observations, e.g. it sucks. Too light weight...I've knocked it over a few times when playing a gig.

I like my Yamaha pedals a lot more. I think I'm game for the above adapter. I'll give it a try with my Fc7 pedal and ION. If it works, I'll buy another Yamaha pedal and "retire" the EV5.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I would have bought that converter (and still might), but came up with this low cost solution:

4 ft of cat 5 cable with female plug on one end, male on the other.

It lasted almost two years before it went south last summer. 5 mins with the soldering gun and we're back in business....

I had a pop at making my own cable but I couldn't quite see inside the barrel connector to see which connector was the tip and which was the ring. I thought I had it sussed and so I went ahead and soldered the thing (first soldering i'd done in about 13 years) and guess what, I got the wrong bl**dy connectors so i've got a useless half foot long piece of wire. Been meaning to do another one but seemed to have left it for the last 6 months.

Suffice to say when it comes to procuring new cables I reach for my wallet instead of the soldering gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the FC-7 expression pedal from Yamaha work with the XK-1 out-of-the-box or would I need the polarity adapter from Ashby to make it work? (The V20R is going for over a c-note.)

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Based on my quick read of the manual, the FC-7 should work without an adaptor, however you'll need to set the Expression Source parameter to Ped1 (Rev). This, according to the manual, allows the use of the Korg XVP-10, which (I believe) is the same or very similar to the Yamaha FC7.

I'm sure someone else can verify/refute the Korg/Yamaha similarities, but that's my guess.

Originally posted by Superboy:

If you want an even cheaper solution, you can go to your local store and a couple of adapters, and just make sure you cross the tip & ring part of the cable. Shouldn't cost more than $10. What I did was get the following:

That's freakin smart Superboy. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I love the Yammy pedals. The pots stay clean much longer than anything else I've used. In fact, neither of my FC7s have had any dirt in the pots. They work great for the filter on my Voyager and the controller (volume / wah) on my Electro.

OTOH, the Roland pedals get dirty very quickly. I have 3 just sitting.

I love the Yammy pedals. The pots stay clean much longer than anything else I've used. In fact, neither of my FC7s have had any dirt in the pots. They work great for the filter on my Voyager and the controller (volume / wah) on my Electro.

OTOH, the Roland pedals get dirty very quickly. I have 3 just sitting.

Thanks guys, I have an FC-7 on the way. :)

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Based on my quick read of the manual...

Hmm, a "quick read" of that manual? I gotta say, it's as though they translated all the words into English but forgot to translate about half of the phrases. :freak:

Originally posted by Superboy:

Hello, I am a long time lurker who has been inspired to register by this post. I also have an Yamaha pedal I would like to use with my Electo but have a stupid question - What does "cross the tip and ring part of the cable" mean? Any help would be appreciated.

SGL, the standard two-connector 1/4" plug musicians are all familiar with is sometimes referred to as a TS (tip/sleeve) plug. If you think the type of three-connector 1/4" plug used (among other things) on good stereo headphones, that's a TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug where the ring is approx. the same length as the tip and the sleeve is the far longer connector.

What Superboy is saying is to create a type of crossover cable. IOW, wire two TRS connectors, but wire the tip connector on one plug to the ring connector on the other plug, etc. Obviously the sleeve is still wired to the sleeve for both plugs. Caveat, I'm not responsible if you mis-wire your cord and something bad happens to your equipment. Be careful. ;)

John

Archived