Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavia Is Up To Something.........

b3keys

The point is it looks like there is definitely going to be a dual manual Nord something, based on the picture in keyboard magazine. I bet it won't look that different from these photoshop monsters either.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember how much a double manual clone from Korg or Roland costs. Even the Voce double manual is over 4k. Don't be surprised if a double manual Nord is in the same price range with the other double manual offerings.

It'd be pretty sweet though, if it was something in the 30-40# range and was under 3k.

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

DanL,

What I'm hoping for is something simple. Really two Electro 61s tied together. Not the high-end direction like the Stage. Two engines, not six. A 61 note Electro is 17 lbs. A dual manual should be in the low 30 lbs range which is still light and very managable. With two engines you could have any combination of sounds on top and bottom. Price-wise I can see it at maybe $2500, which is approximately the price of two NE61s. I think it's a loser if Clavia puts out a high-end B3 look/feel clone. There are plenty of products in that price range and I don't think they sell well at all. But if it's light and compact it could even fit on the second tier. I think there's a real market for a dual manual if they keep it Electro simple, compact and Electro value priced.

Busch.

Busch, that's EXACTLY what I'm hoping for. My guess is it will include the organ section from the Stage and not much more. I would certainly like all the effects from the Electro/Stage to be in there, but they're not really necessary. A dual manual dedicated clone at that price (maximum) would be very hard to beat. Otherwise, the Doepfer looks like the solution I'll be thinking about for controlling either my Electro Rack or EVB3.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

kanker and busch, I mostly agree. But I would really hate to see them overlook the opportunity to add the Electro2 pianos on at least the lower manual (even at 61 keys). If that were the case it could easily be the only keyboard lots of people would need. I can tell you that would deciding factor whether or not *I* will buy one...
GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

come to think of it, if all it's going to be is a b3 clone - than there's no point in it besides the looks. among the clones - clavia sounds almost the best. the hammond xk-3 sounds the best to me. and as far as the double manual goes - i just plug a controller via midi and i get a double manual. there's no justification for a clavia double manual - unless they've improved the b3 sound.
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

The justification is that some folks really like the way real double manuals are spaced, which is pretty much impossible to get to with any stand out there, and then there's the issue of the second manual's action.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by kanker.:

... some folks really like the way real double manuals are spaced, which is pretty much impossible to get to with any stand out there...

+2! ;):thu:

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Looking at the specs on the XK Pro System, it comes in at a little under 75 lbs without the stand. It has the extra bulk in both length and depth that isn't really necessary if you use Clavia's approach. The XK Pro System with stand goes for ~$4,300. The potential here is for the new Nord to weigh less than half as much, maybe 70% of the bulk and 60% the price, and to include the xtra sounds as a real bonus. Sure the Electro layout is a bit of a compromise for the B3 purist, but it is functional.

Busch.

Busch if they came out with a double manual Electro for 2500, it'd be mighty mighty tempting!

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

i have a question for you all. i used to have a nord electro2, and now i'm thinking about buying the nord stage compact. only problem is - i'm not gigging anymore. i only play at home. my question is - for the nord stage price - isn't it wiser to get a good soundcard and a good midi controller - and play at home? i mean, for example: the stage's acoustic piano sounds are good - but they are nothing compared to 12 gigabytes piano samples i've heard. there are excellent rhodes, clavinet and hammond samples and soft synths. so, if i'm not going to use it for live shows, and just play at home - isn't it wiser to get a contriller and some sample banks? and why did clavia put only a 128mb flash memory? today we can get up to 8gigabytes of flash. are they being cheap?
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

zanush

IMO, it's better not to buy the Stage. Keep the Electro or trade it for a good controller. Nord Stage is good, but it's far too expensive to use it only at home and it's dedicated to gigging musicians with specific needs. If i were you i'd go soft

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I would love a two keybed setup like that, but c'mon, why just organ? Lemme rock a synth lead on the top and a sweet string on the bottom, how hip would that be? I guess organs are neat too. :P

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Archived