Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavia Is Up To Something.........

b3keys

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B3KEYS

I never play 'communista' keyboards here in the states, it's un-american! Double manual or NO!

I just lost a gig to Bruce Katz! I'm looking for a blue keyboard now!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

It's probably something like the XK System from Hammond. A second manual that the Electro (or a new board) drops into. If Bruce Katz is in the ad (I haven't seen the ad, so I'm just going on what I read here), then it has something to do with B3 emulation.

I start to worry for Clavia when I see this. I fear that Clavia is overextending it's product line into niche markets in ways that can damage it's profitability.

Maybe there is a big market for double manual keys and I am all wet.

Jerry

B3er/Matt,

Oh it's definately a new Cloan or Cloan system with Bruce Katz demonstrating/playing at Namm. He's such a Hammond player. Just look at the wood cut on the teaser ad also. It's an organ product.

Bruce is working for a vocalist that I used to work with, Alexis Suter as her main keyboardist. He works with alot of people. Actually Alexis was in the Kerry Kearney band and we shared records companies with her (HipBone Records, NYC). She can be heard one of my Esnip cuts on the tune 'Little Playmate'. Her band and Bruce play all of Levon Helm's Midnight Rambles up at his home studio in Woodstock NY. He's a great great player and Berklee trained. Perfect for Nord to introduce the new Cloan! His CD Mississippi Moan is very hot with a bigger band and horns!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

My 2 cents (from pure speculation, a kind of "fantasy").

Option 1

A dedicated dual manual organ clone with an improved engine and sound, bigger buttons, real motorized drawbars (!)

Option 2

A Nord Stage in a dual manual format, with aftertouch on upper manual...you could have: dual manual organ, piano + organ, piano + sinth, organ + sinth, sinth + sinth, organo + clavi...a boatload of combination at fingertips...except for weighted keys it would be a complete rig by itself.

As much as my rig is great already these teaser makes me "drool" ;-)

Mooghead,

Option 2 would be very cool, just the weighted key thing for piano sounds as you said........

lb

• 2 weeks later...

Piano organ combo? That would be AWESOME, as long as the piano sounded great. If not, it might be horrible. And a bad choice on a solo piano gig. Hmmm. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? It's not a dedicated dual manual clonewheel because it's got 76 keys on the bottom and only one set of drawbars. And pitchbend.

This will either be incredibly useful or incredibly limiting.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

That photo looks a little like something that somebody pasted together on PhotoShop but if it's for real it would probably be great except that with a Stage 73 going for $3K this would probably come in at close to $4K. No thanks. Cool idea though.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

The link to the photo I posted has got to be a photoshop deal. I think it is interesting looking, but probably not a very marketable item. I think a new dual manual clone with drawbars in the 30-40 lb range could be quite marketable.

Do you think a dual manual clone would have real drawbars or the Nord simulation deal? I know I'd rather have real ones.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Originally posted by eric:

The link to the photo I posted has got to be a photoshop deal. I think it is interesting looking, but probably not a very marketable item. I think a new dual manual clone with drawbars in the 30-40 lb range could be quite marketable.

http://rhee.net/LDLD/clavia_nonsense.jpg

"For instance" is not proof.

My high-school German is so rusty that its practically non-existent. As I said in another post, its one thing to translate words, its another to translate thoughts and phrases which requires fluency I don't have. But failing a more native translation, here goes (my comments in parenthesis):

--

From: http://www.analogorgel.de/orgel/viewtopic.php?t=1945&sid=d2a9c67ee65d58489ecec5ad7f5c5007

The newsgroup has the following photo:

http://www.fontes-ecclesiae.de/forum/clavia_organ1.jpg

(Something to the effect of) If you can believe or not (isn't to be believed?) Yamaha's D-Deck (no idea what a D-Deck is?) then Clavia comes with a double decker offer (on offer? for offer? a formal-ish euphemism for "for sale"? I'm not quite sure...)

Possible discussion in the newsgroup (that part was easy), it acts (is? is supposed to be?) a 2x61er system (obviously talking about 61 key dual manuals).

Anyhow, interpret (compare to?) this photo from the Clavia homepage:

http://www.clavia.se/home/images/main.jpg

--

The next guy says literally:

The photo from the newsgroup is a fake (easier still!)

You should look for the distances between the official photo and (not sure about the abbreviations?) to the edge.

--

The first guys replies:

Don't call it "fake", separate it (see it as?) for a "study" (probably means to study it for clues?).

--

Basically the same reaction as here, someone Photoshopped some pictures together as a proof of concept, but didn't account for the space between the highest "C" key on a 61 key great manual and the top "F" key on a 73 key swell manual as it relates to the wooden end block. It doesn't line up to the Clavia photo, which looks like both manuals end on a "C".

Still, this would be on the right path as far as I'm concerned. Really I'm thinking even a 61 key lower manual might work for the pianos, etc. especially if you could octave shift the piano sounds down one octave for left hand work. If there are real drawbars. :)

Still, I'm trying to figure out how these two guys got through three posts without someone saying "Es ist Rot!" (It's red!). :D

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

b3_john, you're right, I think I basically understand German :-D and you translated it very well:

It is definitely a fake, but the last poster says, maybe because doesn't want his illusions to be destroyed (yeah, we all know that) that he considers it rather to be a "design study".

The picture is not officially by Clavia but came up somewhere in a "newsgroup".

The Dromb Bopper

to all of you who say it's a fake: well, of course it's a fake.

i wrote : "this is what it could look like", with an emphasis on the word "could".

so what about some of you play with photoshop a little bit and try to create your fantasy keyboard?

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Archived