Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Supported anyone Famous/Infamous ?

MaFunk

Any of you guys supported any big guns out there.. Be interesting to see who you have met along the way so to speak.

My .02c worth (Funk covers + originals band)

Average white Band

The Blackbirds

Sharon Jones + Dap Kings

Bad Manners .. :freak:

WHAT IS HIP?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list from the dino rock years:

Bob Segar

The Flock

Bachman Turner Overdrive (multiple times)

REO Speedwagon (multiple times)

Cactus

Blue Oyster Cult

Peter Frampton

Black Oak Arkansas

Sons of Champlin

Detroit

Foghat

Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels

later in my career:

Jerry Lee Lewis

Iron Butterfly

Grass Roots

Jerry Springer (yes THAT guy)

That's just people I have played with, not met and partied with... ;)

Moe

---

I've been fortunate to have performed with the following artists:

Wynton & Branford Marsalis

Dave Valentin

Paquito De Rivera

Beach Boys

Patti Austin

Mike & Randy Brecker

Nelson Rangell

Deborah Henson-Conant

Ann Hampton Callaway

Karen Akers

Sammy Cahn

Angela Bofill

Jennifer Holiday

Phoebe Snow

Red Rodney

Just curious... do you mean who have you played with, as in on the same stage at the same time, or do you mean who have you opened for (no, not like that Tom ;) ), as in on the same stage as a warmup act (the term "supported" means either one in my circles).

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

...or do you mean who have you opened for (no, not like that Tom ;) )

Don't pull me into this, Sven. You're on your own. :rolleyes::P
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

...or do you mean who have you opened for (no, not like that Tom ;) )

Don't pull me into this, Sven. You're on your own. :rolleyes::P
So much for you always saying you had my back when the chips were down, Tom.... :wave:

Not wanting to name drop here, but I have once opened for Kim Mitchell. That's right, you heard it right... :D:D:D:D:D

Uh... I did a show that Tom Green attended too...

I will hang up and listen...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by Phred:

Not wanting to name drop here, but I have once opened for Kim Mitchell. That's right, you heard it right... ..

Me too. But to me that IS saying alot because Kim is one of my all time favourites.

also opened for,

ZZ Top

Collective Soul

Colin James

Honeymoon Suite

Tragically Hip (they also opened for my band once in the 80's)

David Wilcox

The Guess Who

Trooper

DLR

:D:D It was - he changed it to Kim Mitchell when he stopped touring stadiums, and started touring rual fair grounds and puppet shows. ;)
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

The band's name was Max Webster of which Kim Mitchell was the front man. Max was a great band in the late 70's. Kim's been a solo artist for about 25 years and has played many a stadium, especially in the mid-late eighties.

My 80's original band opened for numerous bands of the era in SoCAL. I know there's more than listed here; I simply can't remember much from that decade.

Missing Persons

Devo

Sparks

Los Lobos

The Plimsouls

The Romantics

The Tubes

Red Hot Chile Peppers

Motels

The Bangles

Oingo Boingo

Berlin

Wall of Voodoo

The Alarm

Zurkan

I didn't mean to offend you... Kim is definately a guitar great and was a song writer extrodinare. However he has done a fair bit of touring on the 'B' or 'C' circuit - at least in and around the Ottawa valley. That was the joke I was trying to make. That and most people on this forum have never heard of the only famous person I have opened for.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Note: Max Webster put out some great stuff back in the day. My favourite being when they joined forces with Rush and did Battlescar.

Played guitar as a member of the Hope Rythym Players backing up Christian Artist:

Clay Crosse

Eddie Hedges (Blessed Union of Souls)

Also opened for ;

Micheal Tait (DC Talk)

Chat and have Emailed and have played practical jokes with keyboardist for the 2nd best Corporate band in the world (he got ripped , should have been numero uno) :cry:

Tom Henry (Is there Gas in the car?) :thu:

Where talkin the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame :P:thu:

Originally posted by dgrennan:

The band's name was Max Webster of which Kim Mitchell was the front man. Max was a great band in the late 70's. Kim's been a solo artist for about 25 years and has played many a stadium, especially in the mid-late eighties.

Ummmm... I guess the smileys weren't enough to make it clear that I was being completely facetious. :rolleyes:

Instead of dropping the hip, I'm going with the absurd. You'd have to be an old fart like me to understand how truly absurd this gig was. It's the mid/late '70's..... It was a series of "amusement park" gigs playing behind a bunch of singers booked as the Hollywood teens. The PA was something that would have been too big for Black Sabbath. The singers were Todd Bridges, Donny Most, Scott Baio and Jimmy McNichols. I still think back on playing "Gimmie Gimmie Some Lovin'" on 11 as sung by Ralph Malph.

Originally posted by BluMunk:

Originally posted by Phred:

Not wanting to name drop here, but I have once opened for Kim Mitchell. That's right, you heard it right... :D:D:D:D:D

And did you go for soda?
...might as well. ;)
Nah.... I'm more partial to Lager and Ale :D:D

As much as I'd love to continue the puns concerning the lyrical waxings of Mr. Pye Dubois, I fear we're inflicting too damage on this thread... ;)

So, back on topic, my list includes:

Van Halen

Foreigner

Queensryche

Kim Mitchell

April Wine

Trooper

Frozen Ghost

Alannah Myles

DC Talk (saw these guys mentioned earlier, so... :) )

As a sideman, I've worked with a lot of Canadian "rock" artists, including (but not limited to) Harem Scarem, Nash the Slash, Ken Tobias and Phil Naro (Talas).

Originally posted by Trill:

Chat and have Emailed and have played practical jokes with keyboardist for the 2nd best Corporate band in the world (he got ripped , should have been numero uno) :cry:

:o

And guess what, Trill? If you Google "Is There Gas In The Car?", you get that wonderful Photoshopped picture that you made with my head on someone else's body.

I thank you for that. :rolleyes:

Oh... and we like to think of ourselves as the best corporate band in the United States since the guys who won first place were flown in from Australia.

:D

Oh well, the T-shirt they gave me is nice.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Trill:

:o

And guess what, Trill? If you Google "Is There Gas In The Car?", you get that wonderful Photoshopped picture that you made with my head on someone else's body.

I thank you for that. :rolleyes:

You didn't really want your own body did you :confused:

If you Google "Is There Gas In The Car?", you get that wonderful Photoshopped picture that you made with my head on someone else's body.

And if you check, the picture is titled "Pop piano guy", but it remains obscure if "pop" applies to the piano (pop piano) or the guy (popular guy). It could also refer to a popping belly, who knows?

But you sure show a healthy belly. :cool:

I consider myself very fortunate to make my living playing music. :)

Among many others, I've been a hired sideman for:

Richie Havens, Popa Chubby, Vann Piano Man Walls (organ), Jimmy Thackery, Bill Perry, Buddy Miles, Hubert Sumlin, Rudy Ray Moore (aka Dolomite).

By happenstance, some others I've played with are Leslie West, Tinsley Elis, Shemekia and Johnny Copeland, The Holmes Brothers, Joan Osbourne, Lucky Peterson, John McEnroe, and Dr. John (he played guitar).

Some of the artists I can remember opening for are: Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, Bela Fleck, Bill Wyman, John Paul Jones, Joe Cocker, The Skatalites, Lee Scratch Perry, Bonnie Raitt, Robin Trower, NRBQ, Marcus Miller, Jeff Beck, BB King, Robert Cray, Albert Lee, Brian Auger, Rhoda Scott, Bill Keith.

Archived