Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holiday GAS (and reverse GAS)

MusicaL

So, what are you gassing for, bought or sold in anticipation of Christmas or the holidays????? I'll start!

I've been gassing for a VA for a while, and it was a tossup between the Access Virus and the NL3. At the very last minute, the NL3 won out!! I got it right before Thanksgiving!!! Nice, NICE!!!!

I'll probably be selling my An1x... Dunno yet, but I can't imagine it getting much use now!!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gassing for one of the new CME VX8 controllers for my studio, I think... not sure. Been waiting since they were announced last January at NAMM for them to actually ship (Sweetwater says they'll finally arrive the week of 12/10 here ). But I dunno... I hate the VX's color and it appears to have red-on-red knobs as well as a small red-on-red display. Does CME think it has enough RED on it? If it were in black like the UF's and if the display was bigger I'd be really freakin' for one. Just imagine: backlit red knobs on a black controller would look like the Batmobile or something. Black is so cool... what is it with all the red keyboards lately?

Anyway, I may just wait for NAMM to see if CME actually displays some of the goodies to go with the VX that they've said were coming, like a sound module with sampling function, an analog synthesizer module, and a digital mixing console module. It would be nice if the UF-DP1 Piano Module that's been announced for the UF series (which has yet to be heard) would also work with the VX's - I assume it will but nobody has said for sure yet.

The CME VX8 has great potential but all my vaporware caution alarms are ringing...

Oh, I forgot that I'm also gassing for a MacPro. But, I think I'm going to wait until the prices come down a bit... Maybe after the new year.

I'm also nursing a bout of gas for a stereo Speakeasy preamp!!

aL

My clothes washer gave out. It's a 4 year old top-of-the-line Sears front-loader. $610 to repair it. So I'm buying a new one instead. A cheaper top-loader. $400

On top of this, my gas furnace bit the dust - condemned. New furnace & AC, $8,000. :(

Christmas is coming. Cha-Ching

I've got a kid in college - who wants to study in Europe this summer. Cha-Ching Cha-Ching

I think I'll just have to eat a few more Beano tablets to take care of any GAS in my foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/damonedamoon/beano.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Music*aL:

Gas,

The cure for all your ills (and bills) is a new keyboard!! :D

No whining!!!

aL

Yeah. You're right, aL.

Screw it.

I think a red Electro would fit nicely in my Christmas stocking this year. :thu::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm in the process of a liquidation sale that will finance a hefty portion of my MotifES8 or S90ES purchase. ;)

Would be nice if I could get it done before the New Year. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ah nothing like a getting in the Red a little deeper. Sorry about all the trouble Gas, just think by this time next year you will be able to add another blinking light to your music room.

My gas I just fullfilled with a new laptop purchase. This will be for only for music and music related stuff. Now I need to upgrade my Cakewalk, add a notation program, and start loading and down loading new tunes. I guess when I find another pot of gold I will begin purchasing these items.

Damn one thing DOES lead to another. Momma was right again.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I was gassing for a low end set of Adam monitors or some VDrum pads for my basic electronic drum kit. The plan was to check things out while at NAMM and then decide. That is no longer a consideration. In a moment of weakness I was the victim of a major GAS pain. Today I took delivery of a new 17 MacBook Pro. My music budget had already been blown on a Triton Extreme so I went into debt for this, which I dont normally do. Until it is paid off I plan to avoid websites and music publications that invoke GAS. :P

Yea. Thats gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Wow Robert, what a coincidence. My 17" MacBook Pro should be here Thursday. And we even have the same name.... scary.

Did you opt for the 160 GB 5400 rpm drive? I went with the 100 GB 7200 rpm. I want to be able to load my huge Reason piano patches a little faster. Plus I have a 300 GB 7200 rpm for storage so I'll stick only what needs to be loaded quickly on the machine.

Bob

GIGO

Originally posted by The Pro:

I'm gassing for one of the new CME VX8 controllers for my studio, I think... not sure. Been waiting since they were announced last January at NAMM for them to actually ship (Sweetwater says they'll finally arrive the week of 12/10 here ). But I dunno... I hate the VX's color and it appears to have red-on-red knobs as well as a small red-on-red display. Does CME think it has enough RED on it? If it were in black like the UF's and if the display was bigger I'd be really freakin' for one. Just imagine: backlit red knobs on a black controller would look like the Batmobile or something. Black is so cool... what is it with all the red keyboards lately?

Anyway, I may just wait for NAMM to see if CME actually displays some of the goodies to go with the VX that they've said were coming, like a sound module with sampling function, an analog synthesizer module, and a digital mixing console module. It would be nice if the UF-DP1 Piano Module that's been announced for the UF series (which has yet to be heard) would also work with the VX's - I assume it will but nobody has said for sure yet.

The CME VX8 has great potential but all my vaporware caution alarms are ringing...

I would recommend buying CME products locally. I currently am trying out GPP-3 pedal. It's flakey at best. The dealer that I got it from had one of the original CME keyboards when they first came out. It had numerous issues as well. I would check it out throughly prior to purchase and work with it a lot during the first 30 days to make sure it's 100%.

Busch.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

(and reverse GAS)
What is reverse GAS? Sounds painful... :(
Reverse GAS? It can be painful!! It's when you (have to) part with gear you once gassed for...

Among the painful reverse GAS experiences I've had was parting with my Fender Rhodes 88 suitcase, my Roland Jx3p and PG200 controller...

aL

Originally posted by gliderproarc:

... Did you opt for the 160 GB 5400 rpm drive? ...

Yes, I stayed with the default 160 which actually seems to be 148 Gig and has 130 Gig free. I thought about the faster, smaller drive but my budget was pushed to the limit and I decided to avoid any options that were not already on that model. Besides, I have a 300 Gig Firewire 800 drive ready to connect and that is where any libraries will go that need to be streamed from disk. Another reason I wanted the 17" model, it comes with a Firewire 800 port. I would like a Firewire 400 audio interface, but it will have to be a cheap one.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

For the first time in a long time, I don't have gas in either way :D I'm pretty content with my setup and for me its more about learning to use what I have better so I can get the most out of it. I guess my gas now is more knowledge for the stuff I have.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Moe,

Did you get the A7's yet or are you about to? I am sort of looking at them to replace my events PS8's. I read somewhere that the low end will suffer a bit because the Events have an 8 inch woofer and the Adams a 7 inch woofer...

Any thoughts on that issue?

aL

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I would recommend buying CME products locally. I currently am trying out GPP-3 pedal. It's flakey at best. The dealer that I got it from had one of the original CME keyboards when they first came out. It had numerous issues as well. I would check it out throughly prior to purchase and work with it a lot during the first 30 days to make sure it's 100%.

Busch.

Sorry about the GPP-3... that looked like an interesting device. Good advice, which just makes me all the more wary...

Haven't bought them yet and can't compare directly to the Events, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

What I have heard is that they have amazing bass for their size which is tight and well defined, but not boomy. Good for hearing details of your low end.

They are nearfields, so I wouldn't expect them to project 10 feet into a room.

Moe

---

• 4 months later...

I just reread my opening post about selling the An1x after having bought the NL3... Wow, how things change!!!

Now I am back to the An1x and the NL3 is gathering dust (actually it's covered) in a corner of my studio!! How about that? Among the things that caused me to return to the An1x:

1) Superior keybed, translates into a much more enjoyable playing experience;

2) Five Octave Keybed which is great for splits;

3) Just couldn't get the NL3 to warm up. There's something about the An engine that is simply warmer altogether; and last but not least,

4) Efx, Efx, Efx.

Surprisingly, as much as the AN1x has been an enigma to me for many moons, it seems like the light bulb came on and I am certainly understanding better where I need to go to accomplish the sound sculpting changes I am looking for. The Graphic Editor has helped a bit.

Just thought I'd let you all know... Now, I may be having reverse GAS (selling my NL3), but I'll wait a few more weeks/months in case I change my mind about it....

aL

Archived