Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90ES put spell on me

delirium

Yesterday I went to GC and accidentally run into S90ES connected to good monitors. My mistake was I started to play, because I couldnt get up for an hour :)

S90ES piano sound put spell on me, and Fantom X8 going back to store, although it has 10x more features and graded action...

Finally I found the "right piano sound", I've tried before yamaha P series, fantom X with and without SRX-11, RD700sx and nothing fully worked for me.

Why you guys didnt tell me earlier that S90ES grand piano is the best? :D

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah right. Plenty of S series users here. I think you were in denial. ;)

Many cats do still dig the Roland grand piano sound too. If/when you make the leap, welcome to the other side. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This is exactly what happened to me with the non-ES S90.

Went in to get an RCA-1/4" adapter and ended up taking a 2 hour lunch...by mistake.

Best piano patch? Best action? Argh! I think the S-series just has a great feedback loop from hands to ears.

I understand this spell as well. I was going ot purchase the RD700SX and played the S90ES. I was blown away. I didn't think anything could sound as good as the RD700SX but I was wrong. The S90ES is the perfect fit for me. Its an absolutely great board and one you will continue to be amazed by as you dive deeper and deeper into it. Rememeber every day you wait is one less day you have one :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I'm one who prefers the bitter sweet timber of the RD-700SX. The RD-700SX tone is both dark and bright at the same time. The S90-ES is more neutral.

My SRX-11 is not really as fine as the RD-700SX piano, even though they are based on the same samples. I am not a fan of the Fantom Piano.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

My only concern is the action because Ive never used not graded/progressive one but on this Yamaha its almost not noticeable lack of progression in keys weight. Can this key bed withstand heavy beating?

BTW I even found some piano sound I was looking for a long time, I guess it was Mono-Comp

which was incredible.

All I can say PXX, RD700SX, SRX-11 etc are not in the same league as S90ES in regards to piano sound. With Roland I justified purchase with all the other features its has aside the piano which is OK but didnt give me enough satisfaction.

With S90ES I dont care about other features :D

Anyway after 2 years since I abandoned Yamaha pianos I guess Im back.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I'm one who prefers the bitter sweet timber of the RD-700SX. The RD-700SX tone is both dark and bright at the same time.

Thats the problem I had with RD700SX,

it went dark or bright whenever it wanted, not when I wanted.Very uneven.

I was even thinking it was headphones or my ears getting older, but no they are OK... :)

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

..... isnt this like the 4th or 5th board youve gone thought now ???? your worse then me...

chiming in a bit more,...

I had the RD700sx and switched to the S90ES as well. The primary reason I guess would be that I felt the S90ES was more bang for my buck. I think the S90ES is a more 'inspiring' board then the RD700sx.

The secondary reason would be that although I agree with Jazz+ about the piano, "bitter sweet", and the S90ES being more neutral. Point being I liked the character of the Supior Grand a bit more then the Natural S. Out of nowhere a few notes on the 700sx started to have an annoying 'ring' to them which drove me nuts.

So for more inspiration and a non-ringing piano, I swithed to the S90ES.

You may be right about the S90ES putting a spell on you. Its possible that Yamaha put some sort of electromagnetical coil in it which creates a frequency sphere which cause the a mesmorising effect on the brain.

Very often I sit down at the S90ES with the intenion of just putting in a few minutes of practice and after playing for 'a few minutes' I look at the clock and a couple of hours have gone by. --- this happens all the time. - dam electrmagnetical sphere....

I think Yamaha may have multiple frequencies in that sphere sending hidden messages as well. Even though Im happy with the S90ES there are thoughts being transmitted to my head to buy the next workstation from Yamaha and its not even out yet. --- dam elextrmagnetical sphere again Ill tell ya ......

Originally posted by delirium:

Can this key bed withstand heavy beating?

I can't speak for others, but I've been banging the heck out of my S90ES for more than a year and I haven't had any problems with the keybed at all (knock on wood).

Noah

All I can say PXX, RD700SX, SRX-11 etc are not in the same league as S90ES in regards to piano sound.

All I can say is they ALL ARE in the same league. Whether it's Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord, Kurzweil, GEM it doesn't matter to me. They all have very similar issues. If you prefer one over the other fine, but they're all in the same ballpark, as far as I'm concerned.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

All I can say PXX, RD700SX, SRX-11 etc are not in the same league as S90ES in regards to piano sound.

All I can say is they ALL ARE in the same league. Whether it's Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord, Kurzweil, GEM it doesn't matter to me. They all have very similar issues. If you prefer one over the other fine, but they're all in the same ballpark, as far as I'm concerned.

Busch.

I din't make general statement. All I said it was my subjective opinion based on information provided to me by my private pair of ears ;)
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Having downloaded and played the clips on your site many times over, the start of which I think is a fairly brutal test for matching of multisamples, it seems to me that some have greater issues in terms of quality and consistency than others.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

Hey delirium, after a year of heavy pounding, one of my keys on the S90ES did break. I had it repaired quickly and I'm back in business.

Hi Jazzwee, So looks like yamahas keys are weaker then roland? or jazz is not good for keys ;)

I broke also key in my previous P80 board. My roland FP-5 takes everyday beating 2 years and nothing breaks so far.

Is that replacement of a key in S90ES painless

financially?

So maybe I'll be still practicing scales and sh@#t

on roland but play on yamaha to save its keys? :)

But no...my new mentor told me I should never "practice", I should always play... :P

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Actually my jazz buddy plays on his Roland and broke MULTIPLE keys ;) All I am saying is that they are not indescructible (regardless of brand).

Good luck with your new mentor.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Every single time I play the Full Grand Piano on my SE90ES I cannot simply believe that people settle for it as their premiere piano on their MotifES boards. I keep thinking that if it's all you know and have ever had, sits well in a mix, etc. that maybe it doesn't matter.

But after I have put probably 1000 hours on the S90ES Natural S piano whenever I go to the Full Grand preset it sounds like the Honky Tonk piano! I am not exagerating! It's all tinny and funny sounding. Then back to my Natural S and all is right in the world!

I'm sure it has something to do with being so used to a particular sound, but the difference is beyond staggering. I wouldn't play on the Full Grand sound. Period.

I'm setting up a iMac 20" with Mackie KR824s and going the Digital Performer / Ivory route and am dying to see the difference. I am thinking it may make my S90ES Natural S the equivalent of the Full Grand! Not sure if this is good or bad, though.

Not an attack; to all those that are happy with their Motif Piano good on ya! I'm just saying that for me the S90ES is the best piano I have ever heard on a rompler. Had a Fantom XR and liked their piano too, but no comparison to this one.

Tommy

"Yesterday I went to GC and accidentally run into S90ES connected to good monitors. My mistake was I started to play, because I couldnt get up for an hour"

Yep, me too. It happened the day after last Thanksgiving and I have been playing mine for almost a year now.

"But after I have put probably 1000 hours on the S90ES Natural S piano whenever I go to the Full Grand preset it sounds like the Honky Tonk piano! I am not exagerating! It's all tinny and funny sounding. Then back to my Natural S and all is right in the world!"

I feel the same way. If you like the sound, try wearing headphones. It will capture you and not let you go - absolutely beautiful.

I am still looking for a good Rhoades piano sound on the S90ES. They have a bunch of good sounds, but I have not found a Rhoades sound I really like yet. Any suggestions?

Lou

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

Originally posted by loumi:

I am still looking for a good Rhoades piano sound on the S90ES. They have a bunch of good sounds, but I have not found a Rhoades sound I really like yet. Any suggestions?

Lou [/QB]

For me roland had always better rhodes then yamaha,

but on S90ES I found pretty much close one. Besides

it's a synth, so you should be able to synthesize it, right? :)

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Why you guys didnt tell me earlier that S90ES grand piano is the best? :D

I think the questions is "why weren't you listening?"

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by loumi:

I am still looking for a good Rhoades piano sound on the S90ES. They have a bunch of good sounds, but I have not found a Rhoades sound I really like yet. Any suggestions? Lou

I would suggest you sell the S90ES and purchase the real deal (a reconditioned Fender Rhodes). ;)

IMO, the S90ES does an amazing job. The samples are very good.

Have you tried editing the onboard Rhodes sounds to get them closer to taste?

What are you playing the S90ES through?

Amplification can also make or break a keyboard sound too.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just wanted to add my additional agreement about the S90 ES. I just purchased one two weeks ago. I love the Natural S patch, but I also really like many of the other piano patches.

I'm still learning how to work it, so I have a question for you S90 ES experts: Is it possible when spliting the keyboard into zones, to layer two (or more) sounds in a Zone? I play bass with my left hand, (I am the bass player in my band)and I'd like to have a layered upper zone, say a piano and string combo.

Someone questioned the Rhodes patches. I personally think there are two or three really good ones, but I have heard what sound like fine patches from the motifator.com library:

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe_VMP.htm

Has anyone used any of these libraries? Just wondering if you can comment?

Thanks.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

Originally posted by skykeys:

Just wanted to add my additional agreement about the S90 ES. I just purchased one two weeks ago. I love the Natural S patch, but I also really like many of the other piano patches.

I'm still learning how to work it, so I have a question for you S90 ES experts: Is it possible when spliting the keyboard into zones, to layer two (or more) sounds in a Zone? I play bass with my left hand, (I am the bass player in my band)and I'd like to have a layered upper zone, say a piano and string combo.

Someone questioned the Rhodes patches. I personally think there are two or three really good ones, but I have heard what sound like find patches from the motifator.com library:

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe_VMP.htm.

Has anyone used any of these libraries? Just wondering if you can comment?

Thanks.

Very easy to do. Each performance has 4 voices.

Enter all the 4 voices you want. By default they will all be layered on each other.

Then adjust the range for each one using the appropriate Hi and Low limit. Adjust the volume for each. Assign an arpeggio to some (like drums). Save.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Recently played both the S90ES and RD700sx in the shop. I prefered the S90ES piano, but with one keyboard I'd probably go for the RD700sx due to the far better Hammond sim built into it.

However, on the RD700sx I couldn't figure out how to control some Hammond things like scanner, and I didn't like the Leslie sim as much as I like the one on the VK8-M. I thought the RD700sx had the VK8 features built in, but maybe not.

Another difference was that I could pretty much guess and work my way around the Roland, but the Yamaha was an enigma. User interfaces should be clear! IMHO, Japanese manufacturers have never been very good at that, and I miss SCI and Ensoniq.

I'd put 'em both in the same class, though, and I would not put the Electro's piano in the same class.

BTW, I think graded action is a waste. It might be important for someone who's first an acoustic piano player, playing extremely demanding and sensitive pieces, who practices on a digital. But for a gigging all-around keyboard player, all graded action serves to do is make it so that split keyboard setups feel wrong.

We're lucky how good things are today, and just think how great they'll be in another 5 years!

Hey, if it's possible to load sounds into either an S90es or RD700ex (or any other popular synth), just point me to the technical info and I'll create a version of my Rhodes soundfont for your synth.

Skykeys, please delete the period at the end of your link.

learjeff - done. Thanks for pointing that out. I also found another mistake while I was there, so I fixed that also. :)

Jazzwee, thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear it can do that. I assumed it could, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

Originally posted by Jazz+:

HOME: Kawai ES4, Mason & Hamlin piano

Busch.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm not very good on the piano yet, but I love the sound of a real grand Piano...... just about any Piano really.

I appreciate the MasonHamlins, Steinways, Yamaha's, AugustForster, etc.... the grands, the baby grands, the Uprights, the Spinets....... whatever, it doesn't matter to me.

Sit me in front of a piano, & I'm going to play it. If it's in tune, I'll find some way to make the experience enjoyable. Maybe I'll play Fur Elise, or maybe I'll play GreatBalls of Fire. Maybe I'll play Home Sweet Home, Maybe I'll play MyImmortal.... depends on how I feel, depends on the piano.

I feel the same way about the Yamaha S90ES..... the Roland RD700sx..... the Kurzweill.... etc.

I bought the FantomX8...... mainly because I was extremely satisfied with my FantomS. I've got different piano's in the X8 that I like for different things.

It'd be nice if I could buy one of everything.....

Originally posted by ProfD:

I would suggest you sell the S90ES and purchase the real deal (a reconditioned Fender Rhodes). ;) ]

In a way you are probably right - not to sell the S90ES but to get a good used Rhodes. I got a Korg CX-3 for the Hammond clone sound instead of trying to get something like the S90ES to do it - much better off.

Have you tried editing the onboard Rhodes sounds to get them closer to taste?
I do not know of any onboard Rhodes patches, at least there are not any that say that (but then again they wouldn't since Yamaha doesn't own the original sound).

Ideally, yes, I should be able to program the thing to make just about any sound I want. Although I write firmware for a living, I am still a little confused as to how to program the S90ES. I have been playing the thing so much, I have not taken the time to program it. I have been using the built-in patches instead. Anybody know of a good lesson or book that could guide me through that? The user's manual does not seem very easy to use.

What are you playing the S90ES through?
When I practice, I play through headphones; when I perform, it goes mono through a Mackie mixer to drive (crummy) speakers in our church. The headpones deliver an almost perfect sound, but I have not heard an even close to Rhodes built-in patch. Am I missing something? If there is a built-in patch that sounds like a Rhodes, I would like to know the name of it.

Lou

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

one thing I just realized that freaking booard is too long. Look like it won't fit in my standard gator 88 keys bag :( Does it require special case?

On the other hand I can put bottle of beer next to the pitch wheel :D

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived