Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90ES put spell on me

delirium

For you Mofif ES users, there is a piano patch 'somewhere' in the huge pile of free sounds over at Motifactor called 'Alex Grand' which is the best piano 'version' of the Motif's 'Full Grand' that I have heard. It is much more 'alive' and has much more sustain.

There is another one called 'sGrand Dry' which is also very good, however Im not sure if that one was created from the S90ES or the Motif...

Just thought Id share that info.

or.... If you dont feel like finding a piano in a heystack, I could email them over to ya via S90ES voice editor.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ohhhh, and, that new sound bank 'Stage and Studio'..... well I bought it,,...yes, I said I BOUGHT IT,... and, 'fyi' the piano in that bank sounds exactly like the stock Motif ES 'Full Grand' it was just re-named to 'PoP Grand' (i think) im not even sure, I didnt even bother loading that one on my S90ES.....

the rest of the sounds in that bank frankly to me were only so-so,.. a few cool 'Sc' catagory patches,.. 'bell-ish - pads' that I liked....

I think I only saved half a dozen or so patches out of the whole bank.

Originally posted by loumi:

Originally posted by ProfD:

I would suggest you sell the S90ES and purchase the real deal (a reconditioned Fender Rhodes). ;) ]

In a way you are probably right - not to sell the S90ES but to get a good used Rhodes. I got a Korg CX-3 for the Hammond clone sound instead of trying to get something like the S90ES to do it - much better off.

Have you tried editing the onboard Rhodes sounds to get them closer to taste?
I do not know of any onboard Rhodes patches, at least there are not any that say that (but then again they wouldn't since Yamaha doesn't own the original sound).

Ideally, yes, I should be able to program the thing to make just about any sound I want. Although I write firmware for a living, I am still a little confused as to how to program the S90ES. I have been playing the thing so much, I have not taken the time to program it. I have been using the built-in patches instead. Anybody know of a good lesson or book that could guide me through that? The user's manual does not seem very easy to use.

What are you playing the S90ES through?
When I practice, I play through headphones; when I perform, it goes mono through a Mackie mixer to drive (crummy) speakers in our church. The headpones deliver an almost perfect sound, but I have not heard an even close to Rhodes built-in patch. Am I missing something? If there is a built-in patch that sounds like a Rhodes, I would like to know the name of it.

Lou

You can go here

They have alot of stuff on the S90 and S90ES including a behind the manual section which is very useful. Inthe forums Phi; and Brad are also very knowledgable about the S90ES and will offer you a great wealth of information. You may also want to do a search in the S90ES forum to see if there's any additional information. The behind the manual section is very helpful and goes into detail on many things.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by learjeff:

However, on the RD700sx I couldn't figure out how to control some Hammond things like scanner, and I didn't like the Leslie sim as much as I like the one on the VK8-M. I thought the RD700sx had the VK8 features built in, but maybe not.

You can get scanner via an FX. When I set up an organ patch on the RD700SX I use Organ Multi for scanner and overdrive. You can set the scanner intensity to one of three levels (50s, 60s, 70s) and it has all six chorus/vibrato variations. I do not like the rotary effect built into this FX as well as the one in VK Rotary, so I end up using two organ FX in line. This works quite well. I also set the spread on the rotary to 0 which is almost mono but to my ear sounds the best. Other issues with the RD700SX is that you can't set the volume on the percussion, which is a drag. It's a surprisingly good organ sim overall.

Busch.

Originally posted by delirium:

BTW, is that Natural S piano the same as in CP300

or different?

This is my analysis of the various Yamaha pianos from a cursory listening on some and detailed on others.

1) P series, "Full Grand" (Motif ES, S90ES), CP33/300. Recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS grand; little to no ambience--anechoic chamber.

2) S90/S90ES. Recording of a Yamaha S700 Grand; also little to no ambience-anechoic chamber.

3) PLG-AP. New recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS. More ambience and a darker overall tone.

So to answer you question, no the "S" or "S700" is not found in the CP300. It is my guess that the main CP300 piano is a refined version of #1 above, which is included in the S90ES. The S90ES includes many ac piano sample sets.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Originally posted by delirium:

BTW, is that Natural S piano the same as in CP300

or different?

This is my analysis of the various Yamaha pianos from a cursory listening on some and detailed on others.

1) P series, "Full Grand" (Motif ES, S90ES), CP33/300. Recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS grand; little to no ambience--anechoic chamber.

2) S90/S90ES. Recording of a Yamaha S700 Grand; also little to no ambience-anechoic chamber.

3) PLG-AP. New recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS. More ambience and a darker overall tone.

So to answer you question, no the "S" or "S700" is not found in the CP300. It is my guess that the main CP300 piano is a refined version of #1 above, which is included in the S90ES. The S90ES includes many ac piano sample sets.

Busch.

nice reference, thanks.

So S90ES in regards of piano sound is really the best choice of all. Great because just ordered it.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by learjeff:

BTW, I think graded action is a waste. It might be important for someone who's first an acoustic piano player, playing extremely demanding and sensitive pieces, who practices on a digital. But for a gigging all-around keyboard player, all gradedoo action serves to do is make it so that split keyboard setups feel wrong.

[/QB]

I agree, in acoustic piano because of lower sound strings being very thick, it's necessary to have heavier hammers to make a good sound,

In digitals, it serves no purpose other then imitating. It should be a least switchable on demand, like touch feature.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by loumi:

----------------------------------------

I am still looking for a good Rhoades piano sound on the S90ES. They have a bunch of good sounds, but I have not found a Rhoades sound I really like yet. Any suggestions? Lou

----------------------------------------

Listen to some patches that you have no use for and make note of their locations in the User patches. Then by using the "Edit" button on a Rhodes patch that you like or feel has potential, start my changing the tone of the patch. You can boost the high or med/high, reduce the mid/low to get out mid range sounds that muddy the patch, and set the low end to taste on bass notes. Also try editing the chorus/and LFO speed as well as the depth of the chorus. The ES has countless different Chorus types, be sure to try them all. I use to use a slow Tremelo speed on my real Rhodes most of the time, sounds cool on the Rhodes as well as the ES series. After tweaking awhile, you might find that the patch you edited is more to your taste than the factory patch, then you can save it off to a USER location previously noted. Just start with basic stuff and make minor changes and compare to the factory patch.

As far as the libraries you buy on Motifator.com, they all come from the original samples that were edited and then bundled for sale. You can edit your own and save them with a little practice.

I think you can get really nice Rhodes sounds on the ES series. I've compared the edited Rhodes patches on my Motif ES8 to my suitcase Rhodes in my music room. Much more flexibility and zero maintenance on my Motif ES8. I'm still not about to sell my suitcase Rhodes any time soon though. Nice collector's piece. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Everything about the S90 is great...

Except the weight!

50 unwieldy pounds + minimum 15 pounds for a soft case = 65 pounds

Am I alone in thinking that a gigging weighted bottom board should weigh in at 40 pounds or less?

The S90 is a back breaker!

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Originally posted by wdl:

Except the weight!

Am I alone in thinking that a gigging weighted bottom board should weigh in at 40 pounds or less?

Bill,

Were all with you about the weight. Unfortunately trying to find something in the under 40LBS range like the S90ES has proven to be very difficult. :(

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by wdl:

Except the weight!

I just returned fantom X8, after that everything else seems to be very light :) especially under 50lb.
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

To loumi: In the S90ES, have you played the patch labeld 'HrdVintage' in the Keyboard bank? I think that is a very good Rhodes sound, IMHO. There are a few similar variations, like 'Vintage 74' and a couple of others, but the HrdVintage is my favorite for being able to get that "growl-ly" sound when you play the keys hard, particuarly on the lower notes. It's not as growlly as a real Rhodes, but it's pretty close.

With sound patches, like music in general, it's all very subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. If you think that patch is not a good Rhodes emulation to your ears, then that's fine.

I'm just saying, to my ears, it's very good.

Also, I'll add that I played my S90ES for the first time through an amp, practicing with a band the other night. I went through a basic Fender guitar amp, and it sounded really good, even with only running mono. I was primarily playing acoustic piano patches, that Rhodes patch, and a few of the rock oriented organ patches. I was quite happy with how they all sounded.

I am curious what you think of the 'HrdVintage' patch.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

To wdl: regarding the weight of the S90ES. It's no heavier (more or less) than other boards of that ilk. I have an old Ensoniq E-prime, which is only a 76 note board, and it's just as heavy as the S90ES. The new CP-300 is 70 lbs. Yikes!

Laws of Physics, you know. I think you have to have a solid base on a piano style keyboard you're going to bang on. Plus, cost is an issue. I guess it would be lighter if the whole thing was made of titanium, but it would not be affordable.

For a case I just got the Gator GK 288R.

http://www.gatorcases.com/documents/Product%20X-Ref%20PDF/GK-288R.pdf

It has wheels! :) This case works well for the S90ES.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

dbl post

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by skykeys:

In the S90ES, have you played the patch labeld 'HrdVintage' in the Keyboard bank?

I am curious what you think of the 'HrdVintage' patch.

Regards.

I think that's a very nice patch. It's new for the ES series. I tried to re-program that into the original S90, but to no avail, eventhough it uses waveforms that are found on the S90.

I also like the improved acoustic bass in the ES.

Busch.

It's funny - my experience between the two boards is different.

I recently spent a couple of weeks with each board - 2 weeks with the Yammy ES followed by two weeks with the Roland 700sx. I currently have a roland RD 300sx and a motif ES, so I have no bias for one company versus the other.

At first I really liked the Yamaha sound. But after a couple of days, it seemed to bore me. I ended up using it as a tone generator and hooked my 300sx up again. I should mention that I have a very accurate system for replay. Von Schweikard high end monitors, PS audio Amplification - good cabling, and a balanced power conditioner.

Next I got the 700 sx. It was far more organic and engaging then the Yamaha. I couldn't stop playing it, and it literally pained me to take it back.

I felt in comparing the two - that the Yamaha had some very nice samples - that didn't mix as organically as the Roland. I "think" perhaps the roland's samples weren't as bold, and maybe were dirtier - but ultimately seemed to resonate or vibrate in a much more natural way. Yes there was some uneveness - but even a few people I had over during that time - felt it "woodier" sounding... more convincing as an instrument.

I think the yamaha was just some really good samples that came out into the air as independant sounds - not a wholistic instrument.

To my ears (and the ears of my friends) the Roland sounded more musical.

However, I can still envision more improvement and decided to hang onto my 300sx, and wait for the next generation of digitals.

I think the ES Fender Rhodes samples are terrific.

Tell me, does anyone else get dizzy listening to the autopan effect wearing headphones?

I lost track of who didn't like the Rhodes sounds (delirium?), but you might try the Vintage Keys collection of programs (from sninety.com). I bought these about a month into my S90ES adventure, and I'm still learning new things about programming this board everytime I open a new patch from this set to discover what's going on in there.

I believe Vintage Keys is from Dave Polich's studio (DCP Productions). Dave is a regular at sninety.com, and I've heard that he's also the guy behind many of the ES presets, (Dave's B comes to mind.)

Regardless, Vintage Keys is an excellent set of keyboard Voices. His 200A Voice is spot on. He's programmed a variety of Rhodes, including a few with amplifier problems, and some very nice, usable DX7 pianos. But then he's also got some great leads, a very good example of those 2 sounds from Who's Next that get discussed around here alot, some oddball ring mod sound effects if you like that kind of thing, and even a couple of Mellotron simulations done by gating some of the string and flute waveforms that aren't bad.

The leads in this collection really bring home the fact that the S90 is a synth, and not simply a stage piano.

For $35, you really can't go wrong.

regards,

--kwgm

May 8th, 2007, which is of course Keith Jarrett's birthday. No coincidence here. Due in no small part to the cosmic connection between him and the master, he will on this date reach an epiphany and give up digital instruments entirely. He will purchase, not an acoustic piano, but a Samick.

Busch.

Originally posted by RABid:

Let's start a pool. We all know that within two months delirium will trade in his S90ES for the "next great keyboard". Pick a day and a brand.

I'll go with ...

January 22, 2007

GEM

:D

Robert

well, with keyboards like with woman,

you cannot keep them forever, ;)

or even better is to have a few :D

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by burningbusch:

May 8th, 2007, which is of course Keith Jarrett's birthday. No coincidence here. Due in no small part to the cosmic connection between him and the master, he will on this date reach an epiphany and give up digital instruments entirely. He will purchase, not an acoustic piano, but a Samick.

Busch.

LAUGHTER OUT LOUD

very funny Samick!!!!!!!!!

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Update:

Im testing at home already fifth day S90ES and unlike RD700SX and fantom X8 I feel excited when I sit to play everyday.BTW because of it I didnt sleep 3 nights already. That instrument has something in it.

Also its remote function convinced me completely to switch to software sequencer.

Its like having sequencer on board, but better.(It came with Cubase LE.) Absolutely love that instrument. Also action is so good that you don't feel too much is not progressive weight but ballanced.

You can think and say whatever you want but this is the best sounding keyboard on the market today.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived