Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Year's Eve booked?

Ed Coury

Do you have something lined up? What kind of place and where?

I haven't confirmed yet, but looks like I'll be playing at an intimate club...small place, so I won't make enough to pay for the Moog Voyager that's been calling my name -- but triple what the place usually pays.

I like gigs like that -- makes you feel more like you're part of the party ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got booked up a couple of months ago for a similar affair over here in the UK. Great medium sized private club with knowledgable crowd and v.good engineer/PA setup.. cant think of anything else id rather be doing on new years eve seeing as my 2 yr old girl will be sound asleep by 7:30 :love:

New years eve is one of thoses gigs where you can really feel like your pay packet is a better reflection of your time and effort... :thu:

WHAT IS HIP?

I'vebeen asked to pencil something in with a cover band (keys/guitar/bass/drums) playing rock and roll/70s rock/reggae/soul and jazz. The bandleader does not like to give out details (no idea why).

Last year was similar and well paid in a restaurant on the South Coast of England near Brighton. The pay was very good. Didn't get home till about 4 a.m. though

Only problem with being a musician and working New Years Eve is that my wife ends up lonely and alone (she can't come too as we have a 5 year old son). What do you guys do about that?

Originally posted by Phil W:

Only problem with being a musician and working New Years Eve is that my wife ends up lonely and alone (she can't come too as we have a 5 year old son). What do you guys do about that?

Usually get a sitter if the wife is coming to a gig. Rough part is FINDING one willing to work on New Year's Eve :mad:

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I'm lucky that we have family living close by.. My partners nephews are always willing to sit for us for cold hard cash...

Last year one of them told us cos it was new years eve he would have to charge £15 instead of the usual £10 for the night... lol

we gave him £20 btw.. :rolleyes:

WHAT IS HIP?

I'vebeen asked to pencil something in with a cover band (keys/guitar/bass/drums) playing rock and roll/70s rock/reggae/soul and jazz. The bandleader does not like to give out details (no idea why).

If he gave you the details, you might try to steal the gig? Bandleaders are some bizarre creatures.

My wife and I have a pretty good arrangement. I don't hang out at her job, she doesn't hang out at mine.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I will be playing in Philly on the Mushalue (sp?). I have no idea how to spell it but I played there for a private party in Sept and they hired us back to play New Years. It is a floating restaurant i.e. a permenantly docked boat. Nice money since I have an airline voucher from another gig so my cost will be minimal.

Renting a van for some of the guys to drive up and carry equipment. Spend a couple days in Philly should be a fun time. We have some players up there that we'll stay with.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

Do you have something lined up? What kind of place and where?

I haven't confirmed yet, but looks like I'll be playing at an intimate club...small place, so I won't make enough to pay for the Moog Voyager that's been calling my name -- but triple what the place usually pays.

I like gigs like that -- makes you feel more like you're part of the party ;-)

I'm going to be opening for the Rolling Stones of New Year. Its one of the greatest things ot ever happen to me. Then I woke up and realized I still don't have plans yet. :rolleyes:

I did turn down a gig with a friend's band because I don't like the ego and immaturity of the singer. The fact I would have to drive 3 hours to the middle of nowhere is also a factor. Ironically I'd think I'd rather watch someone else play and enjoy the evening with friends.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

We booked this New Years approximately 30 seconds after playing the last note of last year's New Years gig. :) Whoever we play for on New Years, we generally always give them first shot at next year. Kind of a bummer because we've been offerred considerably more money numerous times this year. Dog gone integrity thing always getting in the way. ;)
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

We played the Esquire House of Blues the last two NYE's, but another hotel chain bought the building out and, no more live music. :cry::cry::cry:

We didn't have anything lined up until two weeks ago. We played the club on Hill Air Force Base (they're combined clubs now, officers and enlisted in the same building) and they had us play Friday night from 5:00 until 9:00. It was their hope that we'd keep the "after-work" crowd a bit longer, then as the night patrons came in they'd hear us for a bit before a DJ took over at 9:00. Well, we had pretty good crowd response and it was especially satisfying to see a packed dance floor when we did the last tune, we said goodnight, the "Bwoom-Bwoom-thwappa" of the DJ started, and the dance floor cleared. Completely!!

The entertainment chairman (an absolute babe :love: ) called us the next week and hired us for New Year's, I'm surprised they didn't have anything else lined up this late in the year.

And, heh-heh-heh, the DJ opens for us!!! :maniacal bird-flipping smiley goes here:

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Ironically I'd think I'd rather watch someone else play and enjoy the evening with friends.

That's how we are now. We actually enjoy NOT working on the holidays and spending quality time with the families.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Right now we have 2 different places in a bit of a bidding war. We've pretty much set a minimum, and at this point neither has come up with it.

I wouldn't mind staying home with my wife, something I almost never get to do.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

I'd rather watch someone else play and enjoy the evening with friends.

Not me. What I WOULD like to do is to sit and watch other folks set up and tear down from their gigs. I always enjoy that.

Forgot to mention earlier, got a half hour duo gig on NYE. The pay is crazygood for a half hour, and I think I'm done at 8.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

My one regular band is taking NYE off this year. The bandleader won't play NYE unless he get like 4x his normal pay or more, which seems completely reasonable to me.

I'm thinking about offering myself as a hired gun for NYE, but I might just chill at home with the wifey instead.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Nothing yet , and that will be okay. I'm projected to become a grandpa for the first time around those days. :)

So I'm sure we will be busy with family.

I guess I will officially become a musical "geezer" then .

Originally posted by kad:

We booked this New Years approximately 30 seconds after playing the last note of last year's New Years gig. :) Whoever we play for on New Years, we generally always give them first shot at next year. Kind of a bummer because we've been offerred considerably more money numerous times this year. Dog gone integrity thing always getting in the way. ;)

You shouldn't let yourself get played that way. After this year, you should let them know that your services are very much in-demand for New Year's and you can't book anything further than 6 months out unless they agree to a significant pay increase.

Business is business, my friend.

Originally posted by Trill:

Nothing yet , and that will be okay. I'm projected to become a grandpa for the first time around those days. :)

So I'm sure we will be busy with family.

I guess I will officially become a musical "geezer" then .

Sweet! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

My band used to get into the bidding war thing or waiting for the best offer. It bit us one year when we had turned down a local gig and ultimately took one 3 hrs away for more money, but harder travel. We do have parameters for this sort of thing and most of the guys in the band decided we would rather be closer to home and certainly making solid cash, or just take NYE off if the $$ is not right. With that said, many of us really would not be doing much celebration and just view NYE as a regular gig.

We are playing this year for a local country club party we have done before. The money is strong and it is a fun party. I think we booked it a year in advance.

Regards,

Eric

Archived