Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

saw a B3 for sale $8500

Jeff_D_in_MD

I just noticed a 1958 Hammond B3 for sale in Northern Virginia, USA:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/211441171.html

It's not mine, I don't know the seller, and I have no intention of buying it, but I thought I'd point it out in case someone thinks it's a good deal. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Why would anyone pay $8500 for a B3?

Just out of curiousity, what would be considered a good price for a B3? (Personally, I can't imagine lugging one to a gig, anymore than I'd bring my acoustic piano.)

Why would anyone pay $8500 for a B3?

The days of finding one in a little old lady's living room for $500 are pretty much gone.

Midwest US prices are up to the $4k - $6k range, more if it has a leslie. I would expect the coasts to be higher.

Dealers are selling them for $8k to $12k.

Moe

---

Set up a 'favorite search' on eBay for Hammond Organ. Search for items within 100 miles or less from your home. You may not see a b-3 right away, but other Hammond tonewheels go for next to nothing, because they are pick-up only, and some people just want it out of their home.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I think I sold an M3 for about $150 20 years ago. I believe it's in a funeral home in Poughkeepsie.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The Hammond XK3 system with Leslie will set you back about $8500. The New B3 with Leslie is double that. Questions: Do you think either of these will be viable instruments in 50 years? Will they be sought after? Will they sell for twice what they're selling for today?

The wood on a pristine B3 cabinet or vintage Leslie is something to behold. Mine looks absolutely like new. Just beautiful.

Busch.

The wood on a pristine B3 cabinet or vintage Leslie is something to behold.
Before we start getting a bit too romantic, I'm reasonably sure it was a veneer on both.

If I thought my old black and white TV had any value I certainly would have saved it had I known about Ebay. I grew up playing a Hammond B3; while it would be great to have it today in my living room, I'll ... settle for a digital copy.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by GregC:

start here

http://www.keyboardexchange.com/inventory.html

Based on that site, it seems that $8500 for B3 + Leslie is actually not a bad deal. However, if I had that kind of cash to blow on gear I'd still rather spend $1500 on a Roland VK-8 with Leslie emulation and pocket the remaining $7000. Especially since I've never played a B3 in my life and don't know what I'm missing!

Before we start getting a bit too romantic, I'm reasonably sure it was a veneer on both.

If I thought my old black and white TV had any value I certainly would have saved it had I known about Ebay. I grew up playing a Hammond B3; while it would be great to have it today in my living room, I'll ... settle for a digital copy.

I agree with Dave. For me, the upkeep on a B3 and Leslie 147 overwhelemed any idea of being a romantic purist.

Another factor is amount of living space, affordability and lifestyle choices. My townhouse has 1360 sq feet. I have already sacrificed by getting a Yamaha U3 vs a 5' 6" grand. Welcome to California real estate, Its been this way for 25 years

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I don't understand people being concerned about upkeep. Granted, if you buy an old organ and leslie that have not been touched for 20 years, you need to go through the electronics and replace any dried out caps.

After that, the thing will be good to go for another 20 years. A tonewheel hammond in good shape is WAY WAY WAY (triple way) more reliable than 90% of all modern electronics.

Moe

---

Dave, I'm sure you're correct. Sections will be veneer and some parts will be solid wood on both a vintage B3 and the New B3. I haven't examined the woodwork on the New B3 to see if it's of the same quality as the original, but let's say it is. The XK3 is definately NOT in the same category. I trust the New B3 is plywood underneath vs. chip board. I heard the new Leslies are chipboard (don't know for a fact).

I quess my point is the cabinet on my 1959 B3 and Leslie looks new. No weather checking, no issues. It looks like it's maybe six months old. I've seen 45 year old pedal boards that either were never played or never played with shoes. It is entirely feasible to still find Hammonds that have never been moved since the day they were delivered or maybe moved from one side of the living room to the other. You can find instruments that cosmetically and mechanically are in extraordinary condition.

People are quick to point out the weight issue and how it isn't feasible to drag these things around. Obviously true. But you would have to be a complete moron to pay $8500 for a pristine instrument like that one and then gig with it.

Busch.

Dave,

Veneer is solid wood, it is a thin rotory cut of the tree. Every expensive piano uses veneer for it's finish.

Peace

last week i descovered my basement-studio full of rain water after a huge rain fall. When i switched on my old Hammond Porta B it sounded like a drunken lion... but after a while the good old sound came back! Mind you, the bottom of my hammond (where lots of mechanical parts and tubes are located in this specific model) was inside the water for long hours before i got there! I wonder what would happen if my Electro had been in the same situation...
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by burningbusch:

[/qb]

Dave, I'm sure you're correct. Sections will be veneer and some parts will be solid wood on both a vintage B3 and the New B3. I haven't examined the woodwork on the New B3 to see if it's of the same quality as the original, but let's say it is. The XK3 is definately NOT in the same category. I trust the New B3 is plywood underneath vs. chip board. I heard the new Leslies are chipboard (don't know for a fact).

Busch. [/QB]

Much of the woodwork for the Hammond and Leslie products is made here:

http://www.swissplywood.com/

It is my understanding that for much of the product line, the electronics are shipped to the US and assembled into the cases in Chicago. For a couple of the items (I think the pedalboards, maybe others), the electronics are shipped directly to Swiss Plywood and assembled there.

They make and use furniture grade plywood. The lower manual, stand and bench of my XK-System have panels and support bars made of from 11 to "I think" 27 ply pieces.

$8500 for a B3 and Leslie is pretty high, but it depends on the market. A mint condition B3 around here goes for about $5000. A Leslie, no matter the condition, should not go for more than $1200. So you're looking at $6200.

I just bought a 47 off a guy that found two at a yard sale for $10 a piece. I got my 1958 Hammond B3 for $20 about 8 years ago or so. The deals are still out there, you just have to keep your eyes open.

Originally posted by B3-er:

$8500 for a B3 and Leslie is pretty high, but it depends on the market. A mint condition B3 around here goes for about $5000. A Leslie, no matter the condition, should not go for more than $1200. So you're looking at $6200.

I just bought a 47 off a guy that found two at a yard sale for $10 a piece. I got my 1958 Hammond B3 for $20 about 8 years ago or so. The deals are still out there, you just have to keep your eyes open.

That's hillarious. No doubt you talked him down from the $25 asking price. :thu:

Busch.

I bought my 1958 M3 at The Salvation Army in Jersey City in 1999 for $150

I bought my Leslie 145 from some guy in Schenectady, NY for $50. The only catch with the 145 was I had to take and old Wurlitzer organ with the 145. I played around with the organ for a couple of weeks then dismantled it and disposed of it in the trash little by little every week.

The interesting thing about the Wurlitzer organ was that it had a rotating speaker inside.

Not a speaker that fed into a rotating drum or horn. The speaker itself spun around like a ferris wheel. I don't know how to explain this any better. Anybody ever seen one of those?

I picked up a B2 for free. It cost $87 to move it home, a weekend of desoldering and soldering to get the tone generator out to unstick it and back in. Sold it to a church for $800. Purchased a three manual Rodgers church organ with speakers for $800. I will probably invest another $900 to purchase parts to make it midi to control Hauptwerk and WurLitZer.

you're so lucky! Herein Europe Hammonds are precious and rare things to find. I got mine with the leslie for 3000 euros and it's a "poor" Porta-B! A guy's selling a B3 with Leslie for... 17.000 euros, can you imagine!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived