Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somoene's selling a VK-7 near me for $1k

DanS

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$1000 seems a bit high for a VK-7... I'd pay maybe $800 for one in great shape if I were in the market.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

$1000 seems a bit high for a VK-7... I'd pay maybe $800 for one in great shape if I were in the market.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Don't pay over $650-700 for a VK-7. That is 10 year old technology. I bought a used VK-7 in 2003 for $700 in a flight case.

It is a cool clone, but not worth $1k.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by HCMF:

Can anyone explain what the heck 'leakage' is?

What kind of effect are they trying to recreate?

I believe 'leakage' is the magnetic "bleed" from one tonewheel to the next.

So you play what you'd expect to be a pure tone and you'll hear an adjacent tonewheel sounding in a different octave.

I sold my VK7 about 4-5 years ago for 700. 500 would be a fair price. Granted it's 10 year old technology, but it was a good clone in it's day and could still be a serviceable keyboard.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Once again, thanks boys.

I guess for the most part it piqued my interest because it's only about 5mins from my place.

I'd actually like to pick up a VK8 eventually anyway, so I guess I'll wait.

No rush.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Yeah, to be honest, the other sounds on the VK-7 are mostly a waste. Shame too. Can't speak for the VK-8, though.

While the 7 has the LED, the 8 has the waterfall keys. I'd take those any day. Also, the 8 has the vibrato/chorus wheel more like the B-3, and I think the fact that you can have presets in the 7 but the drawbars are in a completely different position is weird. The presets also affect stuff like the overdrive, which might be say, full on but the preset has none so you get none. To each his own, I guess!

Still, I think the 7 is a good sounding clone even today. Then again, I've never put my paws on a real Hammond, so how would I know? lol And no one that hears my VK-7 can tell how close it is to a real Hammond either...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by Pursuitboy:

Way Bad.

Could easily finish in the top 3 in the worst sounding EP of all time thread.

And the award for worst sounding EP of all time goes to...

The envelope please

What, are you kidding? The winner in a landslide is the DX7. :rolleyes:

Moe

---

I still use a VK-7 on the road. Yeah, I'd love an XK-3, but the Roland just won't die and I just can't justify the expense. Running the VK-7 through a Leslie is a decent experience. Not perfect, but surprisingly good. $500 sounds about right for a good one.

k.

If you already have a keyboard for a controller you might look into the VK8M. I use it because I wanted only two keyboards and needed strings and synth sounds. I love it and you can pick up a new one for between $700-$800 US.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I still love my 7. I prefer everything about it over the 8 except for the keys.

I'm amazed you can get them that cheap, seems like a good deal to me.

Mine new 5 years ago set me back £1200 ( around $2000 ). Ah well.

Thanks guys.

Part of the vibe for me is the wood finish.

I've always loved the look.

I'd sell my JV-90 if I ended up getting it to keep the live element to 4 boards: S80, PEK, D-70 & VK(x).

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• 2 months later...
Ah, nice to see a VK-7 appreciation thread. I've really enjoyed mine over the last 18 months. i find it pretty good for playing my kurz module as well. Nevertheless, as soon as i get the dough I'll be looking to upgrad to the XK-3. I'll be hoping to get a bit more than $500 for it on ebay though.
I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

I love mine. Just love it. Especially through a pro3t.

There are some annoyances with the UI, but I make do.... Don't forget there were some annoyances on a real B3 UI too... (Glisses that hit the cancel preset key any one?)

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived