Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

I was a bit surprised that the Steelers released Joey Porter too. But at age 29, due a 1M signing bonus and 4M against the cap, he became expendable. A number of Steelers fans on Steelerslive were saying he's not a big loss. He was almost a non factor last season. And so it goes; if you win the fans love you, if you lose, you're looking for a job. The Steelers biggest problem is their ancient offensive line. Cowher knew when to get out of town. I don't see too many positives in the next few seasons for the Steelers.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the Jake Plummer drama this morning?

Traded to Tampa Bay, and immediately "retires" to avoid the trade going through since they can't guarantee he'll be starting ahead of Simms. This deal was supposed to, through some convoluted trade scenario, bring Jeff Garcia to the Raiders, which I don't think I was thrilled about in the first place.

Weird times.

- Jeff

I was initially surprised by the Porter and Horn situation until salary cap clicked in my brain.

Teams are realizing high priced veterans do not insure a Super Bowl appearance.

It is just a matter of time before teams trim the fat and/or spread it across younger talent.

I had not heard about the Plummer situation. I certainly think he could have beat out Simms. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Did you guys hear about the Denver RB that died in the chairty basketball game when he collapsed? Two Broncos die in such a short time, that has to be hard on the team. Maybe it will motivate them for this upcoming season.

Sad news.

There's sure been a lot of upheaval in the AFC West.

Best,

Geoff

Indeed, Denver's losses (two players off their roster) are ridiculous. The acquisiton of Dre Bly should help offset the loss of Darrent Williams.

I'm feeling a little better about the Chargers' situation. I'm liking the new defensive staff more and more. Cottrell should do fine as DC - its the same system he ran in Buffalo, and his secondary coach is an upgrade over the departed Brian Stewart. I'm not sure about Norv Turner's insistence that there be two of every position coach. His reasoning that there will be more attention to players makes sense on paper, but will it be too many cooks? We'll see.

Ron Rivera and Pagano as LB coaches will reportedly split the LB duties with one focusing on OLBs and the other on ILBs.

Kevin Ross was brought on as the #2 secondary coach. I'm guessing he'll be Bradley's assistant. I liked Ross as a player (excellent CB in KC, decent FS in SD) but don't know much about him as a coach.

What's helped me feel better is watching the NFL Japan-sponsored football anime Eyeshield 21 (click link in my new sig - episodes can be seen on YouTube). The main character appears to be inspired by a real-life RB who also wears #21 and a visor and runs with such speed and quickness he makes everyone else look like they're in slow motion. I was attracted by the link to LT, kept watching because of the slapstick humor, and continue to watch because the storytelling is surprisingly good.

This deal was supposed to, through some convoluted trade scenario, bring Jeff Garcia to the Raiders, which I don't think I was thrilled about in the first place.

I'm hearing the Garcia to the Raiders move is because the Raiders are planning on trading Moss, and getting Calvin Johnson in the draft. Football people were really really impressed with Calvin's performance in the recent combine. I take it that Garcia's Eagles performance, combined with the fact that a rookie QB isn't going to take you anywhere far seemed to be the thinking.

TROLL . . . ish.

I'm hearing the Garcia to the Raiders move is because the Raiders are planning on trading Moss, and getting Calvin Johnson in the draft. Football people were really really impressed with Calvin's performance in the recent combine.
The Raiders won't take Calvin Johnson - they really need a QB more. I'm gonna be very surprised if they don't t go with JaMarcus Russell.

Besides, Garcia and probably Jake Plummer are both going to Tampa Bay.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

[besides, Garcia and probably Jake Plummer are both going to Tampa Bay.

Thanks for reminding me db :(

We get two over the hill and washed up QBs. We have the number 4 pick. One would think either Quinn or Russell would be there for us wich would give us a chance to build for the future. Instead we waste value cap space on two has beens.

This reminds me of two years ago when Gruden brought in Charlie Garner and Tim Brown when it was obvious their careers were washed up. Looks like the Bucs will struggle to match their illustrious 4-12 record from last year.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

We get two over the hill and washed up QBs. We have the number 4 pick. One would think either Quinn or Russell would be there for us wich would give us a chance to build for the future. Instead we waste value cap space on two has beens.

Actually, it's my guess that the Bucs will be the team that ends up with Calvin Johnson. :idea:

The word is that Detroit will probably take OT Joe Thomas, and Cleveland needs a running back the most so they'll probably take Adrian Peterson. I'm guessing the Raiders will take Russell, and that Quinn will end up in Miami (no one between pick #4 and #9 needs a QB).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Well, the Skins lose Dockery, look to part ways with Holdman and Wright and pick up Fletcher and Smoot. On paper, I'll take it. Just need to add a DE.

The Raiders would be crazy not to take Russell. That kid is the only QB with the size and arm to escape a porous O line.

Steve, I know washed up QBs are not first preference but they will they would bring more to the table than either cat on the current roster. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Steve, I know washed up QBs are not first preference but they will they would bring more to the table than either cat on the current roster. :cool:

Thats very true. There is not a decent QB on the current roster. But Plummer and Garcia are old and maybe have a year or 2 left of decent play. Where does that leave us? We have been playing QB roulette since Brad Johnson left. I dont see a miraculous turn around for the team this year so I would have felt better to use this year as a rebuilding year. Start the process with a franchise QB who can be good in a year or two. There is something to be said for continuity and building for the future.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Wow! It's a sad day for us Packers fans:

Ahman Green Signs with Houston Texans

The offense has been designed around the one-two-punch of Brett Favre and Ahman Green for so long, I don't know what it will look like with Green gone.

Ahman was one of the all-time great Packers -- he'll be sorely missed! :(

It won't completely be the end of an era until Favre is gone, but it's sure getting close...

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I heard on EPSN radio this morning that Jack Plummer is going to retire. He doesn't want to be traded, and the Broncos don't want him anymore. That's what happens when you lose the AFC Championship after the season ticket holders had already booked their flights to the Super Bowl. Like many others, Jake "Couldn't win the big one".

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The offense has been designed around the one-two-punch of Brett Favre and Ahman Green for so long, I don't know what it will look like with Green gone.

It won't completely be the end of an era until Favre is gone, but it's sure getting close...

Best,

Geoff

Any idea who your new starting RB is going to be, Geoff?

Unfortunately, none whatsoever.

By default, it would be backup Vernand Morency, who gained 434 yards on 96 carries last year; but I presume that the Packers will either fill Green's vacancy in the draft or sign another free agent running back soon.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Best,

Geoff

Man, that sucks. I hope the Pack can swing something good in the draft. There just aren't any great backs on the free agent market.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Unfortunately, none whatsoever.

By default, it would be backup Vernand Morency, who gained 434 yards on 96 carries last year; but I presume that the Packers will either fill Green's vacancy in the draft or sign another free agent running back soon.

Best,

Geoff

If you want to pry Michael Turner from the Chargers, it will cost you a 1st round and 3rd round pick. Whether the Chargers are overestimating Turner's value in the FA market (he's restricted) or just "guaranteeing he stays in SD as LT's backup" as they claim is a topic of debate among the fans.

If you want to pry Michael Turner from the Chargers, it will cost you a 1st round and 3rd round pick. Whether the Chargers are overestimating Turner's value in the FA market (he's restricted) or just "guaranteeing he stays in SD as LT's backup" as they claim is a topic of debate among the fans.

I understand the Chargers wanting to keep Turner who seems to be versatile. OTOH, playing behind LT limits his opportunities. Catch 22.

Corey Dillon is a free agent. I would not be surprised if the Packers picked him up. :cool:

PD

I could see Dillon with a few teams. Baltimore also comes to mind as they have a slot to fill for the short term..

Wow, that brings up Jamal Lewis. Either the Ravens will try to get him back at a reduced salary and/or the Packers and Bills could be in the hunt his services.

Looks like the Bills want to unload Willis McGahee. He hasn't been happy since arriving there. :rolleyes:

With Chris Brown also out there, RB free agency is not that bad all things considered. :cool:

PD

Archived