Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

My vote is for no more games in outside stadiums. There are so many modern stadiums that are under roof. All the rain detracted from the game. In 2007, there's no need for the NFL to use crappy old stadiums.

Mike T.

Sorry, Mike, I couldn't disagree more.

I believe that football should be about battling the elements as well as the opposing team. I loved the rain, and I only wish that the NFL would stop having all of the Super Bowls in southern states.

The battle of the elements is one of the things that distinguishes football from basketball or baseball. I LOVE it! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. That is real football... playing in crappy weather. That having been said, it made for a sloppy game and a kind of crappy viewing experience. But I agree with Geoff: that's a great situation for the tradition of football.

2. It's more important for the NFL to choose good Super Bowl cities than it is to pick domed stadiums. Miami has always been a good Super Bowl city. And to consider that it's only rained this one time in 41 years of playing, I think they're doing alright percentage-wise.

All in all, it was at least a more interesting SB than many we've seen in the past. I will miss football season, though. I'm missing it already. :(

Ah well, time to make more music. :)

- Jeff

Well, congrats to you kanker.

What lost that game for the Bears was their lack of third down defense. Those passes underneath coverage were what kept Peyton on the field all day.

Offensively it didn't help that our power back was knocked out on his second carry. With a lame running game the onus was on Rex..... no so great a day for him.

Well, I guess like every one else said 2 or 3 weeks ago.... there's always next year.

I'm gonna watch some golf or write a blues tune... :cry:

I have to agree, the Super Bowl should not be confined to a domed stadium in order to avoid the elements.

However, from a marketing standpoint, that probably accounts for the tradition of playing it in southern states and/or domed stadiums. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Guys:

I have less of a problem with the NFL playing games were the elements are a factor, and more of a problem with the way the rain spoiled the viewing and made the ball difficult to handle. It made the game crappier. I think for the NFL's biggest event of the year, it should be in a stadium where the half time show doesn't get ruined. But its ok for you guys to disagree with me, that never bothered me before.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think for the NFL's biggest event of the year, it should be in a stadium where the half time show doesn't get ruined.

I see your point there, Mike. I guess another Ice Bowl wouldn't be too good for a singer's voice.

So, I guess the biggest Super Bowl controversy this year was the rain. Quite a difference from last year, when we debated the officiating for dozens of posts.

Three post-bowl questions:

1) Now that he finally has a Super Bowl ring, will Tony Dungy retire before next season?

2) Will Rex Grossman be the starting quarterback for the Bears next year?

3) Will the Colts or the Bears make the playoffs next year?

Best,

Geoff

1. Dungy has announced his return for next year. I don't see him going back on his word... this isn't Nick Saban we're talking about.

2. Sexy Rexy probably will return. If it were my team, I'd take all three of those guys (Grossman, Griese and Orton), package them up and ship them to Siberia, then trade something else for one of the two outstanding QBs entering the draft this coming year. Chicago won't really have that option, so they'll stick with Rex as the better of the evils.

3. The Colts and Bears will both make the playoffs. Neither will be in the Super Bowl, though.

- Jeff

1. Dungy has announced his return for next year. I don't see him going back on his word...

Sorry, Jeff, I guess I missed that announcement. A couple of hours ago on ESPN, they made it seem as if he were still weighing his options. (Related story)

Best,

Geoff

Football Fans its that Time - Superbowl and time for your predictions

My prediction

Chicago 34 Indy 19

Here's to hoping I'm wrong :thu:

You know I was thinking. Some handicapers make millions of dollars giving out their advice. I realized I can do the exact same thing, well sorta of anyway. I have been so bad with my predictions that I people could pay me to get my picks but instead of taking my advice, they would do the exact opposite. I could really be onto something here. :thu: :grin:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Congrats to new Hall of Fame members:

• Wide receiver Michael Irvin
  • Running back Thurman Thomas
  • Offensive lineman Bruce Matthews
  • Defensive back Roger Wehrli
  • Tight end Charlie Sanders
  • Guard Gene Hickerson

Best,

Geoff

No way in hell Mike Irvin should have gotten in before Art Monk. That's a travesty.

I am normally a believer in defense winning championships, but as has been documented earlier in this thread, I said that Rex Grossman's turnovers would help decide the game in favor of the Colts. Nothing negates a good defense like your own QB coughing up the ball (TWO fumbles off a mishandled snap in a row???).

The Colts defense deserves a lot of credit as well. They've come up huge time and time again in these playoffs. They did give up over 100 rushing yds to da Bears, but their pass defense really stepped it up. Yes, Rex's miscues helped, but Bears WRs and their dangerous TE Desmond Clark were well covered throughout most of the game. There was only a play or two where Berrian was in position for a quick TD strike if Rex had only been able to get the ball to him, but Rex missed him badly.

Dungy looks a little young to me for retirement, but the Lombardi is a sweet cherry atop an outstanding coaching career. I have no feelings either way concerning Peyton, but as I've said before I am a big Tony Dungy fan and am very happy for him. I also have a newfound respect for Lovie Smith as a coach and wouldn't mind seeing him walk away with a Lombardi of his own, if its in a year where the Chargers don't make the Superbowl of course. ;)

Congrats to kanker and other Colts fans!

I have to note (now that the Gov mentioned the Bears 100+ rushing yards), that the Colts were playing their second string defensive line for some of the 4th quarter.

Props to rookie O lineman Charlie Johnson for the solid job he did in relief of Ryan Diem who went out early in the game with an injury.

Also, anyone notice that play where Peyton turned into an option quarterback?

Who'da thunk?

I went to the dome earlier today for the rally. Man, just unreal. It did suck to wait for an hour, outside, in 10 degree weather, in the shade, to get in, then wait for about 3 and 1/2 hours or so for the team to get there, but it was worth it.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Art Monk definitely should have made the HOF by now. It is sad.

I didn't even consider Dungy retiring at this point. I imagined he'd come back for at least one more year.

Will the Colts defense get chopped up by free agency?

Da Bears will probably try to stay with Rex for another season unless they can land a serious vet during the off-season.

kanker, glad you were able to attend the celebration. Thanks for the on-site pic. KC football roving photographer. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dungy was not condsidering retiring becuase he is tired of football. His life's goal is to start a ministry and use his fame as a vehicle to help the underprivileged.

You have to give a man credit for thinking of walking away from a multi-million dollar job at the top of his game just to help others.

Tony is #1 in my book.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Congrats to new Hall of Fame members:

• Wide receiver Michael Irvin
  • Running back Thurman Thomas
  • Offensive lineman Bruce Matthews
  • Defensive back Roger Wehrli
  • Tight end Charlie Sanders
  • Guard Gene Hickerson

Best,

Geoff

No way in hell Mike Irvin should have gotten in before Art Monk. That's a travesty.

Michael Irvin was a whiny, spoiled, delusional idiot, while

Art Monk was a class act on and off the field.

Character traits should be considered to some degree when it comes to the Hall of Fame.

I have to note (now that the Gov mentioned the Bears 100+ rushing yards), that the Colts were playing their second string defensive line for some of the 4th quarter.

ALL of the modest Bears offensive stat line in the game is bloated by what they tacked on late in the fourth. The Colts D was nothing short of dominant. In the space between The Thomas Jones 52-yard run and the mini FG drive that followed the unsportsmanlike hit on the kickoff, the Bears offense did NADA -- not a single first down. Look at disparity in plays and relaize that sizable chunk of the Bears came with the colts in a prevent and the outcome forgone.

But here's what gets me. In the heart of the game, when it mattered, 23 of 24 consecutive offensive plays were run by the Colts. 23 of 24! That's every bit as much the fault of the Bears D as it is their butterfingered young QB. In fact, anyone who is "defending" the Bears defense this week is not being objective. They were physically dominated on both sides of the ball.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

the unsportsmanlike hit on the kickoff
Man, what a dumb thing to do. You have to use a little more sense when tackling. Of course, that's easy to say when you're a keyboard player.

One other thing that really blew me away and left me a bit dumbfounded. It's the end of the first half, the Colts are going to kick a field goal, there's over 30 seconds left of the clock, and the Bears, who have the most dominant return man in the league, do NOT call a time out. Even with Indy kicking away from Hester, you end up on at LEAST the Bears 35 with 30 seconds and 2 time outs. Horrible clock management.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

ALL of the modest Bears offensive stat line in the game is bloated by what they tacked on late in the fourth. The Colts D was nothing short of dominant. In the space between The Thomas Jones 52-yard run and the mini FG drive that followed the unsportsmanlike hit on the kickoff, the Bears offense did NADA -- not a single first down. Look at disparity in plays and relaize that sizable chunk of the Bears came with the colts in a prevent and the outcome forgone.

Good points. A sizeable chunk of the Bears' rushing yds were off that one Jones run.

The Colts D-line was impressive in stepping up despite the absence of BOTH starting DTs. I attributed that infamous Jaguars game to Corey Simon and Montae Reagor being out of the lineup, and wasn't surprised everyone expected the Chiefs, Ravens, and Patriots to run all over them. I initially gave more "credit" to the offensive incompetence of the Chiefs and Ravens than the Colts defense, but the consistency of the Colts D over the course of the playoffs cannot be denied.

The Bears D was also missing players, especially their best run-stuffing DT, but the Colts D simply proved to be the more resilient group.

Consider this: as good as the Bears were, they were just 2-2 against the AFC. They were 2-3, if you count the Super Bowl.

They went undefeated in the NFC though -- that is until the Packers beat them in the last game of the season, a meaningless contest for the Bears who would be the #1 seed regardless of the outcome.

Just more evidence (as if more were needed) that the AFC is the better conference.

I only hope in this age of greater parity that this disparity will even out soon. We don't need an AFC Super Bowl streak that surpasses the NFC's 13-game winning streak of the '80s and '90s.

Best,

Geoff

Some final SB thoughts--

I've mentioned this before, but it can't be forgotten that the Colts run stopping ability came at about the same time that 'Booger' McFarland arrived from the Bucs. He's been a huge addition to say the least.

When talking about the Bears in this game.. Everyone mentions stats, rushing yards, Colts D, Thomas Jones run, etc etc. NOTHING stands out as important as the fact that in a game heavy in turnovers, the Bears were grossly inefficient at QB which cost them the game. A better QB(or maybe a more experienced Grossman) would have most likely made the difference. The poor exchange's, the picks and missing wide open reciever's for TD's etc. Lot's of bad things from one position..the most important position.

Ultimately, this kept the Bears off the field, and the Colts-O on the field all night.. Even when the Colts turned the ball over, they'd get it right back on Rex's bad plays. The bottom line is, as Phil Simms mentioned, the Bears Defense was exhausted by the 2nd quarter. And they weren't going to get rested by the 2nd half especially if there offense wasn't sustaining drives in the 3rd quarter. This meant more, or as much to the outcome as there missing starters did.

That said, the Bears D, while being on the field for 80% of the game, held the Colts to a 1 possesion game for most of the contest, all they way up to the 4th quarter Grossman pick to Hayden, which sealed it. They did as well as any other D could have under those circumstances.

This isn't a detraction from the Colts, they won fair and square(far cry from last year). They made the plays, Manning played great after his one error, they ran the ball, and stopped the run & pass effectively. They earned and deserve there superbowl title without question.

Another congrats goes out to coach Dungy, maybe the finest gentleman in sports today. I'm glad he decided to stay in coaching for a little while longer and delay starting his "mission" in prison ministries. I wish I could have just one 30 minute conversation with Tony. It would probably be life affecting, it has been for many. Here's to you sir!

TROLL . . . ish.

More than likely I will watch the Pro Bowl. I am surprised by the number of drop-outs.

What do you all think Wade Phillips can do with the Cowboys?

The way Norv was buddied up with Jerry, I thought he had the job locked up. :cool:

PD

More than likely I will watch the Pro Bowl. I am surprised by the number of drop-outs.

What do you all think Wade Phillips can do with the Cowboys?

The way Norv was buddied up with Jerry, I thought he had the job locked up. :cool:

I will watch the pro bowl becuase its football.

Wade Phillips is in a bad situation in Dallas. What kind of half ass situation is this? You hire the coordinators before you hire the coach and one of your coordinators is going to be your head coach in the next two years? This situation has doom written all over it. Norv is not stupid. He's not going to take that situation unless they pay him some ridiculous sum of money. If was a fan of the cowboys I would be furious at this situation. Since I hate them with a passion this is great :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

The Probowl will be interesting.. but not neccesarily because of the game itself.

For one you have Shawne Merriman on the same team with Jason Taylor who spoke out about Merriman's steriods test and how Shawne should not be allowed to play in this game. I wonder how that 1st locker room meeting will go?

In another case you have Bill Belichek coaching the AFC and L.T. who had the infamous comment that the Patriots "showed no class, and maybe that comes from the head coach." Which now seems to be a non-issue for them.

Phillip Rivers drops out because of his foot problems. He's mentioned that if they had won there last game he wouldn't have been able to play in the Championship round. It would have been interesting to see how that developed. I wonder if Vince Young gets to play nowbecause of the injury?

Will I watch? Eh, probably off and on.

TROLL . . . ish.

The Probowl will be interesting.. but not neccesarily because of the game itself.

For one you have Shawne Merriman on the same team with Jason Taylor who spoke out about Merriman's steriods test and how Shawne should not be allowed to play in this game. I wonder how that 1st locker room meeting will go?

In another case you have Bill Belichek coaching the AFC and L.T. who had the infamous comment that the Patriots "showed no class, and maybe that comes from the head coach." Which now seems to be a non-issue for them.

The San Diego Union-Tribune also had an article on how Taylor and Merriman are getting along, as well as LT and Belicheck:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070207-9999-1s7chargers.html

They also published this article more specifically about LT and Belichick:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070206-1534-fbn-probowl-afcfeuds.html

Archived