Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Dood, you're far from a schmuck!

I am what you call an antagonist...

Originally posted by daBowsa:

All I've heard out of the Pats is "they made more plays than we did, they deserved to win."

Please don't take my nit-picking of the refs as any reflection of the Patriots. Defintely don't compare my post-game comments to Joe Torre, I'm just a schmuck.

Patriots Postgame Quotes

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a point, Magpel, Joe Torre is a class act. But how many Yankees fans followed his lead after that WS? As someone who watched that game WITH Yankees fans, I can tell you firsthand: none that I could tell. Plus, that's apples and oranges because that situation had nothing to do with blown calls by the umpires.

I wouldn't expect the Patriots to bitch about the calls. If they did I'd lose respect for them. That's what us fans are for.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Who would make a good coach in Dallas (not that I care)? :D

Jon Gruden!

His claim to fame is taking a team on the cusp (i.e. Bucs) and getting the over the hump to the Super Bowl.

Plus he is a high profile coach which suits Jerry Jone's style well.

And as an added bonus the Bucs can get a coach which can stop the downward spiral Gruden has brought to our team.

I just hope the football gods are listening.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by Magpel:

Thats what Id like to see out of the Pats and their fans right now, whove had more breaks than Knievel over the years but tend to act like its all residue of design.

I dont see any Pats fans stating that they lost the game due to bad calls. What I see is fans griping that there were some bad calls in the game. This is not like last years playoffs and Super Bowl where the common theme was how bad the refs were. All of the Pats fans acknowledged the Colts played a great game and congratulated them. We do have the right to bitch and sour grape it a little to help get over the agony.

The real downside to Indy winning is the inevitable plethora of even more Peyton Manning commercials which will be innundating us soon.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Jon Gruden!

His claim to fame is taking a team on the cusp (i.e. Bucs) and getting the over the hump to the Super Bowl.

The Glazers' act of firing Tony Dungy because they thought he'd never get the Bucs into the Superbowl, followed by their sacrifice of draft picks for Gruden is doubly ironic, now that Dungy has finally reached the Superbowl... as the Head Coach of another franchise.

If they had just been more patient, they could have had their Superbowl without giving up those picks! Oh well...

Very happy for Tony, especially after the personal tragedy he had to endure last year in losing his son.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Tonight's game looks to be a nail biter. Even though I am a Pats fan,

I thought you were a Bucs fan?
The Bucs are my #1 team but I grew up in Boston and spent over 30 years there rooting for Babe Parelli, Jim Nance, Steve Grogan, etc. You never stop cheering for the team you spent most of your life following.
Cool. When I lived in Tampa, most of the Bucs fans I knew were transplants from other cities who gradually fell in love with the Bucs as well. Not only because they were a very good team, but also because they had a number of classy guys like Dunn, Alstott, Brooks, etc. and Dungy of course. It would have been too easy for me to give up my Charger allegiance at the height of the Bucs success, seeing as they were making the playoffs regularly while my Chargers were perenially missing them and being a laughingstock of the league. But I just can't let go of the team that was once led by Dan Fouts, Charlier Joiner, Kellen Winslow, etc.

Oh my. Here's a rumor to :freak: over:

The Raiders are preparing to make a run at Michael Vick, according to NFL sources. The Raiders package would include receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter plus the No.1 overall pick in the 2007 draft for Vick and the Falcons first round pick (10th overall).

-- foxsports.com

Found this on si.com rumor page.

Originally posted by antimatter:

The Raiders are preparing to make a run at Michael Vick, according to NFL sources.

While it smells more like a rumor than Vick's chronic bottle, I would not be surprised if the Falcons considered making a move.

Matt Schaub could very well be starting QB material, however, it is Vick who put a**es in the stands.

Arthur Blank as a businessman will look at his options also taking into consideration the thoughts of the new head coach.

It will be interesting to see how this situation develops if at all. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Having been at the Colts/Pats game, I thought that the refs were giving New England more of the benefit of the doubt. I thought they made some horrible calls against the Colts. Regardless, the Pats let the Colts score 32 in the second half, and what more can you say than Scoreboard!

I do have to say that the Pats are one hell of a team, and the fans of theirs that I saw at the game yesterday were pure class - GREAT football fans. I'd also like to give a little love to the people of Indy for making the Pats fans feel welcome enough that even today after a game like that, there were plenty of Pats fans walking around downtown proudly wearing their Pats gear, comfortable that no one was going to give them any extra grief, or make them feel as if they were in any personal danger. I can't say the same thing happened to Colts fans last week in Baltimore.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by kanker.:

I do have to say that the Pats are one hell of a team, and the fans of theirs that I saw at the game yesterday were pure class - GREAT football fans. I'd also like to give a little love to the people of Indy for making the Pats fans feel welcome enough that even today after a game like that, there were plenty of Pats fans walking around downtown proudly wearing their Pats gear, comfortable that no one was going to give them any extra grief, or make them feel as if they were in any personal danger. I can't say the same thing happened to Colts fans last week in Baltimore.

Well, those are dramatically different circumstances though, aren't they? I mean, Baltimore worshipped the Colts and then lost them when Robert Irsay snuck them out of town to Indianapolis. As a former Los Angeles Rams fan, I can certainly understand what a bitterness Baltimore fans must still have. An Indy fan walking into Baltimore with a Colts jersey must seem to them like someone who stole your car driving it around your neighborhood in front of your house.

Now don't get me wrong I don't condone violence at all! But I get their anger.

Nonetheless, congratulations on the Colts' victory. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Jon Gruden!

Plus he is a high profile coach which suits Jerry Jone's style well.

And as an added bonus the Bucs can get a coach which can stop the downward spiral Gruden has brought to our team.

I just hope the football gods are listening.

This makes a lot of sense. I could see Chuckie in Dallas.

If the timing had worked out differently, Dallas might have gotten Whisenhunt. Ken would have been a good mentor for Tony Romo. C'est la vie!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

My takes on the Indy-Baltimore-Cleveland "love triangle":

The citizens of those 3 cities shouldn't be blamed for the actions of the team owners. All NFL fans are at the mercy of the owners.

Art Modell showed more class than Robert Irsay, in surrendering the team colors, logo, history, etc. of the Browns and thus converting his team into the "expansion" Ravens. Irsay reportedly demanded a ridiculous sum to "sell" the Colts colors, unis, etc. back to Baltimore.

Lenny Moore, Johnny Unitas, and other Baltimore-era greats should not be listed at Indianapolis Colts in the Hall of Fame! This is one very sore point with Baltimore football fans and I can't blame them.

The citizens of those 3 cities shouldn't be blamed for the actions of the team owners. All NFL fans are at the mercy of the owners.

Very true, Governor Silver. I'll add that the good residents of Indianapolis deserve to have their own franchise, and they didn't ask Robert Irsay to sneak the team out of Baltimore they way he did.

Art Modell showed more class than Robert Irsay, in surrendering the team colors, logo, history, etc. of the Browns and thus converting his team into the "expansion" Ravens.

Frankly, I wish each city retained the rights to each team name this way; but that's another topic.

All I'm trying to express is that an Indianapolis Colts uniform dredges up a powerful set of emotions in Baltimore that doesn't exist in Indianapolis against New England.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I was definitely not impressed with the way Brady and Belichick specifically behaved on the field after the game.

As to calls in the game, I do believe there were a couple of really crucial calls that went Indy's way that really changed the outcome - not the least of which being two non-calls on interference in the endzone by Indy defenders.

Ultimately, though, the Pats D failed them when they needed to step up. 32 points in a half is inexcusable for this squad.

Hey Scott:

Keep in mind that the Colts went to a no huddle offense after they were down 21-3. It started taking its toll in the second half. The Pats defense was tired, they had no chance to substitute like they did in the first half. AND, they a flu bug going through the locker room the week of the game.

As a Steeler fan, far be it from me to make "excuses" for the New England Patriots, but in my mind, they have nothing to be ashamed of, and they're a better team than I thought they were, even with the changes to the line up over the last few years.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

All I'm trying to express is that an Indianapolis Colts uniform dredges up a powerful set of emotions in Baltimore that doesn't exist in Indianapolis against New England.

At the same time, they were only in Baltimore 30 years. They've been here 23 or 24. Baltimore needs to get over it.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by Magpel:

They picked up a goddamned flag in the endzone as courtesy to the royal Pats, when clearly the Pats corner had stepped on the back of Wayne's leg before he fell.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/passinterference

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

Picking up that flag was exactly the correct call.

Originally posted by kanker.:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

At the same time, they were only in Baltimore 30 years. They've been here 23 or 24. Baltimore needs to get over it.
It would help if the Hall of Fame would stop listing Unitas, Moore, etc. as Indianapolis players, as if they played for Indianapolis and not Baltimore. Simply create a section for Baltimore-era Colts greats. How hard is that?

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

Picking up that flag was exactly the correct call.
I am well aware of the rule. In my opinion, when a beat corner steps on the back of a receiver's leg, that doesn't constitute inadvertent tangling of feet. The official who overuled the flag thrower was at the back of the endzone, shielded from what was going on at foot level behind Wayne. The link to the rule book settles nothing. A link to a clip of the play might. Inadvertency is a pure judgment call.

In any case, ahem, all perfunctorily magnanimous gestures aside, it was the refs after all who cost the Pats this game...

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Hey Scott:

Keep in mind that the Colts went to a no huddle offense after they were down 21-3. It started taking its toll in the second half. The Pats defense was tired, they had no chance to substitute like they did in the first half. AND, they a flu bug going through the locker room the week of the game.

Mike T.

Mike these are good points. Whne I played high school football (shades of Al Bundy Greatness) I played with the Flu during one game. It was one of the hardest things for me. I had under half my normal energy and my body simply didn't respond, in terms of reaction time, the way I wanted and expected it to. In the 4th quarter of the game I had no energy and thought I was going to pass out. Fortunately our offense sustained a long drive or I would have been done for.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Hey Scott:

Mike T.

Mike these are good points. Whne I played high school football (shades of Al Bundy Greatness) I played with the Flu during one game. It was one of the hardest things for me. I had under half my normal energy and my body simply didn't respond, in terms of reaction time, the way I wanted and expected it to. In the 4th quarter of the game I had no energy and thought I was going to pass out. Fortunately our offense sustained a long drive or I would have been done for.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I am well aware of the rule. In my opinion, when a beat corner steps on the back of a receiver's leg, that doesn't constitute inadvertent tangling of feet. The official who overuled the flag thrower was at the back of the endzone, shielded from what was going on at foot level behind Wayne. The link to the rule book settles nothing. A link to a clip of the play might. Inadvertency is a pure judgment call.

In any case, ahem, all perfunctorily magnanimous gestures aside, it was the refs after all who cost the Pats this game...

1) Yes, Inadvertency is a pure judgement call. I completely disagree with your judgement on this matter, and am thankful you weren't the referee on the field.

2) I fail to see any example of a Pats fan on this thread complaining that the officials cost the Pats the game.

It was a hard-fought battle, and the Pats D wore out too quickly. Why that happened? Irrelevant, AFAIC. The tide-turner in the first half, that offensive pass interference call against Troy Brown? That was a good call. No complaints about it. Were it not for that penalty, the Pats likely would have scored again and slammed the door shut on the Colts right there. Was it the ref's fault? Nope. It was Troy Brown's fault for trying to set the pick. I thought the non-call on Indy (pass interference in the end zone) during the last Pats scoring drive was a bit questionable, but I don't think it "cost the Pats the game". Indy made more plays when they had to, that's all there is to it.

I understand you're trying to be an antagonist, and I know you hate the Pats, but please, at least stick to the realm of reality with your criticism...

[quote=Griffinator

2) I fail to see any example of a Pats fan on this thread complaining that the officials cost the Pats the game.

It's not hard to find. Here, for example, is you saying it and then promptly un-saying it, which is not the same thing as not saying it at all! Perhaps the last thing you say is your official stance, the first what you truly feel?

[quote=Griffinator

As to calls in the game, I do believe there were a couple of really crucial calls that went Indy's way that really changed the outcome...

Ultimately, though, the Pats D failed them when they needed to step up. 32 points in a half is inexcusable for this squad.

If you really feel the calls "changed the outcome of the game," then there's no need to "man up" with all the standard rhetoric of team accountability. So you feel a couple of critical calls cost the Pats a game they would have had had the calls been correctly made, regardless of how poorly the D played or that Brown turned in instead of out on 3rd and 5. That's fine. I hear more outlandish opnions every day. But at least own the opinion.

Archived