Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Not a great week in the league, but doable..lots of trap games.

I must say I was surprized Brady was the one choking last night. Weird. It has to be said, yesterday was the day of the backup QB: Huard, Harrington, and Gerrard all did there thing. We may be seeing more of those 3 guys than we think.

Looks like the Bears, Falcons & Giants all fell into those trap games yesterday. Only the Giants manage to wrangle out a win. The Giants and Bears obviously caught looking ahead to there matchup next weekend and got caught sleeping. Yes that Bears loss rigs a bell.. against Miami, while undefeated, it does remind me of another team back in th mid eighties that.....oh hell nevermind.

Yes TJ "who's ya mamma", that WAS interference on that last drive when Palmer tried to zip you that crossing pattern with just over a minute left in reg. Only problem was, at regular speed it looked like a legal, well timed hit. Only in slow-mo was that (non)penalty apparent. Don't worry, you'll see Baltimore again.

This just in from CBS sports: apparently the Jags have just scored another TD on the Titans. :D

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geoff,

Thanks for the continued recognition of my Chargers. We had our own bizarre game, but no doubt it went unnoticed because the game was out on the West Coast, and it was against an unglamorous opponent in the Browns. We had an uncharacteristic 12 penalties for 113 yards - some of which was bad officiating, but many where just from lack of focus. Our defense was already missing our top 2 pass rushers, and lost 3 more to injury for at least half the game. Our offense was out of sync and LT was contained for 3 quarters. Despite the adversity, our skeleton crew defense allowed only 1 TD, scored another on its own, and LT busted out a couple of huge runs to finish with 172 yds, 2 TDs.

Hopefully, we'll be more focused for the upcoming matchup at Cincy. Merriman will be in his 2nd week of suspension, but Phillips should be back.

As long as the Packers have Favre, they can't be counted out.

I saw TO apologized for the dropped passes, but not for the "taking a nap on the ball" TD celebration that cost his team a 15-yard penalty.

The Pats fought hard against the Colts, but you can't beat the Colts with 4 turnovers. The Chargers last year almost gave the game away with 2 picks that were quickly converted to TDs. We had to wait for the big Michael Turner run to finally sealed the deal.

I was surprised how effortlessly Ronnie Brown sliced that Bears run defense, which had been dominant up until that game. We'll see how Tiki does against them next week. Jason Taylor played out of his mind - that's got to be one of the most athletic INTs by a DE I've seen.

So tonight, my mostly harmless Raiders have a bona fide chance to do something mildly interesting: beat both of last year's Super Bowl participants in consecutive weeks.

I mean, I doubt it'll happen... I picked Seattle in the Pick 'Em pool. I'm not a fool. But Seattle's playing without Hasselbeck or Alexander, so if it was ever gonna happen, it'd be now. Both of their backups, though, are pretty good: Maurice Morris at RB and Seneca Wallace at QB. We'll find out tonight either way, I suppose. It would be funny if they won: they'd still be the worst 3-5 team I've ever seen.

I liked Sapp's comment on the issue of playing versus Seattle's backups: "It's not like we're playing FAMU or anything." :D

- Jeff

The Chargers are an interesting team. They have the ability to play with anyine and have great balance yet I could see them missing the playoffs all together like last year. Personally I thnk the sting of last year is driving them in some ways. The loss of Merriman over the next few games is going to hurt them on the D side of the ball. They are a team that I don't think anyone wants to play come playoff time.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Griffinator:

The flag was for spiking it AT someone - namely, Asante Samuel, the DB who had been harassing him all night...

There were a number of far more questionable flags thrown that game. Troy Brown gets it for taunting because he tossed the ball back towards the official and a Colt player steps in the way?

Marvin didn't spike that at anyone - spiking the ball alone is beyond out of character for Marvin. The flag was a makeup call for the Troy Brown penalty. From the Boston Herald
Brown was flagged for taunting following the record-tying reception in the first quarter. He caught a short pass and flipped the ball toward the sideline, but it hit a Colts defender in the facemask.

The ball boy was asking for the ball. He knew what was up, Brown said. Do you think I would throw the ball at someones head with the referee just standing there? Ive been here for 14 years and thats not me. I explained it to the official at the end of the quarter, and he said if he made a mistake, he apologizes. He made a mistake.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by kanker, apparently:

...spiking the ball alone is beyond out of character for Marvin.

So what exactly the hell was he doing spiking the ball, with two Pats within arm's reach?

You tell me, bro....

Terrell Owens can act like an ass, Chad Johnson can be 'Ocho Cinco', Randy Moss can pull his antics, and 9 times out of 10, nothing happens. Marvin has spiked the ball exactly twice in his career, the other time being after one hell of a first down catch a year or so ago. He has been the pinnacle of class and dignity in the league, unlike the selfish brats I just mentioned. He just made a catch that almost no other receiver could even hope to make and he spiked the ball in celebration. That's once in how many touchdowns?!? Oh yeah - 115. Like I said, I guess for Marvin, that was taunting.

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

So tonight, my mostly harmless Raiders have a bona fide chance to do something mildly interesting: beat both of last year's Super Bowl participants in consecutive weeks.

Or maybe they'll just set a record for most consecutive scoreless minutes on Monday Night Football.

Nice knee to the nuts, by the way. I'm glad to see that the Raiders are still playing true to form.

:P

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Well, based on being shutout in both of there apperances this year, I don't think we'll being seeing the Raiders on MNF next year at all.

Unless of course they draft Brady Quinn that is. :thu:

*Are you hearing me Al Davis?*

TROLL . . . ish.

I truly hope Brady Quinn does not get stuck with the same Raiders O Line.

These millionaire athletes are getting ridiculous with the cheap shots (head stomp and kick balls) and steroids. Just say NO.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

I truly hope Brady Quinn does not get stuck with the same Raiders O Line.

I mean you'd hope not, but Matt Lienhart and Vince Young are certainly taking there lumps this year. There's probably gonna be a nice "welcome to the NFL" party for Quinn also.

He can follow Matt & Vince's remedy for sore ribs, by rubbing thousand dollar bills against the bruised area. :cool:;)

TROLL . . . ish.

Sure there is a learning curve/welcome party upon entering the NFL. The dough certainly eases the pain. ;)

But, at the rate Oakland is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn were to pull an Eli Manning on draft day.

"Hell no, I'm NOT going to THAT team!" :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

That knee to the groin moment would be a great add for a sporting goods company that sells athletic cups.

Or the steroid company whose products diminished 85's manly parts to the point that he just laughed at that devastating hit.

At roughly the midway point of the season, who are your picks for:

1. Best Team

2. Worst Team

3. Biggest Surprise

4. Biggest Disappointment

5. Most improved team

6. Team Most likely to fall apart in the 2nd half

My Picks:

1. Indy

2. Arizona

3. New Orleans

4. Pittsburgh

5. New Orleans/Baltimore

6. St. Louis

- Rush

Warning, I'm a fan of the DVOA-DPAR performance ranking system at http://www.footballoutsiders.com/

1. Bears - I chalk the Dolphins loss as an aberration

2. Tossup between Raiders, Cardinals, Titans. I'll go with the Titans and their league trailing DVOA

3. N'awlins

4. Steelers

5. Saints

6. Chargers - hoping for some reverse karma to kick in, but Merriman serving his suspension for steroid use, numerous injuries to the defense, and the tough half of the schedule (2 games vs. Broncos, game at Cincy, 1 more vs. Chiefs) coming up may all combine for a 2nd half collapse.

Looks good Silver, I'll play...

Best Team-Indy, I like the way there winning, no overblown scoring machine in action. There winning by a small margin most games which means there finding ways to overcome during games..now all they need is a loss to solidify the season. Seriously. The only thing that hurt them more than the death of the coaches son last year, was this undefeated season talk. If they lose 1 or 2 games soon, they can then concentrate on a strong finish as oppossed to resting, and have momentum for the playoffs.

Worst Team- (tie) Miami & Oakland. Nothing reaks worst this year than Sabin choosing Culpepper over Brees, except the choice Art Shell has made for OC.

Biggest Surprize- Saints, I'm 100% sold on coach Sean Peyton!

Biggest Dissapointment- Dallas, T.O. has meant nothing to them this year.

Most Improved- 1)Saints. 2) Ravens

2nd Half Fall Apart- Dallas, there finished! If Brian Urlacher is going to miss games due to this injury, then you can substitute The Bears here. The last time he was out of the lineup the Bears lost 5 straight games.

Just for fun I took a peek at my preseason predictions.. Few errors in judgement, but not too bad I must say--

Originally posted by meccajay:

My guesses -

*Spoilers but no playoffs: Cardinals, Browns, Vikings, Packers.

*Possible surprize playoff teams: Ravens, Chargers, Falcons, Iggles.

*Status Quo or slightly below: Tampa Bay, Seattle, Chicago, Washington, Indy, Cincy, Pittsburgh.

*Big Bad Wolves: Denver, Jacksonville, Giants, Carolina.

**Subject to being edited & updated every half hour for the entire NFL season.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Seems a lot of people are jumping off the Bears bandwagon.

ONLY if Urlacher is gone for extended games because of his foot injury, judging by what happened to them the last time he was gone...

Urlacher is there "Steve Smith".

TROLL . . . ish.

1. Best Team

Colts - ask me this question again when the playoffs start. ;)

2. Worst Team

Raiders - 2 shutouts on MNF? How did they even get one game on MNF?

3. Biggest Surprise

Bears

4. Biggest Disappointment

Bengals - total meltdown

5. Most improved team

Saints

6. Team Most likely to fall apart in the 2nd half

Jaguars - Jack Del Rio and the Jags are punks. Florida's answer to the class act that is the Raiders. :rolleyes:

1. Best Team: with consecutive wins over Den and and NE, you sorta have to say it's the, though, like everyone else, I have yet to be convinced that there's any difference between this team and the last few Colts teams.

2. Worst Team: It's hard for me to believe that a Jeff Fisher team deserves this, but...

3.Biggest Surprise: Saints, with honorable mention the Chiefs.

4. Biggest Disappontment: Steelers. Come on.

5. Most Improved: Saints, of course.

6. Most Likely to Fall Apart: Ummm, Saints.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by meccajay:

Seems a lot of people are jumping off the Bears bandwagon.

ONLY if Urlacher is gone for extended games because of his foot injury, judging by what happened to them the last time he was gone...

Urlacher is there "Steve Smith".

I agree about how important Urlacher is to the Bears. When the Cardinals played the Bears, their defensive coordinator, Clancy Pendergast, devised a defensive plan which teams are emulating to stop them. I saw the game they played against the Dolphins and the Dolphins were running the same Defensive scheme. I think the Bears need to adapt as they will be seeing it until they figure it out.

- Rush

Originally posted by antimatter:

The injury bug is riding the Giants big time.

Amani Toomer out for the season. :(

Argh ARGH! ARGH! This is so big. Toomer, not Burress, is the Giants' best receiver. Burress makes big plays and is a security blanket for Eli, but Toomer is the veteran crafty receiver, the possession receiver who still has some big plays in him as well, and he's been quietly having a terrific season. He's a also a decent bloke late in his career, and I feel bad for him. Early in his career, he had the dropsies in a big way and, like Tiki, he really set himself right with hard work and became an ultra reliable fixture in that offense.

The ever-underproductive Tim Carter is going to have to step up, at last. Number 15, Jennings, too. David Tyree?? Eeek. And it is time for Shockey to earn his reputation. Boy there are some occasions when I wish we still had Ike Hilliard.

I find this very disappointing. With the defence already decimated, it is up to the offense to carry this team for a while. This one hurts.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The 49ers are saying their going to move to another city in California, possibly Santa Clara which is about an hour away from SF minus traffic. If they move here I'd be ok with it since its still in the Bay Area. Do you think this is a ploy to force the city of SF into action?

If they move outside of the Bay Area I will be extremely upset :mad::mad::mad: If they move to LA or anywhere in the surrounding LA area I will disown them.

- Rush

The season may come down to a battle of attrition. Who can stay the healthiest.

Indeed. Some Charger fans are worried about the Bengals (we'd worry about them, regardless!) because they're going into Cincy with injury problems on defense and Merriman in his 2nd week of suspension. But the Bengals "counter" with offensive line injury problems of their own.

The Toomer injury sucks for the Giants. I was thinking of picking him up in fantasy football last week, actually. I have Shockey and maybe he'll get more touches as a result.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Do you think this is a ploy to force the city of SF into action?

I thought about this, but I believe they mean business. I think that they very well could move to Santa Clara.

If they move to LA or anywhere in the surrounding LA area I will disown them.
The LA 49ers of San Francisco? :D

- Jeff

Archived