Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

I don't wnat to take anything away from Jacksonville's great defensive performance, but I thought Rothelsberger didn't look right last night. He was a bit off to me. I wonder how much/ if any pain he was playing through? I wonder how he was doing on the mental side of things?

The teams that have success against Pittsburgh and beat them all stop the run against them. Easier said than done but do you think this is the game plan teams have against the Steelers?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

Got my PM reminder from Geoff to check in on this thread, as the sole Charger rep on this forum. Thanks, Geoff!

We get the Steelers in Oct. and will definitely look to stop the run, but that's always been the Chargers' defensive philosophy - stop the run first. We've struggled to stop Bettis, but now he is retired. :) We also let Big Ben lead a come-from-behind win over us due to our terrible pass defense. The addition of Marlon McCree at FS has brought much needed leadership and confidence to that formerly maligned secondary.

But first, we'll be using our early bye to get Igor and Keenan rested, then we take on the Ravens. They gave us a decent beating last time (in 2003 - when we were one of the worst teams out there, without a Gates or a Merriman or you-name-it). Hopefully we'll make this more interesting this time around.

I don't get the Titans either, as far as letting Volek go to us and essentially replacing him as a starter with Collins.

I caught a bit of Reggie Bush's first game as a Saint and was impressed. They appear to be using him as a hybrid RB/WR, often with McAllister lining up in the backfield at the same time. Very effective, especially with their new young vet QB Brees feeding them the ball.

The Redskins' problem, I believe, is lack of continuity. They keep bringing guys in and out of the system. The Chargers have made it a point to keep as many guys together as possible - we've locked up the majority of our offensive line, our linebackers, our d-line, etc. under contract. It's starting to show in our improved defensive play, though I do understand they won't be tested until we play an offensive powerhouse.

Here's a feel-good story for ya:

Saints Sell Out Superdome Season Tickets

It is the first time in the history of the franchise, founded in 1967, that every available seat is owned by a season ticket holder.

:thu:

- Jeff

Good story indeed Jeff!

Speaking of which, I don't think folks realize the magnitude of this Monday nights game. If you're not in the south, you may not realize that the Saint vs Falcons is a HUGE rivalry all by itself. Add to that the fact that both teams are 2-0, and one of those teams is sporting the incredible Mr Bushy an a new, very competent QB. Consider that, and you have a great game ahead.

Now take that great game, and add to that the otherworldly press build up to this game(there are reports of 1,000 press credentials being given out). Then add the significance of this teams return to the City of N.O., and the rebirth of the stadium were citizens died inside just a year ago, and the celebrations marking this event, which include Green Day & U2.

Now what you have is a Superbowl on a Monday in September.

TROLL . . . ish.

About the debacle in Jacksonville on MNF.

Steelers couldn't run the ball, Jacksonville covered our receivers like blankets, we couldn't cover their TALL receivers (6'4". 6'3" 6'?") with our smaller defensive backs. Ben may not have been ready, but NO EXCUSES, if he wasn't ready, he should have sat, at least for the first half. He didn't look sharp at all, overthrowing receivers and telegraphing passes, so he got picked off twice. The only good thing about that game was we managed to keep them out of the endzone.

Jacksonville outplayed us in every department. If we play like that against the Bengals on Sunday, we'll get more of the same. :(

Mike T.

Black and Gold 'til I'm dead and cold.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Hey everyone,

Got my PM reminder from Geoff to check in on this thread, as the sole Charger rep on this forum. Thanks, Geoff!

It's good to see you're back, GovernorSilver. I'm glad you got my PM. :wave:

We get the Steelers in Oct. and will definitely look to stop the run, but that's always been the Chargers' defensive philosophy - stop the run first. We've struggled to stop Bettis, but now he is retired. :) We also let Big Ben lead a come-from-behind win over us due to our terrible pass defense. The addition of Marlon McCree at FS has brought much needed leadership and confidence to that formerly maligned secondary.

As long as the Chargers' defensive rush keeps sacking quarterbacks, you don't need a great secondary the plays are over before the receivers can go deep! :D

The Chargers have made it a point to keep as many guys together as possible - we've locked up the majority of our offensive line, our linebackers, our d-line, etc. under contract. It's starting to show in our improved defensive play, though I do understand they won't be tested until we play an offensive powerhouse.

Good point. Baltimore should provide a worthwhile test.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by meccajay:

Good story indeed Jeff!

Speaking of which, I don't think folks realize the magnitude of this Monday nights game. If you're not in the south, you may not realize that the Saint vs Falcons is a HUGE rivalry all by itself. Add to that the fact that both teams are 2-0, and one of those teams is sporting the incredible Mr Bushy an a new, very competent QB. Consider that, and you have a great game ahead.

Now take that great game, and add to that the otherworldly press build up to this game(there are reports of 1,000 press credentials being given out). Then add the significance of this teams return to the City of N.O., and the rebirth of the stadium were citizens died inside just a year ago, and the celebrations marking this event, which include Green Day & U2.

Now what you have is a Superbowl on a Monday in September.

Well put, meccajay.

Personally, I'd hate to be a player on the Falcons next week I'd feel bad if I lost and guilty if I won!

Who doesn't want the city of New Orleans to have every possible advantage right now?

Best,

Geoff

This memo just arrived on my desk.

TERROR ALERT IN OAKLAND!

Oakland Raiders football practice was delayed nearly two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field. Head coach Art Shell immediately suspended practice and called the police and federal investigators. After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the white substance unknown to players was the GOAL LINE. Practice resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

(i don't know who wrote this, but i'm just passing it along)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Wow 4:12 left in the first quarter and the Seahawks are already up 21-0 against the Giants! I don't think New York is going to make a comeback this week.

The Seahawks sure aren't behaving like typical Super Bowl losers. Then again, maybe they shouldn't have lost.

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Wow 4:12 left in the first quarter and the Seahawks are already up 21-0 against the Giants! I don't think New York is going to make a comeback this week.

Utter and total and complete and utter domination, humiliation, and devastation. And it is not even halftime yet.

Seahwks look great, but for the most disturbing things is the regularity of blown coverages by the Giants. Happened all last week too. Absolute bush league stuff. Wow.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Boy, I thought the Giants would come out sky high after last weeks win. Seattle looked scary. They just toyed with the Giants defense. They looked as though they could score at will.

On another sad note, Jon Gruden is giving Art Shell a run for the money in worst coach of the year award. :mad:

Bucs have the lead and the ball with 1:47 left. If they run a play and then let the .45 second clock run down they give the ball back with about 50 seconds. Instead he goes for a bomb. Only runs 5 seconds off the clock. Carolina kicks the winning field goal with 2 seconds left.

:cry:

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

And Green Bay gets their first win of the season! :cool:

Congrats Geoff :thu:

Must feel good to get off the no win snide.

Hopefully the Bucs and Raiders fans around here will get to experience that feeling before the season is over.

Brett looked like his old self today.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Damn, my Niners got their asses handed to them on a plate by Philly. :(

But, they looked a hell of a lot better getting creamed by the Eggles this year than they did last year. :rolleyes:

I'm actually pretty impressed by Alex Smith. He looked pretty clueless last year, but he's really starting to show a lot of promise. [fingers crossed]

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

They say it usually takes 4-6 weeks for a "normal" person to recover from splenectomy. I know a couple of athletes (like the NHL's Peter Forsberg) that came back and were fine after it.

I wonder if TB is going to stick with Gradkowski, or try and see if Rattay can stil throw the ball. Simms will be gone for awhile in any case.

- Jeff

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

And Green Bay gets their first win of the season! :cool:

Congrats Geoff :thu:

Must feel good to get off the no win snide.

Hopefully the Bucs and Raiders fans around here will get to experience that feeling before the season is over.

Thanks, Steve. I'm sure Tampa Bay and Oakland will have at least a few wins this year. We've got to savor the ones our teams get though, don't we?

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Brett looked like his old self today.

That's great! I wish I could have seen him.

With Denver's upset of New England, I was lucky today in that both of my favorite teams won. Unfortunately, I picked against both of them in the pick 'em pool; but I'd rather they win and I lose than the other way around. ;)

Best,

Geoff

I was lucky today in that both of my favorite teams won. Unfortunately, I picked against both of them in the pick 'em pool; but I'd rather they win and I lose than the other way around. ;)

Go Seahawks!!!

Originally posted by steadyb:

I was lucky today in that both of my favorite teams won. Unfortunately, I picked against both of them in the pick 'em pool; but I'd rather they win and I lose than the other way around. ;)

Go Seahawks!!!
Congrats, steadyb. :thu:

By the way, I just got back from watching the football movie, Invincible . It kind of reminded me of another Mark Wahlberg movie, Rock Star . Both movies are about fans joining their idols, underdogs struggling against all odds the kind of roles that Wahlberg seems especially suited for. It may not be the best football movie I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it and recommend it. It definitely got my adrenalin rushing a few times and made me long for the days when I actually played football instead of just watching it. (Not that I was ever that caliber of an athlete, but I have some good memories.)

The movie is set in Philadelphia and it is in part about the city itself and its relationship with the Eagles. It made me think of Dave Bryce more than once. I can see the Philly side of you a little better now, Dave. ;)

(meccajay, I'm guessing if I'd ever gotten to meet you offline, I'd have pictured you there as well. Hopefully someday we'll meet in person)

Has anyone else here seen the movie?

Best,

Geoff

Shockey blasting Coughlin. Strahan and Unemyora almost invisble. New sign Sam Madison looking pretty much washed up (at least R.W., McQuarters, the greatest name in rock, is making some plays) the overtrumped linebacking corps of Emmons, Pierce and Arrington is doing what exactly? (Pierce can play for me any day, otherwise, take out the trash...)

Eli throwing rookie ints. Burress benched.

I'm not happy with the NYG at this precise moment in time. Still a lot of talent there, though, if the ship can be righted.

Funny thing. I never approve of players or coaches calling each other out in the press, but beyond that, Shockey is right. The Giants' game coaching has been abysmal.

But, to quote George Harrison, "The future still looks good and you've got time to rectify all the things that you should."

Is that the only occurence of the word "rectify" in rock? Why, I suspect it is.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Glad you're finding yourself in a 'Philly' state of mind there Geoff...good deal! I haven't seen the movie yet, but know the story very well! Glad you liked.

Onto his weeks NFL! Looks like Offense is starting to catch up this week a little bit.

-Seattle over the Giants. Good for Philly, were back in 1st place! The Giants can't really expect to win every game during garbage time. On the other hand, they may be onto something with the no huddle! Hey Plaxico, who's laughing now?

-Denver over New England, Brady looks to be in mouring over Dion Branch, plus Dillon gets hurt when you need to lean on the rushing game. Not looking good for the Pats right about now.

-Baltimore over Cleveland, Man I almost won the pool this week, or close. Soo many of you guys picked Baltimore this week. I wasn't about to go near this game as a pick. Jim Fassel admits McNair doesn't quite know the playbook yet, so it was far too risky as a divisional game.

-Bengals over Steelers, I guess no one wants to say what we all know..Yep, the Bengals were gonna win that playoff game last year, and the Steelers got lucky..glad they enjoyed there prosperity. Shannon Sharpe made an interesting point: "this makes 3 straight games where Big Ben has played poorly, going back to the super bowl...something is wrong".

Man you just gotta love coach Cower starting Ben despite that fact that he just aint quite ready yet. I'm sure the Bengals & Ravens don't mind at all...

-Indy over J'ville, Yeah going 3-1 or even in you first 4 games against Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indy, & Washington is very noble for Jacksonville, but you guys HAVE to find a way to beat Indy this year just once.

-Chicago over Minn., Hard fought sloppy game and win for Chicago, If they can beat the Seahawks next week, it's a cake schedule for a good long while. Bright things ahead for the Bears.

-Carolina Over Tampa, John Kasay for president! We'll he kept me alive in the pool that's for sure. Tough break for the Sims kid. Hopefully he can return to form in a couple months.

-*Tonight is the big game.. The Katrina Bowl. Lots of emotion, lots of hype and 2 pretty good teams. Even the President will be in the dome(place joke here).

The game itself looks to be good, but truthfully, it looks like a hard task to beat Atlanta, with what close to 300 yrds per game rushing. I think Bush will shine a little, but the real hero of the game will be Warrick Dunn. If the Saints can win, I think it will be with there kicker facing the Falcons kickers. I'm gonna route for N.O. The city and the team!

Looks were gonna have a lot of fun tonight!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Well, my Skins showed up for the game they were supposed to win. :rolleyes::D

If Portis made that much of a difference to the offense, then we really need to get Springs back to shore up the defense. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Magpel:

Funny thing. I never approve of players or coaches calling each other out in the press, but beyond that, Shockey is right. The Giants' game coaching has been abysmal.

No doubt. That game looked a lot like the Panther playoff game.

Before the Giants got spanked, I watched most of the Jets-Bills game. Mangini looks like he's going to be very good Head coach. It's early, but he has the team: ready to play, not making a lot of mistakes, good play calling, etc.

Not a playoff team, but they will give the middle of the road teams a run for their money.

Archived