Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What else do you play?

LANSTARR.COM

I play assorted keyboards, can do drums fairly well, and I once was a guitar owner. ;)

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started playing guitar, I also play the mandolin. My approach to each instrument is different, I've played keys the shortest, but had the most proper methods and technique, so I've progressed quickly. (Not to mention having over a decade of real-worl music experience and theory)

I play all 3 in my band, but the focus is switching away from guitar and to keys, but also getting more involved with the mando

Slide gee-tar, mainly. I've played a bunch of other things over the years. Trumpet and French horn in high school. Lap dulcimer. (& McNally Strumstick, which is a backwards-strung dulcimer on a strap.) Recorders. A little Russian zither called a gusli. I'm trying to learn to blow a harp.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Well...as a synthesist - I also play knobs (lots of them!) and switches - and some buttons.

And...some patch cords. Pulling them out or putting them in at the right time takes lots of practice - and be sure to take your watch off!

They can get caught in there and really screw up things up.

Don't even wear that watch when you play.

Zon

Primarily synthesizers, but in my checquered career I have also played drums, lap steel, recorders, and my vocal tract.

I just picked up a 7-string Washburn electric in order to learn to play touch-guitar. I've been obsessed with that sound for a while now and need to learn how to execute it. (Plus, it would be nice to have a basis for shredding).

I started out playing clarinet in junior high, branched out to all of the woodwinds and brass, then percussion by the time I got out of high school. I also taught myself to play guitar, then played bass in the jazz band. This was all when I was thinking of becoming a band director.

As an "adult" I have played guitar, sax, flute, piano, synthesisers, bass, hand percussion and drums. I'm actually the sax player, 2nd keyboardist and arranger for my current band, but we had to fire the guitar player (again) so I am now doing guitar.

I'd like to learn harmonica and violin/fiddle at some point.

Paul

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

I play guitar and harmonica, but I'm only comfortable doing it for myself. I don't book gigs on those instruments, but play them on my own sessions as my standards are lower than most.

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0150502840_md.jpg
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I have been playing trumpet for 26 years, piano/keyboards for 20 years.

I love them both, and the band I am playing in lets me play both instruments.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/erikogden/IMG_31461.jpg

Erik

My musical journey started at the tender age of 5, learning violin, which I still play. By the time I hit High School I played drums, saxophone and Bassoon as well. By the time I graduated, I played every woodwind and brass instrument I could get my hands on, with some degree of proficiency (like playing it credibly for the band), along with just learning guitar. Since then I have learned keys and bass. In my studio I play all of my own drum parts, along with rhythm guitar and bass, not to mention keys. I still have a working knowledge of sax, bassoon, trumpet and french horn, flute and string instruments. I still have to farm out lead guitar parts, and have a most capable guy that does these for me, and I reciprocate by playing keys for him.

All in all, I have been a musician longer than my wife has even been alive, and picture myself doing it until I die. And even after that, my youngest daughter has picked up the torch and is carrying it high, playing guitar, bass, a little drums and keys, and is a songwriter like you read about! (proud dad moment)

Long live music!!

Jay

Harps, fiddle, mandolin, and tenor sax.

I have played in the past (and then sold): trombone, lap steel guitar, hawaiian guitar, pedal steel guitar, and banjo.

Sold most of them when I was religiously cleansed of all country/bluegrass influences. :D

I played trombone from gradeschool thru college jazz band, but dropped it after graduation. Three years ago I got a decent tax return and bought the tenor, and am just now getting to the point where I'm playing it on stage (I promised myself I wouldn't until it sounded better than synthesized sax; it now does :) ). That's a FUN instrument to learn!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by kad:

Bass, Guitar, Drums.

Ditto! :cool:

Although for most of my life the Guitar was my forte. But since picking up the Keyboard/Piano I now rarely play the guitar. Besides, my high end keyboard has some very realistic guitar sounds so if I have a need for some type of guitar sound like a Strat or Jazz guitar sound etc., I can simply use my keyboard. In reality I can play hundreds of "virtual" instruments that reside on my Keyboard. How well I can play them is another story. ;)

Nevertheless, practice makes perfect they say.. :cool: A while back I was able to devote four hours a day and sometimes even more playing the keys. That lasted about 2 years or so. Things have since changed but I try to devote as much spare time as possible playing my Keyboards. I just wish I had started playing Keys when I took up the Guitar at age 11. The Keyboard is such a wonderful instrument. It is also such a great way to learn how to play new instruments such as a Violin, Sax, Flute or whatever other virtual instruments reside on your keyboard. It's a blast!, albeit, it can be quite challenging.

Mike

I play BF2...... (a lot)
Gear: Korg TR-61, w/EXB-SMPL & 64mb SIMM, Peavey KB3... Computer: PC, AMD 64 3500+, ASUS A8N-E mb, 1-gig OCZ 3200, DVD-RW, nVidia 6800GT, 100-gig SATA hdd, SoundBlaster X-Fi, 200w JBL sub, Vintage (1974) Bose 901 run through a VSX-456 home stereo.

I've tinkered with drums, guitar, and bass (frequency in about that order). But keys are my true calling. Besides, after several unsuccessful attempts with bands (creative difference, not lack of talent), keyboards are the best way to go as a solo artist anyways.

Originally posted by jay da cop:

By the time I hit High School I played drums, saxophone and Bassoon as well.

Jay

I predict that one day...Bassoonists will rule the world!!!

Shout out to Jay from another Bassoon player!!!

Gwen

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Played guitar and drums before keys. The guitar chord system helped in recognizing keyboard patterns and drums in timing (keyboardists need good timing). Taken together, I have realised that playing a few well timed notes makes better keyboard playing. Surely, it helps to have at least some basic skills on other intruments.
We have time, but none to waste.

I play bass on a handful of tunes in our band. I could play the bass lines on keys, but it's kind of fun to get out front and run around for a while.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 6 months later...

I started playing drums at the age of seven and since then, keys, bass, guitar, percussion, drum machine programming, and running my studio(since I have moved building a new one). I want to pick up vibes and flute. But my studio is always taking up a lot of my time so it is a little rough trying to practice. I will go to a music store in various states when I am out of town and lay down some notes.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived