Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What else do you play?

LANSTARR.COM

I play a lot of guitar: rhythm & lead electric, bass (when there's no 'real' bass player at the local blues jams, I fill in), acoustic picked and fingerstyle and some classical, in standard and alternate tunings. I'd agree tha different types of guitar are about as different as different types of keyboard, and fingerstyle versus picked is even more different. I have a lot more $ in guitars than keyboards, even though I'm a keyboard player first. (The money pendulum has swung both ways.)

I can play a little blues on harmonica, and a couple things on kalimba (finger piano, but don't think that counts as keyboards!) In high school I played sax, but haven't picked up a horn in well over 20 years so that would be embarrassing. But from that I can still play a little clarinet and flute -- sticking to the registers that finger almost like a sax. I have a xaphoon (bamboo sax), but can only make horrible noises with it. Maybe I'd practice if I thought it wouldn't cause the police to show up. And of course, recorder and the other flute-like instruments, though not particularly well, especially having trouble with chromatics.

For a little while I could play the baritone because my son was learning that in school and I helped him practice a bit. He asked me so I taught him the standard blues bass line, and he loved that. Of course, he quickly got a lot better than me on the horn, and after 5 years of it he quit. Later he did pick up bass guitar, though, and still plays.

I play drums on the keyboard for recording, but that probably doesn't count. Mentally it's different, even if physically it's just playing keyboards.

All this keeps me from being particularly good at any of them. I sometimes think about getting a Dobro or a Chapman Stick, but then wonder why I'd want to stink on yet another instrument.

I sing, too, and I think I'll be singing a lot more in the near future since I'm in a band where the lead vocalist has health issues. The problem with singing is that blaming the instrument doesn't help, and you can't buy a better one. Voice is the hardest instrument to master -- not that I have to worry about getting anywhere near mastery.

BluesKeys didn't mention it, but he's a damn fine vocalist. I'd want Jim in my band, but that wouldn't leave me with much to do!

And I can play the fool pretty well, or so I'm told. Is that a compliment?

I play the computer keyboard really well too, only I think I play way too many "notes".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DaleJB:

Accordion (does that count?) a wee bit of violin and a bit of percussion.

Yes, accordion should count. Most keyboard players who pick up an accordion for the first time can't make anything much resembling music with it. (Myself included.) It's a much more physical instrument than any other keyboard, and while it's fun to poke fun at, it's not an easy instrument to play even passably.

I realize I forgot to add bagpipes! Well, I don't really play, but recently someone had an instrument (at a funeral reception) and was letting people try it out. I was third and last and got to learn from the mistakes of those before me, and managed to squeeze out a recognizeable rendition of that song we all think of with bagpipes. The bagpipe player said she'd never seen anyone manage to play it their first try. However, my mom wanted me to sit down because evidently my face was turning purple. (Some of the faces of the crowd were probably turning green.)

If I could afford even a cheap one, I'd ... get an Electro and an RD700sx, and pocket the difference.

Alto sax is the instrument I actually know how to play. I also play the soprano sax, do alot of backing vocals in our covers band, and use a MIDI controller with a Roland XV-5050 (with SRX-07) to make miscellaneous noises as needed. We have another musician in our covers band who actually knows how to play keyboards. so the whole experience is an incredible amount of fun!

I am the only horn player in our covers band, and I am still experimenting to try to see how good a job I can do at simulating multi-horn parts between my alto sax and the XV-5050.

I'm a gatecrashing bassist. I love to hang out here as you guys have so much great stuff to say - especially about theory and chord voicings and jazz.

I play electric bass (have dome for over 20 years)and a little upright (but I don't have an upright); I can play percussion and very basic guitar and piano. I'm now singing backing vocals on stage but I'm very much a movice in terms of singing - still strugling to hold a note!

Originally posted by Phil W:

I'm a gatecrashing bassist.

:freak::D

Guitar, trombone, bass guitar, percussion, tuba/sausaphone, baritone/euphonium, mandolin, and now trying to improve my keyboard technique so I never have to learn another instrument interface again. ;) I've tried recorder, but I'm not up to performance level on that one.

Being able to play multiple instruments certainly does expand a musician's view of music, especially if his/her primary instrument is not polyphonic. Somewhere in these forums it's been said that everyone should learn keys as a 2nd instrument, and if keys is your primary, you should learn drums as a 2nd. That sounds about right to me.

Why is it that more KC members play mando than GP or LD members? :confused:

I play electric guitar also. Guess I would play acoustic if I had one -- learned on one.

Anyway, guitar is it. I'm a much better keyboard player than a guitar player.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I play guitar and bass. I can play simple beats on droms with an occasional roll, but nothing too complicated. I've fooled around with harmonica (I learned to play intro to School by Supertramp :) ) and I sing. Piano/keys is of course my main instrument. I'd really like to learn cello, it's sounds so nice. That and you can slide... that's the only thing that I don't like about piano. (Other than that, it's by far my favorite of course ;) )
-Keyboard-

Originally posted by eevilteddie:

Tin whistle, recorders (descand all the way to bass).. ^_^

Heh - glad it's not just me - don't know what it's like in the States, but here, pretty much all kids play the recorder at primary school, and pretty much all kids suck really bad at it. As a result, when (or if) you tell people you studied the recorder for 10+ years, you get pretty funny looks, as people don't realize it can be a "serious" instrument, with an extensive baroque repertoire.

Also play the oboe and the guitar. And the harmonica, until someone tells me to shut up.

Originally posted by Steve Nathan:

Scary as it sounds, I like to play my Delta table saw :eek:

I'm getting pretty good on the Dremel :)

I wouldn't call myself a mandolin player, but I play the mandolin. I've got an Alvarez F-style, an Italian roundback, a Martin Backpacker, and a Fender Electric.

Tuba for 10 years.

Played tuba with a small combo in a theme park 6 days a week during three summers as a teenager.

I love the tuba :cry:

Trumpet is my main instrument; I've been playing it since I was 4. Besides that and keys, I also play cornet, trombone, drums, bass (upright and electric [preferably fretless]), alto sax, flute, didgeridoo.

By the way, someone proclaimed earlier that either one has to specialize on only a single instrument or become a generalist. I don't agree. Many woodwind players--especially in jazz (like Yusef Lateef, Hubert Laws, Najee, Joshua Redmond, and Jevon Jackson)--play several instruments proficiently. My point is, although it takes lots of hard work to master a single (or multiple instruments), it's not impossible to do.

In fact, it was partly via the encouragement of all of my brass mentors that I became inspired to learn piano in the first place. I've also found that learning to play multiple instruments has helped me tremendously to with music theory.

Originally posted by LoFi:

pretty much all kids play the recorder at primary school, and pretty much all kids suck really bad at it. As a result, when (or if) you tell people you studied the recorder for 10+ years, you get pretty funny looks, as people don't realize it can be a "serious" instrument, with an extensive baroque repertoire.

:D:eek: You mean it can actually create something other than a screechy cacophony?

I can stand on stage, sing and play keys, bass, drums and blues harp without major embarassment.

In the studio, with plenty of "do-overs", I can also play enough guitar, trumpet and sax to make a demo of a song.

I also like to play "rescue the french maid from the pirates" but that's for another thread.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Well, started on accordian. Went to college and majored in percussion while minoring in piano. Switched over to organ somehwere during that interim, picked up acoustic guitar, and because I had to major in instrumental supervision, I was exposed to the woodwind, brass, and string instruments as well. All of this exposure helped in the long run, especially the percussion portion, which helped my rhythmically on keyboards.

Erlic

• 2 weeks later...

Archived