Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Keyboard Instrumentals

Blue JC

Hi Folks.

My R&B band wants to learn some new instrumentals and I was wondering what your favorite keyboard-based instrumentals were.

Typically, we use these tunes for a first song of the set warm-up. Keys play the head and bridge, everybody takes a chorus or two and keys play the head out. We also use them if the singers are tired or have the endless flu that seems to plague this part of the world every Winter (as was the case last night).

These are a few of the instrumentals we have done in the past:

Green Onions

Cold Duck Time

Tenor Madness

Chicken Shack

Big Chief

Jumpin' With Symphony Sid

Moanin'

All Blues

I Wish

Jersey Bounce

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of songs that work for you in these situations.

Best,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take Five, and ....

... I dunno who did this, but there is a funky R&B version of Also Sprach Zarathustra that I heard on the soundtrack of Being There. I do something similar with a band from time to time to loosen the people up.

Jerry

We have done Green Onions in the past too, but one that we all like that we do at the end of every set (so the guitar player can announce that we're taking a break and will be back shortly) is Stevie Ray Vaughan's So Excited. There's not a keyboard part in his version, but there is in ours! Actually I think this song sounds great with a nice House Organ sound. It's just a blues progression, so you can play the three chords or do some scale runs. Nice song. People seem to like it. And, if people are dancing, we stretch it out, and if not, we cut it short. Very versatile song. Gotta have a decent lead guitarist though to pull it off well.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stoo schultz:

Here are a few not yet mentioned.

Funky Chicken

Canteloupe Island

St. Thomas

Tough Talk

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

I don't know Tough Talk. Who did that one?
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Oh - one other we used to do that was fun - we did some ZZ top blues - I forget which one - but it was in G and when the keyboard solo came around we would put in the bridge to Freeway Jam and just go into Freeway Jam.

Europa by Santana used to go over well too. Jessica can't be beat either.

Dave P - thanks for bringing up Cissy Strut - I was trying to think of the name of that a couple of days ago - to me that song is a drum feature, and I used to love to play it.

Originally posted by delirium:

try Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2, that should warm up your keyboard...

:D

I saw a guy play the Minute Waltz for his parents at one of these bars. I bet his KX-88 still smells like beer.

Once I decided that I was going to do an all-instrumental solo act the first and foremost concern was how to keep it interesting for both me and the audience. I've been on a search ever since for instrumentals that are fun to play, recognizable without lyrics, and a little out of the ordinary. Some examples include some of the things that Lee Ritenour and friends have done with the albums "A Twist of Marley", "A Twist of Motown", and Fourplay's version of Sting's "Fields of Gold". Dancing Fantasy has a unique 4/4 version of "Take Five". Jimi Hendrix even did his own cover of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Personally I have taken on creating contemporary instrumental versions of Beatles classics like "With a Little Help From My Friends" and "Fool On The Hill" not to mention standards like "Moon River", "Autumn Leaves" and "Someone to Watch Over Me". I also like to pickup no-name cheap Muzak albums sometimes and steal ideas... I recently found an instrumental album of Elton John hits that gave some inspirations to work from.

These are great ideas guys. Thanks.

I'm going to listen to as many of these tunes as I can over the weekend and figure out what I can arrange for my band.

Thanks again.

JC

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Cissy Strut is good for this, although doing it the "original" way needs a guitar.

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy is a great tune for this purpose.

--Dave

Sunday night I played at a blues jam here in town. With me was a drummer I had played with. Also on stage was a trombonist and a bass player.

We started with my choice: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.

Then the trombonist played a tune... can't remember the name.

Later a guitarist came up and called Cissy Strut.

I remember the tune and played it OK even though I'd never played it before. (It was in the key of 'C', what can I say?) :rolleyes:

Who recorded Cissy Strut?

I would have ended with Watermelon Man, but we just didn't have time.

Too much fun for a Sunday night. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by stepay:

Another GREAT instrumental that I'd love for my band to do is the Theme from Sanford & Son. Greatest TV theme song ever.

A good one fer sure, but Hawaii Five-O kicks it's ass as does Mission: Impossible. My favorite sleeper TV theme song was from the show Mannix. :cool:

As far as instrumentals, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Time Is Tight. Linus and Lucy is another good one. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by RonL:

Oh - one other we used to do that was fun - we did some ZZ top blues - I forget which one - but it was in G and when the keyboard solo came around we would put in the bridge to Freeway Jam and just go into Freeway Jam.

I bet it was "Apologies to Pearly", same rhythm as Freeway Jam.

Archived