Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 2 leslie mono problems

bluzeplayr

I just got at Nord Electro 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I've noticed that when using the leslie sim and organ through a mono amp, all the highs seem to disappear.

If I listen with headphones, the highs seem to move around from channel to channel (nice leslie simulation).

In mono, however, the highs just go away, and the organ just sounds muddy. It's not terrible, just not as good as it should (and could) be.

I think it has something to do with the phase changes causing destructive interference in mono.

Has anyone else noticed this (or do you guys all gig with stereo amps)?

Bruce

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce,

I use my Electro either with my Motion Sound KP200S in stereo or mono into a Bose PAS.

I have not noticed what you're describing when playing mono. I was actually quite happy with the mono sound in the Bose. I have taken to using the headphone output because it has a hotter signal then the regular outs. I don't know if that would make a difference but you could try it and see what it sounds like EWall

Electro Leslie in mono is not nearly as strong as stereo, but very usable to my ears. I think it sounds fine. One thing you can do that is actually a nice improvement suggested by another user is when running mono, use the jack that is not labeled mono (I think it is the R side, but cannot remember and don't have the Electro in front of me). Using this does not have a detrimental impact on any sounds and actually makes the Leslie a bit more pronounced. You may like it.

Regards,

Eric

I just read a new post on the Yahoo Group for Nord Electro and this guy says that his mono experience is enhanced by putting a dummy plug in the opposing jack. Never tried that, but one more thing to try for kicks. I'm wondering how long it will take for Jazz+ to come along and tell us the Nord Electro sounds "phasey and weird" in mono. Old joke. :D

Regards,

Eric

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think that the real problem is phase cancellation when the left and right channels are summed together (by taking the mono output). If you use the other jack, or put in a dummy jack, then you just get one channel, and the phases don't cancel, so the hights don't get killed so much.

So, to my ears, it sounds a lot better if you take the left (non-mono) output, or if you put in a dummy plug. The dummy plug trick makes it easy to do an A-B test since you can switch in mid-sound by amplifying the 'mono' out and then just pulling out and putting in the dummy plug to switch the mono mode on and off.

Maybe I'll try coming out of the headphone jack as well -- I'll probably want to get a splitter so I could just take one of the channels in that case.

Thanks again for your responses -- I'm much happier now!

Bruce

Originally posted by eric:

I just read a new post on the Yahoo Group for Nord Electro and this guy says that his mono experience is enhanced by putting a dummy plug in the opposing jack. Never tried that, but one more thing to try for kicks. I'm wondering how long it will take for Jazz+ to come along and tell us the Nord Electro sounds "phasey and weird" in mono. Old joke. :D

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by bluzeplayr:

Maybe I'll try coming out of the headphone jack as well -- I'll probably want to get a splitter so I could just take one of the channels in that case.

When I'm using one speaker, I just run a cable right from the headphone jack to the speaker's input and it sounds great. No splitter needed.

Archived