Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to logo a CD

Tony Bennett

We are going to be recording some originals to sell at our gigs. I think it would be nice to logo the actual cds. I see you can purchase a desk jet that will do this, but the imprint would of course smear if it gets wet. I hear those paper stickers can cause malfunctions while playing...maybe some sort of clear decal printed? Ideas? How many cds do I have to burn before it's worth just hiring it done?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Printed stickers cause lots of headaches! They can "bubble" up and, worse, they get stuck in many front-loading drives.

I'd go with professionally done CDs, direct print, or try lightscribe (which is only shades of gray, not color), in that order.

I did the sticker route...and now I'm done with it. It doesn't look good to sell (or even give away) a CD that gets stuck in someone's player (that just pisses them off).

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

I would definitely go with printed stickers. They look pretty good, and the other options are probably too much of an investment for what it sounds like you want. I've never heard of the stickers causing malfunctions. I have some cds with printed stickers on them an they all work fine.

Yeah they do - they come off in peoples drives. Not a good idea for promo CDs!

Hey, thanks for the replies. I looked into the laser, wow that's cool. We actually want like a 1000 cd's so it looks like we will hire that done. Funny story tonight, me and the singer are calling around looking for someone to record the music. We're chatting on the phone and I say "well I've got a digital 8 track" he says "YOU have a digital 8 track"? I'm like "yeah, but I don't want to figure out how to run it". He's like "YOU, have a digital 8 track"? I'm like "well yeah, I record piano with it". Hah, anyways he ran over to pick up the instruction manual. One of those funny conversations you wish you had recorded to put on a cd.

For 1000 CD's...go to a pro.

But for short runs, I use a cheapo Epson Stylus Photo R200 ($100)... it has a tray that accepts a CD. I've had good luck getting CD's to look almost professional. And the printable CD's are only a few cents more than the non-printable kind. I think you'll get better results if you get white printable CD's (as opposed to the silver/gold foil type). Plus, the Epson does a fairly good job on regular print jobs.

The labels don't always adhere well... and if they're not perfect, they can cause some wobble as the CD spins - which can occasionally cause the CD to skip.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I dunno guys, 1000 isn't that much, easy enough to do yourself. Depends on how you want them to look, most people won't buy CDs that are obviously home pressed.

We use stickered CDs as flyers for upcoming shows, print the flyer right on the CD, so that if people like and keep the CD, they'll know about the show. We usually pass out 2-300 per upcoming show. Used to be more expensive but we got a buddy at Best Buy, so CD-Rs are cheap as hell! Seems to work out alright, but our CDs for sale are professionally pressed.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

The lightscribes are pretty cool, but you should look into the fact that they apparently take a VERY long time to label each CD. Also, they currently only operate in shades of gray (no colors). You might want to look into that a bit (esp. the timing thing).

Best option is always to have the CD's done professionally... but if you're like me and still want to DIY then here's what I've found:

* Absolutely never use stickers. They not only bubble but add weight to the CD and sometimes make it spin unevenly. They can destroy a CD player.

* Those Epson printers don't last for long. I had two that messed up - they don't feed the CD's reliably and it's very time-consuming to hand print CD's.

* Lightscribe not only takes 20 minutes or more per CD but it requires special CD's to print on. White printable CD's are cheaper and easy to buy in bulk.

I use a Primera Bravo II CD printer/duplicator that I invested about $1500 in and it hasn't failed me yet after a year and a half of use. Very reliable and surprisingly efficient with ink (if you design your labels well). Nice to push a start button on the computer and come back later to a stack of finished CD's. Ink seems smearproof and looks great. The Primeras are not cheap but they turn out a nice product painlessly.

BTW: I design my own jewel case inserts with Microsoft Publisher and have them printed at Staples. I've setup a "kitchen island" in the corner of my studio where I cut/score/fold the inserts, assemble the CD's, and shrinkwrap them with a heat gun. Shrinkwrapping kits and supplies are available at www.markertek.com

Archived