Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Melodica players?

bloodsample

I'm kind of answering my own question here, but through some googling, I've come across a (what seems to be) good accordion player, I've heard some of his stuff through online samples and I'm seriously considering buying some of his cds. Anyways, his name is Richard Galliano. Check him out, he adds a lot of jazzy flavour to more traditional sounding accordion licks. Check out "L'insidieuse" by him, its a nice jazzy 3/4 song. Jazz rocks! or maybe it jazzes?

I'm glad to see so many melodica fans :)

After all your input, I've finally decided to go with the HM-36, I'll probably buy it online as it is about 100$ less expensive than at my local music store.

Once again, thank you for sharing ur ideas/thoughts.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have my Hohner Melodica Piano 27 (made in Germany) that I bought in the early 1970's - I just went out to the garage to make sure I had the model correct. Still plays!

I bought it because I wanted to emulate one of my faves from the time, Billy Preston, who I believe was the most visible user back then. He used it on a lot of songs, and it's pictured on at least one of his albums. Prolly the most famous melodica solo ever is his "Will It Go 'Round In Circles", although the Hooters also revived it for the beginning of "And We Danced".

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Steely Dan's Donald Fagan plays melodica all over the SD albums, notably on "Babylon Sisters" (a classic) and "Godwhacker".

Hi Mark

Minor point, but the liner notes for "Godwhacker" say Fagan is playing a synth. There is a little pitch bending on some notes. But it's an awesome solo and one that begs to be played on a Melodica. I've tried on my Chinese made "Angel" brand, but at 31 keys I run out of notes.

Cheers.....Jon

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I found a vintage Melodica in great condition at a local used music shop. Thought it would be good to have on the road for those little "room rehearsals" --- now I'm playing it on stage too.

Forgot all about Billy Preston's solo... thanks Synthaholic!

Here for the gear.

Paul Oscher used to have a sound clip on his website of him playing a 36 key Hohner melodica, with a discontinued Hohner melodica pickup, through a Leslie. It was killer! I just looked around on his site and couldn't find it anymore, though.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

• 6 months later...
I recently bought a Hohner Piano 32 to replace my Chinese copy. The Hohner intonation is far better, but I find that when I'm wailing (!) the lower notes choke rather too often. Like...nothing happens as if a valve is stuck closed. It's frustrating, and of course makes me think " if only I'd gone for the bigger model $$"

I have the same problem! I wonder if the bigger ones also act like that from time to time?

Originally posted by Jon May:

I recently bought a Hohner Piano 32 to replace my Chinese copy. The Hohner intonation is far better, but I find that when I'm wailing (!) the lower notes choke rather too often. Like...nothing happens as if a valve is stuck closed. It's frustrating, and of course makes me think " if only I'd gone for the bigger model $$"

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

[QB] I have the same problem! I wonder if the bigger ones also act like that from time to time?

Sorry to hear that, but I'm encouraged that it's not just me :D

I've been thinking of getting a melodica for camping. Currently, my friends show up with guitars, mandolins, harmonicas, etc. while my P120 has to stay home.

Is it possible to play the Melodica softly without making an infernal racket that annoys the entire campground? Put another way, is it more quiet than an accordion? ;^)

-Jeff DLB

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Very first instrument I played. Used to borrow my sister's Melodica & knock out pop songs on it (Oh, c'mon, I was only 7)!

Years later when I graduated to grown up keys I found the 'blowing whilst playing' technique perfect for DX & breath controller. Made the sax a lot more believeable.

This link gives more info on the melodica. The type I used to play is the third pikkie of the kid playing melodica. (The 'keys' were seperated from each other).

http://www.melodicas.com/melodica_is_a_wind_instrument_cr.htm

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

I've been wanting a Melodica for a while now, the urge hit a month or so ago when I went to a club after the gig to see some buddies play. They wanted me to sit in, but I wasn't about to haul in all that stuff. A Melodica would have been perfect. I finally decided to order one today, and of course since this is a GAS type purchase, and a good write off, I went with the HM-36. Can't wait until it gets here.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by Jeff DLB:

Is it possible to play the Melodica softly without making an infernal racket that annoys the entire campground? Put another way, is it more quiet than an accordion? ;^)

-Jeff DLB

The Melodica would be perfect for campfire jams. It is very expressive and can be played quietly. It cant do vibrato or bend notes like a blues harp, but bluesy grace notes work fine. You could always get someone to so a drumroll on your back for vibrato! :D

now, has anyone found a midi melodica yet?

that'd be killer.

i have the student model, i find it limiting in the fact that the keys are hinged opposite wise. like, the whites are hinged normal, and the blacks are hinged as if they are to be played with the left hand.

so, its not so much about curing it as it is about hiding it...to help spread it faster

It cant do vibrato or bend notes like a blues harp, but bluesy grace notes work fine.

Actually you can bend notes. From melodicas.com:

"As mentioned earlier it is more difficult to bend notes on a melodica than a harmonica as you are further from the reeds. It is however possible. While holding down a key and blowing steadily, slowly lift your finger allowing the key to rise (so it is at the point where the air flow is incomplete or choking the reed). At this time you will hear the pitch change. A technique can be developed where by playing pressing the keys half way down while blowing, this Bending of notes will occur. Good luck."

I played one years ago. We used it to sub for accordian on "The Ayatollah Polka" (this was during the embassy hostage-taking in Tehran in 1979-81). As I recall, it was difficult to mic it properly to get enough volume to be heard.

At any rate, this has all inspired me to order the Hohner 36 (back ordered until 7/1 :( ) and the Big Shot pickup from K & K Sound.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Hot damn!

It arrived earlier than expected. Instead of doing some productive work and packing to go on vacation, I've been fooling around with it this afternoon. I'd forgotten how fun these things are. The little Big Shot pickup works great. I have a blues gig tonight and will have to take it along. My only problem is I don't think it'll fit back in the case with the pickup and connector stuck on the bottom.

Never mind, with the room for the handle to clear, it fits fine in the case.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by misterdregs:

Hot damn!

... The little Big Shot pickup works great. ...

So where on the melodica did you mount your Big Shot? I just received mine in the mail.

Jon

"So where on the melodica did you mount your Big Shot? I just received mine in the mail.

Jon"

I just stuck it on the bottom toward the far end with the quarter inch cable adaptor coming off to my left to keep it out of the way of my right hand. There's really not a place where the sound comes "out" so I would guess it doesn't really matter where you stick the pickup.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Dregs

I placed my pickup under the far end too, as in the photo.

http://www.jonmaydesign.com/graphics/Bigshot_Placement.jpg

Have been playing at home through my KC60 amp.

Observations:

- A lot of key clatter gets picked up too, which I guess could be expected given that the pickup registers vibration of the case

- more annoying is the buzz from pickup. You get any of that? I've used leads that I know are quiet. K&K say that it is because of "the high impedance of the pickup" and suggest using a preamp.

- ratio of acoustic volume to level from the amp is about 1:1 even with the amp turned up to 8'ish. This also makes the buzz louder :freak: I think I need to experiment with the placement. In this position it doesn't seem to be putting out much signal.

Jon May

your set up is fatnastic! I used to glue with tape my mic. on the back side of my mellodica, but this does not seem to work as i tend to move and the mic. often falls down (with a terrible noiz)! This gave me an idea of getting it steady - thnx

A friend mentioned that in hohner lower notes stuck: i noticed that in lower note i have to blow less air than in higher. This way they don't stuck too often.

regards

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by yannis D:

.... I used to glue with tape my mic.....

oo that mike hitting the floor must have made a nasty noise!

Hey JimmyJimJim,

I've wanted to get a melodica ever since i got into this little Australian band called The Cat Empire. They do pretty diverse groove based music, poppy but covering reggae, ska, hiphop, jazz, crazy latin and Greek/Italian sounds. And the keys player has a melodica sitting on his rhodes which he uses heaps for accordian type lines. Verrrry cool!

Hey Aussie folks, you heard these dudes? From Melbourne i believe... you may have mixed feelings about them it you have

Oi I'm from Melbourne, prick, haha. I've been a fan of the Cat Empire for a while now, seen them live 3 times. I'd seen Ben Folds use melodica before but that Ollie McGill just goes nuts with that damn melodica that sits on top of his Nord Electro. I'm already planning on buying a Stage, would I be too much of an Ollie fanboy by sitting a melodica on top of that too :) ?

Observations:

- A lot of key clatter gets picked up too, which I guess could be expected given that the pickup registers vibration of the case

- more annoying is the buzz from pickup. You get any of that? I've used leads that I know are quiet. K&K say that it is because of "the high impedance of the pickup" and suggest using a preamp.

- ratio of acoustic volume to level from the amp is about 1:1 even with the amp turned up to 8'ish. This also makes the buzz louder :freak: I think I need to experiment with the placement. In this position it doesn't seem to be putting out much signal.

Yeah, the key click is pretty noticable. Since you don't really hear it much when you're playing without the pickup, it took me a minute to realize what all that damned clatter was. :rolleyes:

I play mine through a Mackie unpowered mixer into a KB amp or powered speakers, so I would guess the pre-amp thing is a good suggestion. There is a lot of noise when it goes directly into the KB amp, too. In your case, however, it seems like a lot of hassle to add a mixer/preamp just for a little fun toy.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived