Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Melodica players?

bloodsample

Originally posted by misterdregs:

...it seems like a lot of hassle to add a mixer/preamp just for a little fun toy.

Toy?! Splutter, snort! OK, perhaps, but I would like it be a viable instrument to take to jam sesh's. But in those cases there is probably a mixer available so hopefully 'buzz-be-gone".

What about the placement of my pickup compared to yours. Is it much different? I'm thinking of swapping the positions of my pickup and jack socket(just haven't got a round tuit).

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jon May:

Originally posted by misterdregs:

...it seems like a lot of hassle to add a mixer/preamp just for a little fun toy.

Toy?! Splutter, snort! OK, perhaps, but I would like it be a viable instrument to take to jam sesh's. But in those cases there is probably a mixer available so hopefully 'buzz-be-gone".

What about the placement of my pickup compared to yours. Is it much different? I'm thinking of swapping the positions of my pickup and jack socket(just haven't got a round tuit).

OK, OK... maybe "toy" isn't the right word. For some reason "novelty" sounds even worse. When I showed up for a gig with my new melodica and pick-up, I was showing it to the guys and explained that I was trying this pick-up as it was really hard to mike the thing . The other keyboard player kinda sniffs and deadpans "There's a reason for that, you know".

I guess he's not a Don Fagen fan. BTW, check out an old record by the "New York Rock and Soul Revue" for some tasty melodica work by DF, especially "Chain Lightning".

As far as position of the pick-up, I can't imagine it makes a whole lot of difference. There's no "bell" to place it in like a horn and the tones are generated all up and down the length of the instrument. Let me know if it makes any difference, though.

An old buddy (who incidentally introduced me to the melodica) recently played his at a gridiron show for the local bar association and explained that it was the bastard child of an accordian and a Casio piano.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

<>

Ah yes! I have that CD and Mr Fagen is to blame for my melodica leanings. Chain Lightning is a personal favourite.

I'll let you know how the repositioning goes.

Also I just dug out my Pro3T :eek: which has been in storage.I need to get a power cord to suit these-here Australian sockets (don't worry, voltage is the same) and then look out!!

Jon May-

You know, I haven't played it much with the pick-up (other than a couple of tunes at a moderately loud outdoor gig) and didn't really notice the "buzz" that is there in a quiet room. Can't say as it's noticeable at full band volume.

Any suggestions, anyone?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Minor point, but the liner notes for "Godwhacker" say Fagan is playing a synth. There is a little pitch bending on some notes. But it's an awesome solo and one that begs to be played on a Melodica. I've tried on my Chinese made "Angel" brand, but at 31 keys I run out of notes.

Cheers.....Jon

Chinese made? Dudehead! I got mine from China, a "Bee-Melodika" by the price of 16 or so. It covers 3 octaves, is incredibly out of tune, but still my best friend ;)
The Dromb Bopper

Originally posted by leber_wurst:

It covers 3 octaves, is incredibly out of tune, but still my best friend ;)

You just don't see this sort of loyalty nowadays. Gotta love the man and his attitude.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

BTW, a keyboard playing friend loved my new Hohner. I was thinking of getting him the Melodyman 37 Key as a gift from his wife based on some positive comments from this thread. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Hohner (not that as a dear friend and drinking buddy he's not worth it, of course).

Comments? Any other experience with these melodicas?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I've had a Melodyman 37 for almost 2 years, and never had any trouble with it. Bought another for a niece, and another for my old music teacher, and both have been fine.

As for miking, it'd be interesting to try holding a "bullet mic" like the harpers use under one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Thanks for the reply, Ricochet. I think we'll get one ordered for my friend.

As I recall, playing into a mic doesn't work that well as there isn't an outlet for the sound like a horn or even a harp.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

The Melodyman sounds interesting, both frompositive comments here and those on their website which suggest a more harp-like bite and attitude to the tone (suited to blues, R&B) compared to the Hohner,

There's not a single outlet, but there are lots of little slots along the sides of the bottom that the sound comes out of. All connected, not individual outlets for particular reeds.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

• 4 months later...
I play the harmonica, diotonic and chromatic. I just got a hohner student 32. It has vents in the "back" of the keyboard. I took gaffers tape and taped off the vents except for three vents. It seems now that the sound is sort of concentrated toward those vents. I hold It up to the shure 58 mic and it works well,,,good tone and volume.. I have a "TubeAmp" pre amp and that helps eliminate the clicking from the keys, although I don't experience excessive clicks using the tape and the shure 58 on mic stand.

I play the harmonica, diotonic and chromatic. I just got a hohner student 32. It has vents in the "back" of the keyboard. I took gaffers tape and taped off the vents except for three vents. It seems now that the sound is sort of concentrated toward those vents. I hold It up to the shure 58 mic and it works well,,,good tone and volume.. I have a "TubeAmp" pre amp and that helps eliminate the clicking from the keys, although I don't experience excessive clicks using the tape and the shure 58 on mic stand.

For what it's worth, count me among those who purchased the Hohner 32 and wishes he sprang for the more professional (and more expensive) 36 key model. I found the 32 in a local music store and picked it up as a bit of an impulse buy (although it was definitely at the edge of impulse buy pricing for me). I had wanted one for years (I'm an unrepentant Hooters fan from the 80s) and couldn't resist. I confess that the thing is tons of fun to play, but the model I bought seems relatively cheaply built and has some intonation problems that are fine when I'm just messing around with it but would be more troublesome if I ever wanted to actually use it in a live group setting.

My two cents,

Noah

• 1 month later...
What's the opinion among the melodica cognscenti; hose or mouthpiece? (I could be stepping in it here....)

myspace.com/AlteredDominant www.Prymary.com

NordElectro3/S90XS/SteinwayS(midi'd)/KX88/Apple MBP, iMac/MainStage2/Scrbee/NI Komplete/ApogeeDuet/QSCplx1804/JBLmrx512/SpcStnSRX/LogicPro9/DP/ProTools

I used to use the hose, with the melodica crooked in my left arm - easy to see the keys, but I started to think of the hose as "trainer wheels" and have been trying to get used to the mouth piece. I think if we want the M to be considered a serious instrument we gotta go for the mouth piece! (and wear Raybans). The shades are so the audience can't see that you are cross-eyed from looking down the keyboard. Actually, the fingers do start to find their way into position with practise.

I was purchasing a variety of things for my recording arsenal yesterday and stumbled across the melodica. If you would like to hear a melodica just go to www.youtube.com and perform a search. I decided I didnt have an immediate use for one, perhaps Im missing something. On a side note what I did end up purchasing was a drum dial as a friend of was telling me about them over lunch. If any of you are drummers and havent heard of one you might want to take a peak.

Archived