Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland's "Scat Vocals" can sound good

Jazz+

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scat sounds OK but I'm with Kona; I'd rather hear an EP or piano or something more "keyboardy," which I think would accentuate the soloing better. But it's probably inspirational for him to use that patch for phrasing, etc, so it is what it is.

But damn, those guys can play!! Maybe someday when I grow up I can play close to that :(

BTW I assumed that low-end rumbling was the video mic picking up the Hammond ... like Phil was playing bass on it, and that plus what Rodney was doing was too much volume or too much frequency info, so the distortion happened in the low end.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Byrdman:

The nice thing about Roland's scat patch is how playable it is. When you hit the note harder you get a shorter, harder "da" rather than a longer melower "doo". It can be a lot of fun.

Yeah, the Kurz patches do this too. There's Doo Daa, Boo Bop (or something like that) and I think six sets in all.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I had the Kurzweil Take 6 samples and now I have the Roland Take 6 samples and I think they are about the same, I get more fun with the Roland dynamics.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I had the Kurzweil Take 6 samples and now I have the Roland Take 6 samples and I think they are about the same, I get more fun with the Roland dynamics.

I'm pretty sure the Roland scat vocals aren't Take 6. Since Roland has used Spectrasonics' samples for some of their expansion boards (like "Bass Legends"), their scat vocals are probably from the "Vocal Planet" samples. It's OK but not even close to the Kurzweil Take 6 library. I've had the Take 6 collection for 5-6 years now and it might still be my favorite sample CD-ROM.

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Originally posted by Byrdman:

The nice thing about Roland's scat patch is how playable it is. When you hit the note harder you get a shorter, harder "da" rather than a longer melower "doo". It can be a lot of fun.

Yeah, the Kurz patches do this too. There's Doo Daa, Boo Bop (or something like that) and I think six sets in all.
Geekgurl - maybe you're referring to the PC2 patches. I know them (because I have an ME-1) and they're good, but the big samples on CD-Rom for the K2000/2500/2600 are another thing - just unreal. You can have dozens of different articulations, and the full ensembles are absolutely incredible.

I think the Roland patch is fun to fool around with, but I could never use it in a live performance. Unless it was to start a song with perfect pitch harmony in the ooh's and aah's,or doing chords with one note changes. But the fun part is doing a lead over a bass line and adding bop and pow to it.

Anybody using these in performance's?

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

For what it is, it is very good. You cannot compare it to a $200 dedicated sample collection because it is just some included waveforms on an expansion ROM. Originally released as part of a meager 8 Meg expansion ROM. Big difference.

It is fun to play and you can get creative with the application. I'm glad that it has been carried over to one of the 64 Meg SRX expansion ROM's.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived