Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Your "Real Job" (If Not In Music)?

Ben One

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tusker:

I'm a management consultant focusing on mergers and acquisitions. No, I'm not a corporate raider. Mostly I help the two companies come together as one after the deal.

Jerry

Did you get a seat at the SBC / AT&T table?

- Barry

Originally posted by EoS:

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Physician- Interventional Pain Management

Ah, so you're the guy!

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this... "

Marzzz:"Well, don't do that!"

EXACTLY! :D

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'.

I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

This thread is totally cool - how interesting to learn what you guys do!

Glad you are enjoying it, Dave! It's been awesome to see all of the great responses. I am finding this thread to be very validating--so many of us are just "ordinary working stiffs" pursuing our passion for keyboards in whatever ways we can manage!

Ben

:) What a great thread!

Originally posted by Red Winger:

Patent and copyright law by day, exhausted father of 2 by night. Band gigs and home studio composition fit in there somewhere. Some weeks the fit is better than others.

--Mark[/QB]

Hey Redwinger, looks like we share a couple of things. I am a Registered Patent Agent and also father of a two-year-old boy.

I got my degree in Civil Engineering (first in Brazil, then again in Spain, back when I was planning to move there for good). Worked as structural Engineer for events (yes, designing and assembling bleachers for things like the Rock In Rio gigs), then I spent three years in transportation planning (software modeling of intersections, etc.) and then finally ended up writing patents. The funny part is that usually my jobs start with people occasionally hiring me either as a translator or interpreter, and then finding out I can do other things for them too.

In the meantime I have this passion for music, which fills up my soul the whole day long. I wonder how does my wife puts up with my apparently eternal singing&humming... :D

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by mike g:

Massage Therapist for the Toronto Raptors Dance Pak...as well at a spa. Ya I got the best job in the world.. :Dwww.mikesmassage.com

I've been told I rub people the wrong way. :D

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

No sure which thread I belong in. :freak:

I don't make a living playing music, but I do work in the music business.

For the last two years I've been a Marketing Manager at Yamaha. In the past I've supplimented my income by doing sound design, studio work and live gigs.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Jeebus ®:

Originally posted by mike g:

Massage Therapist for the Toronto Raptors Dance Pak...as well at a spa. Ya I got the best job in the world.. :Dwww.mikesmassage.com

Dude, are you looking to hire an apprentice? In fact, you don't need to pay me.. I'll rub the girls for free.
Apprentices start out with backrubs...and work their way up to frontrubs...

The Black Knight always triumphs!

DB2 Database Administrator currently, previously internal MIS query person, and before that EDP auditor.

Did you notice how many musicians are IT folks? Rumor has it that for the first computer programming staff, IBM wanted musicians over scientists.

Brian

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

I teach Elementary General Music for my "real" job. I've taught 28 years and it has been a good life. I also ran a studio (on the side) for a number of years, but gave it up because it was so hard to make money... and I actually felt bad for the people I was working for (I liked them). They were sinking a good bit of money into something that, for them, had no future. So I shut it down. Now I do commercial projects when they come along, and enjoy it much more.
David

Totally agree with DB -- this is a fun thread.

Andre L -- Nice to know a fellow forumite is also in the IP "biz." I'll keep that in mind should I need help in Brazil or South America (which does happen, from time to time). I'm an Electrical Engineer by background (radio and laser telecomm), but do a fair amount of copyright (including Music copyright, particularly on-line issues...which is always fun) as well.

Originally posted by FrankieP:

Nurse Practitioner/Registered Nurse (the most unappreciated job ever, but hey... it pays the bills).

No way. If you'd said totally underpaid or unacknowledged, I would completely agree with you. But there is no way I think of your job without loads of appreciation. :thu:

[Applause On]

[/applause off] :D

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Interesting topic.

I mostly write software for the wireless communications industry. I also run a farm and manage some rental property. I play piano and organ at chuch gigs. It's fun, and they do pay, albeit poorly.

I too am surprised at the number of IT people here, mainly because very few of the IT/software people I know in real life are musicians.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'.

I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

you're gonna need a bigger boat! :D

Originally posted by Hammodel AV:

Did you notice how many musicians are IT folks? Rumor has it that for the first computer programming staff, IBM wanted musicians over scientists.

Yeah. I've also found that the best IT people I know are musicians also. I think it has to do with a different way of thinking and interpreting concepts and patterns. there's a definite correlation somewhere.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Very cool, Pim. What Micron patches did you design?

--Dave

:o To be honest, I didn't keep a log with the names. I made 128 programs, 128 setups, 128 phrases and much more. Too much to remember. (the Micron stays with a friend, so I can't check it)

You know, making up names is the most difficult part of sound design. There are allready so many 'Aurora' pads...

:idea: For the next synth I have to program, I will ask the members of the Keyboard Corner to come up with names!

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

We're a large (10,000ish employee) NASDAQ firm. Our official newbie policy (but pretty much dormant since the Y2K bust) is that new hires without experience are expected to have a degree "in a technical field, such as mathematics, computer science, OR MUSIC" (my emphasis).

I kid you not. I'm guessing the VP who instituted the policy is a musician, but whatever - bunches of players in the ranks here.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived