Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz pianists

part1sts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wide open question. ;) Here's a couple:

Bill Evans

Thelonius Monk

Dave Brubeck

Vince Guaraldi

I'm sure you'll get a boatload more suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Here are some of my favorites:

SWING ERA:

Fats Waller

Art Tatum

James P. Johnson

Earl Hines

Teddy Wilson

BEBOP:

Bud Powell

Thelonious Monk

'COOL JAZZ':

Lennie Tristano

John Lewis

HARD BOP:

Wynton Kelly

Red Garland

Erroll Gardner

'MODERN' JAZZ, MODAL JAZZ:

Bill Evans

McCoy Tyner

and their "children":

Chick Corea

Keith Jarrett

Herbie Hancock

more recently:

Gordon Beck

Billy Childs

Brad Meldhau

and many others.

For electronic jazz players, check Joe Zawinul and Russell Ferrante at the very least, plus the aforementioned Corea and Hancock.

Please keep in mind that those categories are very generic; I included them just to give some chronological/stylistic order to the list.

Marino's list was (not unexpectedly) quite comprehensive. But he did omit (IMHO) one of the very best - Oscar Peterson. However, I'm glad he did include one of my all time favorites: Red Garland.

Listen to Red on "Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section", widely regarded as one of the landmark albums released in 1957. His virtuosity and phrasing are impressive, and will give you some ideas for playing standards at a level well above typical fake book charts. :thu:

Many of the greats have already been mentioned. Here's a list of some of my favorite current players.

Tardo Hammer - Bebop pianist from NY. He's about one of the finest bebop players today.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tardo/Recordings.html

Makoto Ozone - Great modern jazz player from Japan. Good composer and outstanding technique.

http://www.makotoozone.com/eng/disc.html

Walter Norris - Great pianist/composer based in Germany. Original complex modern style.

http://home.snafu.de/walter.norris/download_info.htm

Jon Weber - Amazing wealth of piano playing styles. His solo piano work is a combination of Tatum/McKenna styles with modern harmonisations. He will be on Piano Jazz with Marian McPartland on Feb. 8.

http://www.jonwebermusic.com/music.htm

Tom Grant - He is known for his *smooth jazz* recordings. I don't care for most of his *smooth jazz* stuff, but his *Solo Piano* recording is very impressive. Original compostions that are very different from his other stuff. Great touch/technique. I wish he would do more recordings like this.

http://tomgrant.com/solopiano.html

Piano Jazz with Marian McPartland - a weekly radio program on National Public Radio. Every week she interviews and performs with a guest musician.

http://www.npr.org/programs/pianojazz/

You left out Miles' favourite 'cocktail pianist' - Ahmad Jamal. There's a live DVD just out which is pretty phenomenal. His touch and use of dynamics is second to no one.

With Art Pepper also check the 4 nights recorded live at the Village Vanguard with George Cables. Very underrated.

Tommy Flanagan.

And if you like Monk check out Jean-Michel Pilc. Short of neither technique nor musical ideas.

Enjoy, :)

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Marino,

just went off and listened to a few audio clips of Gordon Beck, who I hadn't heard before, and I'm wondering if you could make some suggestions re your favourite recordings of his.

thanks,

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by 88keys4me:

One quick addition for more modern stuff: David Benoit and Michel Camilo.

and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, since you mentioned Camilo.

I have to put the plug in for someone local too :) Eliane Elias.

http://www.elianeelias.com/index.shtml

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by niacin:

You left out Miles' favourite 'cocktail pianist'

Man, I 've always hated that expression, "cocktail pianist". I usually see it used when referring to Bill Evans and now Ahmad Jamal? To me it's a very demeaning and condescending term, used by those who can't deal with the intricacy and elegance of a cerebral solo pianist. But of course, people love to disparage that which they don't understand....

Some of these names were already mentioned. My personal favorites are Oscar Peterson, Teddy Wilson and George Shearing. I haven't heard Hank Jones for a while, but he is a solid player.

Dick Hyman is probably the overall best piano player in my personal opinion. His command of various styles is amazing, that plus he plays flawlessly. He's probably better known for arranging the music for several Woody Allan films.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Phineas Newborn: he pretty much invented the rapid-fire unison solo lines, two octaves apart. Awesome technique.

Sonny Clark: late, great West Coast hardbop improvisor.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy, next to my wife; it is my most absorbing interest, next to my work." ...Charles Cooke

I don't think I saw two of my fav's

Joe Sample (Crusaders and solo)

Bob James (Four Play)

I just saw Bob with Four Play about 2 months ago and he is just so tasteful.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Man, I 've always hated that expression, "cocktail pianist". I usually see it used when referring to Bill Evans and now Ahmad Jamal? To me it's a very demeaning and condescending term, used by those who can't deal with the intricacy and elegance of a cerebral solo pianist.
I've made a great deal of my living as a cocktail pianist - it's not demeaning at all to me. It takes a fair amount of technique (as a minimum) to play solo piano. I remember my first ventures as a solo pianist, playing an hour before the rest of the band showed up - thank goodness there's no recordings to be used as evidence.

Another name for the list of pianists - Ellis Larkins. (As an aside, I worked eight years or so with Jimmy Cammack who is now the bassist with Ahmad Jamal (né Fritz Jones).

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived