Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post pictures of your LIVE rig?

mound

I looked through all 6 pages of the Post pictures of your setup thread, I saw lots of very cool studio spaces, but only a mention or two of live rigs.

I'm curious to see pictures of your live setups, to see first, what you've got, and secondly, how you have it arranged on stage etc..

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.hiltonheadmusic.com/9000stage-a.jpg

I've posted this picture before so you may have already seen it. My setup is very simple: a Yamaha 9000 Pro keyboard on a QuikLok Monolith stand, and a Motion Sound KP-200s. I am primarily an instrumental soloist and this picture is from a wedding I did last year, but I use the same rig when I sit-in with bands also.

I used to carry larger keyboards and racks of gear but after pulling some back muscles I decided to go on a gear-diet and this is the result. This setup really works well and it fits in a VW Cabrio for transport.

BTW: those are artificial "flame lights" on either side of the keyboard, which look much better at night. Saves me from having to carry a light system - the flame lights give enough ambience to light me completely and the keyboard has a pair of LittLite sockets built-in which illuminates the keyboard surface and my music.

nice flames! so you aren't concerned about hearing yourself in stereo I assume?

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

It must have been a nightmare. I dreamt the kp200 just pretended to be a stereo amp. It summed the signal and redistributed it. :eek:

I am interested in your QuikLok stand. Does that floor bar force your pedals too close for comfort?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

The motion sound kp200s is a stereo amp.
Oh really? I'll have to read up on those motion sound amps. Does it have two speakers? How can you get a stereo spread from one spot?

wow, looks pretty sweet! does is sound as good as if you were to have two 10" speakers placed in a nearfield type configuration?

Yeah - it does IMO. I am very happy with the amp for live band stuff. It's versatile, weighs 50lb. However, it is NOT high fidelity, like a home stereo. It's a stage amp.

BTW, the stand that Pro uses is fairly common wherever they sell keyboard stands. Guitar guys use 'em often.

Here for the gear.

Here's a recent photo of my current rig. The only thing that can't be seen in this photo is the second Motion Sound KT80 which sits behind me on the other side. I recently added the Nord Lead 2X and I love this keyboard!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/rig_08_2004.JPG

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Rockitman:

Hey Pro, where did you get that amp stand? I hear that the KP200s should be tilted like that. I want one.

That's a common QuikLok amp stand - I don't remember the model. That's also the facory-recommeneded way to use the Motion Sound KP-200s amp, which I an a big fan of. Real stereo - and for those wondering how it gets a stereo field separation from one cabinet: it has a "spatial enhancer" control (actually it's a stereo phase control) that makes the stereo spread seem larger. It's a cool effect if you don't use too much.

To the question of whether the Monolith stand forces my pedals too close together: no... but I don't use much more than a sustain pedal anyway.

Originally posted by The Pro:

To the question of whether the Monolith stand forces my pedals too close together: no... but I don't use much more than a sustain pedal anyway.

That's funny. :D I wasn't suggesting that you had a long bank of pedals, or really wide feet. I was wondering whether the crossbar forced the sustain pedal too close to your knees. (for some reason I find it hard to describe what I mean. Maybe I'm the only one who likes stretching out a bit)

Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by The Pro:

That's funny. :D I wasn't suggesting that you had a long bank of pedals, or really wide feet. I was wondering whether the crossbar forced the sustain pedal too close to your knees. (for some reason I find it hard to describe what I mean. Maybe I'm the only one who likes stretching out a bit)
Sorry - misunderstood your question :) , but the answer is the same - no, the crossbar doesn't affect me in any way. I think the Monolith stand is the best keyboard stand I've ever owned.

I debated between the Monolith, and the Z-71. Decided on the Z-stand, and discovered the pedal problem.

I can't tell from your picture whether your music rack is a QuikLok accessory, or a regular music stand?

gs

Originally posted by eric:

I recently added the Nord Lead 2X and I love this keyboard!

Eric, I'm not surprised to see you've changed your setup, yet again. And now I see you're considering the XK-3...

What disappoints me most about the above photo is not the discovery that you're a gear slut, but that you've yet to incorporate a custom-built beer holder into your rig.

Priorities man, priorities...

Originally posted by drawback:

Yeah - it does IMO. I am very happy with the amp for live band stuff. It's versatile, weighs 50lb. However, it is NOT high fidelity, like a home stereo. It's a stage amp.

Hi Drawback, comparing your AER Compact to the kp200, is the AER more high fidelity, even comparable to home stereo (alright, home mono).

What disappoints me most about the above photo is not the discovery that you're a gear slut, but that you've yet to incorporate a custom-built beer holder into your rig.

Priorities man, priorities...

You know me well! I have been quite the gear whore lately, but keeping pretty close to the same spirit of my rig over the past few years. That's funny you mention the beer holder. My bandmates and I were just talking about that same topic the other day. I have a few ideas...most of which entail the bottle or can being a little to close for comfort to the electronics. But I'm working on it. You'll be proud that I do carry the "Mobile Speakeasy" to every gig, which is a beverage-laden cooler which fits perfectly under one of my Motion Sound soft covers. So I get to the gig and when it is time to load in, I slip the cover off of the amp and onto the cooler. This makes the cooler incognito for country clubs and such and keeps me well stocked on libations for those occasions when the band does not get bar priveleges. Furthermore, it is great to have the beverages available for those long hours between setup and gig time.

Regards,

Eric

• 1 year later...

Not too many responses to this thread the first time through I guess, but here's what I've got (plus a Fantom XR and Carvin KB1010 on the side)

http://www.cursedeternity.com/images/tnts1-21-06/dick3.JPG

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Prague:

Nice look, but you need some black tape to cover "Casio".

Hell no, my $10 Casio midi controller is the pride of my rig! (It'll be swapped out next paycheck when I can buy a good one:p)

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

http://members.cox.net/srworley/KeysWS04.jpg

Left:

Yamaha P120 Digital Piano

Right, Top to Bottom:

Memorymoog +

EMU Vintage Pro Rack

Roland MPU-103 - Midi Channel router (for Moog)

Nord Electro 73

Juno 106

Alesis Microverb (Electro)

Zoom RFX 2020 (Memorymoog)

back behind: Midi Solutions Quadra Thru & Quadra Merge

Studiomaster 12-Channel mixer

Pedals:

Momentary (Electro Leslie Sim/Piano Sustain)

Momentary (106 sustain for 106, Vintage Pro rack, etc.)

Boss Stereo Volume (Vintage Pro Rack)

Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal (Electro)

Moog 1120 cv pedal (volume)

Momentary (Moog Pgm advance)

Juno 106 is used as controller for Vintage Pro Rck and also for lower manual Electro. Can be used to control P120 as well.

Moog can also control Eledro, Vintage Pro or P120 if needed.

Current stage rig - Andromeda, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha P-90, Dynacord CLS-222, Moog Synamp, Bose 802. Rack and board are PA, which I run from the stage.

Guitar rig is Valvetronix 60w head with VC-12 pedalboard, H&K Red Box (direct into PA, no cabinet), Epiphone Genesis.

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/tour/current_stage.jpg

My live rig is pretty simple.

http://bylair.com/Ronnie/P5220087.JPG

Korg SP200 Digital Piano

Hammond XB-2

Korg N364

Not seen, My table for my beer

http://bylair.com/Ronnie/PA240016.JPG

Mackie 1202 VLZ

Motion Sound Pro 3TM

Furman Power Conditioner

Behringer Virtualizer multi effects

Behringer AutoCom Compressor

Crown XLS-402 Power amp

Pair Peavey 1-15 PA cabs loaded with Scorpions.

Does the job for me, and I can easily compete with guitar players.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

To the Real MC --

Has you Andromeda ever frozen on stage? I've heard some bad things about this synth.

Thanks,

Schmüdde

www.fermatasonata.com

----

G5/1.8, Logic Pro 7, Numerology, API 7800/7600/8200, NHT Pro A-10s, Waldorf MicroQ, Analogue Solutions Red Square, UM-880, RME Fireface 800, Oberheim OB-12, Juno-106, Reason 2.5, the concertina

Hey Tom,

Shouldn't the ponytailed one post his own photos? :confused::)

Of course we could always email our pics to you, you post them, then everyone can try to match the forum members to their rigs. A good way to see who is paying attention. :D

I started one of these threads a few months ago but did not get much interest. Got the usual batch of studio shots. I have some live shots of my gear posted around here somewhere. They all have my ugly mug in them though.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Hey Tom,

Ummmmmm, just wanted to see if anyone would notice. :rolleyes::)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Hey Tom,

Ummmmmm, just wanted to see if anyone would notice. :rolleyes::)
Well, I noticed... :thu:

Just got back in town from a week-long tour of the east coast. The rig this time out was a single Yamaha Motif ES7 with PLG-150AN plugin board. Six shows in six nights, setup time being 3 minutes, including the opening and closing of the flight case. :thu:

Oh, and I played this tour with the hair loose. ;)

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by matta:

To the Real MC --

Has you Andromeda ever frozen on stage? I've heard some bad things about this synth.

Very rarely, once or twice a year. It's been gigged steadily since 2001, but I don't recall it locking up since 2004. Pretty sturdy synth for gigging.

I've heard some bad things about the Andromeda too, most of them false. I was a beta tester and have read of stuff that ain't true, and some of them from folks who have never even PLAYED the thing. Some folks just have a personal vendetta against Alesis. Don't always believe everything you read.

Archived