Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post pictures of your LIVE rig?

mound

Sven Golly or GAS - Who plays in what band?? I'm a little confused, but it looks like that is a live shot of someone.... just wondering what the band name is? And is it the same band that just did an east coast tour? Lets have some names! I play in a band called Roots of Creation, if you've ever heard the name. We are working on dominating the Northeast, and will move on from there. Title of our next album (due in July): Unstoppable Force

"wherever you go, there you are"

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why bother practicing??"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spaceboy92:

Sven Golly or GAS - Who plays in what band?? I'm a little confused, but it looks like that is a live shot of someone....

Spaceboy, GAS posted that pic, but it's a shot of me playing in Orlando last year, with a project called Classic Albums Live . We just did a tour of eastern Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, P.E.I.) performing Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

Cheers,

SG

Spaceboy,

That's Sven on keyboards.

Honestly, I'm no musician. The only playing I do is with myself. :freak:;)

I'm only 22, but when I grow up I wanna be just like Sven.

He's my hero. :love::thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

quote:
Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

I'm only 22, but when I grow up I wanna be just like Sven.

He's my hero. :wave:

Steve, my quick setup time this tour was a complete fluke... normally it's at least double or triple that much. ;)

(the other board player on this tour had a Nord Lead, a Roland VK-7 and a third board controlling a Roland JV-2080 rack... I really loved my Motif ES that much more by the end of the week... :) )

Cheers,

SG

You were covering Floyd with just the Motif? :confused:

You mentioned 2 keyboard players. Did the other guy do the bulk of the work?

Did you have 7 splits of one octave each? :D

I usually need 30 seconds or more to set up for a PF tune with 3 boards.

Inquiring minds want to know more...

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Division of labour was pretty much me on piano, Rhodes, Wurli and various synth sounds (the bass ostinato in "On The Run" for example). The other guy covered the Hammond and the more "sound f/x" type sounds (the doppler sound in OTR, the helicopter effects, etc.)

We had a percussionist who triggered some sound f/x (footsteps off the top of "Time"), but for the most part it was all covered on the synths.

For the 'outro' tunes, I covered the brass parts in "Comfortably Numb", the synth solo in "Run Like Hell", the piano in "One Of These Days", the el. pianos in "Sheep" and "Young Lust" ... the Motif was perfect for these. I would have prefered a weighted action for "Great Gig In The Sky" and "Us And Them", but it wasn't feasible to fly out a P-250, and there are NO Yamaha pro-level backline rental houses in the Maritimes (something I'll be discussing with Yamaha Canada in the next day or two :evil: ).

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Division of labour

We had a percussionist who triggered some sound f/x (footsteps off the top of "Time"), but for the most part it was all covered on the synths.

Must be nice to have that division of labour. It must be sweet to be able to concentrate on what you are playing rather than worrying about how to slide into that next patch.

Footsteps? Is that what that is supposed to be? Our singer just hits a woodblock for that. Never quite figured out if there was some meaning to that. I have a hard enough time trying to get my drummer to keepa solid groove going let alone expect him to trigger effects.

I do have an awesome alarm clock patch to get all the bells for that intro however :D

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Must be nice to have that division of labour. It must be sweet to be able to concentrate on what you are playing rather than worrying about how to slide into that next patch.

Yep... we had an 8-piece band (including the aforementioned percussionist/vocalist, a sax player, and female singer/guitarist) for this tour. We've had bands as large as 15 onstage at any one time, including 5 guitarists for a Zeppelin album apparently (I wasn't involved in that gig; pretty sure it was Zep :) ).

Footsteps? Is that what that is supposed to be? Our singer just hits a woodblock for that. Never quite figured out if there was some meaning to that.
At the end of "On The Run" there's footsteps and a man breathing heavily, which then leads into the ticking clocks then bells for "Time". Once the bells fade, the 'tic-toc' of the woodblock starts. The sound on the album is actually a muted bass guitar being plucked on two strings (for the high/low alternating sound).

This was an incredible album to pull together, a ton of cues, lots of great parts... I loved doing this show. :D

Cheers,

SG

Archived