Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crazy to sell Rhodes?

Krakit

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just say a few words:

If your music has strong needs for the Rhodes sound, and/or you love to play the beast, keep it. If you sell it, you'll regret it later, no matter what other considerations. Of course, take into account the maintenance and weight.

On the other hand, I did sell mine. I miss it sometimes, but I considered that I am more of a piano/synth guy, and I'm more into programming my own sound, layering, etc. So when I need a prominent Rhodes sound, I program what I need for the song (can you imagine regulating a Rhodes differently for each song?!). Plus, I was sick and tired to carry it to gigs and studios. Moving the Rhodes was one reason I've a bad back now.

I think it all boils down to my connection to Harold.

I lean mostly on Synth, Piano and Organ sounds. I don't even play too many Rhodes patches.

In fact, with the exception of one recording, I haven't used this Rhodes for anything personal. Except for jamming and practice.

I do still have some notes he hand wrote on some packages and on my maintanence instructions.

Still, it's the sentiment that's making this decision hard and not the fact that it's a Rhodes.

Carl

I think I'll clean it up and tune it. I'll have to do those things in any case.

I'll write an ode to Harold. Record it as best I can with it and then decide.

If I still sell it, at least I'll have a recording and composition to maintian that ethereal link to the guy that answered all my technical questions.

If I don't, well it'll be because I've tuned it and written something especially for it.

Carl

Dear Krakit

A Rhodes (as a Hammond, a real piano, a moog...)is like a human: Real. You can't sell a relative/friend. Can you?

I already own two Rhodes's. A suitcase and a 55. I love them both. I once tried to sell the suitcase, and whenever a new guy was coming home to buy it, I was raising the price (wonder why...)! I had the same reaction towards my Hammond. Finally, I kept them all. Some times I carry the "Rhodes 55" to some good gigs, when the Electro just does'nt fit to my needs for "real" sound. It's as simple as that for me.

If you're not in a great need for cash, keep the Rhodes - if not for you, then for your "next Krakit" (boy or girl).

Regars

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

[Take it from someone who got rid of theirs, you won't miss it enough to regret selling it.

Sly :cool:

Apparently, if you read their posts closer, their pianos were not in good shape. Nothing beats a Rhodes in great shape, but nothing is such a PITA as a Rhodes in bad shape.

If Mr. Rhodes himself used the Lounge Lizard, that's fine with me, but I don't believe in this endorsement talk. It's like: Dennis Chambers is using this and that Zildjian cymbal, so I gotta get that one too in order to sound great...

LL, EVP and others are great tools, but still not close, because of the controllers you need for them (feel), because of velocity switching (sound) and you'll have other problems, like computer things. But yeah, they're lighter.

Krakit, if I'm reading your posts I would think twice and not sell it.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Boy I hate to admit it but...(ouch!)

I gave away a Rhodes 88-stage. Sold another. Sold two MemoryMoog+'s in 1992 and 1999. Sold my Hammond B2 (smooth drawbars + percussion) and Leslie 122 on ebay last month. Sold a Hohner Clav. Traded a CP80 for a motorcycle. The list goes on and on.

I love all of these instruments, but I use practicality in making sell/purchase decisions. If I had unlimited capital, then I would have kept everthing, but I don't. I do know this, if I want another Rhodes, Hammond etc. etc. I will buy another. They can still be found.

Just as a side note...It's interesting to note how "inflated" music store prices are on Hammonds/Leslies. I know, I know... but how many performers other than Churches pay the kinds of prices the stores these "B3" supermarts are asking?

Brent (Ouch!)

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that I'm hanging onto my Rhodes out of sentiment and because the religion of keyboarism holds this instrument in such high esteem.

I'm not saying that a Rhodes isn't a great instrument. It is. However, for what I do I need lots of versatility.

Nothing is better at being a Rhodes than a Rhodes, but I don't need a full time Rhodes. Not really.

I need instruments that I can bend and shape to my will.

Synths accomodate my whims. A Rhodes, although a fine instrument, is not very pliable.

Carl

Hi, Krakit

If you've decided to sell it, maybe you might want to consider either giving or selling those hand-written notes from Harold Rhodes to somebody at Rhodes Supersite (http://www.fenderrhodes.org/)who will be able to share them with the entire Rhodes community - maybe they are something which all Rhodes lovers would like to see?

You could photocopy them and give the photocopies to the buyer...

Originally posted by Guest User:

Hi, Krakit

If you've decided to sell it, maybe you might want to consider either giving or selling those hand-written notes from Harold Rhodes to somebody at Rhodes Supersite (http://www.fenderrhodes.org/)who will be able to share them with the entire Rhodes community - maybe they are something which all Rhodes lovers would like to see?

You could photocopy them and give the photocopies to the buyer...

Do you think they would be satisfied with a copy for free?

I'm not planning on ever parting with my correspondences with H. R.

Carl

Okay, how should I sell it? Anyone live close to me that wants it?

I'll clean it up and tune it.

It has no travel lid, but the original sustain pedal and hardware is there.

It is missing the Rhodes logo badge on the front.

I don't suppose anyone has an MKS-70 and PG800 to swap out even steven? :D

Carl

Carl, Carl, Carl...

You'll be sorry. I've regretted selling every non-sucky board I ever sold. Learned after about the third time.

I'm also one of the guilty ones who's sitting on a Rhodes and NEVER playing it - but that will change if my wife ever stops taking in strays - our daughter and granddaughter moved out just in time for her sister to move in. But once she's gone, that room's the studio, and the Rhodes (and Clav, and SE-4) comes out of mothballs.

Oh yeah, and happy birthday, Carl. The guys at RP gave you up... :D

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived