Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Numan "Here In My Car"

Ender

New Wave anyone? Well I heard this song in a car comercial and was wondering what synth he used for that huge padding near the intro and chorus. The sound just caught my attention immediately for that fat, rich pad paticualarly the lowest notes. Anyone know?
"The heart of the machine is evolving, the soul has emerged, and all who embrace it will reach Teknotic Nirvana." ~ Nos Tehbi "Book of the Teknos"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

My favorite part is at the end, with the counterpoint melody, slightly modulated. Whoever wrote that (Gary, perhaps) knows his shit about melodic composition. Tasty.

- Jeff

Me toooooo!!! Instant goosebumps every time I hear it!!

BTW - since I'm still a HUGE fan of Gary, folks should check out his latest CD, Hybrid. It's a 2 disc "reworking" of many older songs, as well as three new ones. These aren't just "remixes" as Gary contributed new vocals to almost all of them. More like "imagine if Down In The Park was written in 2003"! The version of "Cars" is stunning... :thu:

I love that song. I've always loved that song.

I hate that song. I've always hated that song.

Jeff, how can you love Gary Numan and bash Phil Collins? Good grief, Charlie Brown! ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Jeff, how can you love Gary Numan and bash Phil Collins?

Hmmm, let's see, how can I do that? Pretty easily, as it turns out! :D

C'mon Dan...admit to me that "Cars" is a better song than "Sussudio", "I Can't Dance", "Invisible Touch" and the theme from (insert Disney movie here). ;)

- Jeff

- Jeff

Jeff, how can you love Gary Numan and bash Phil Collins?

Hmmm, let's see, how can I do that? Pretty easily, as it turns out! :D

C'mon Dan...admit to me that "Cars" is a better song than "Sussudio", "I Can't Dance", "Invisible Touch" and the theme from (insert Disney movie here). ;)

- Jeff

- Jeff

Well, Jeff-Jeff - are you related to Jar-Jar?

Cars is definitely a worse song than Sussudio, if that's even possible. At least Phil can sing. I saw Gary perform Cars on Saturday Night Live back in the day. Now I know why Super Bowl performances are always pre-taped. Holy Auto-tune, Batman, this guy SUCKS!

:)

Originally posted by tom fiala:

While I haven't seen the video in quite a while, I thought they were playing a bunch of Prophet's

For some reason, I seem to remember that in the video for "Cars" there were something like two, maybe three different guys all playing MiniMoogs...am I having an acid flashback?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Cars is definitely a worse song than Sussudio, if that's even possible.

And there it is...the proof that Dan and I will never, ever even come close to agreeing about this.

But we both like Beethoven, so I guess our tastes split only as recently as 180 years ago. :)

- Jeff

Cars vs. Sussudio? Gimme a break - besides being a (really bad) total ripoff of Prince's "1999," Sussudio was (and still is) awful.

I love "Cars." GREAT tune!

Lots of other cool Gary Numan tunes. "Down In the Park," "Change Your Mind," "Are Friends Electric," ...

If I'm not mistaken it's a polymoog.
Actually, I believe that's an urban myth. The synth that Numan used for this album was most definitely a Nord Lead.

http://www.clavia.com/pictures/nordlead2/NL2leftperspectivesmall.jpg

;)

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by tom fiala:

While I haven't seen the video in quite a while, I thought they were playing a bunch of Prophet's

For some reason, I seem to remember that in the video for "Cars" there were something like two, maybe three different guys all playing MiniMoogs...am I having an acid flashback?

dB

The "Cars" video with everybody playing Minimoogs is the SNL performance they did in '79

Originally posted by HCMF:

The "Cars" video with everybody playing Minimoogs is the SNL performance they did in '79

Nope. This was an actual video with very cheesy late-70s camera effects. Gary was looking proto-goth, and there were indeed several serious-looking dudes lined up, all playing Minis. In fact, one scene has a miniature Gary standing while superimposed to be "moving" across rows and rows of keys on the Moogs. :thu:

- Jeff

"There's a girl who's been on my mind..."

At least Phil THINKS about girls. Not so sure about GN.

This thread reminds me how bizarre keyboard players can be. But wait, Jeff's a guitarist. That kind of throws a monkey wrench into the theory. ;)

Sussdio a rip-off of 1999? How can a good song be a rip-off of a stupid song. Prince is worse than Gary Numan and twice as ugly.

Well, come to think of it, Prince had ONE good song - Little Red Corvette. I'll have to check out Gary's other material to see whether there's anything interesting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff, I suggest that you buy Face Value and listen to it over and over again until you come to your senses. :D

"There's a girl who's been on my mind..."

At least Phil THINKS about girls. Not so sure about GN.

Ah, the old "Gary Numan is gay.." thing - I heard that back in fourth grade.

Interesting that his wife, Gemma, is 7 months pregnant currently... :rolleyes:

Archived