Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NFL survival pool

Dave Bryce

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dave-G:

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Besides, Brian Urlacher will probably knock Jeff Garcia and his bad back out of the game if not the season. :evil:

Bite your tongue, Man!! It's karmically unwise to wish for, or predict the injury of any football player. This usually results in something bad happening to your team. And besides, regardless of who you're rooting for, Jeff Garcia is one of the most dynamic QBs in the entire league, and his absence would be a big downer on the whole season.

-dave

ps: Phillipines? I lived in Subic for a couple of years as a kid. Niiice!

Sorry, definitely not a wish, but still a prediction. Garcia's a stud, but I too have a bad back and that is definitely something y'all should keep an eye on in this pool, niners ain't got a chance without him.

And ya, karma is nasty and the last thing the Bears need.

You should come back here Dave for a visit...y'all should, for a vacation this is the place to go...just stay out of Manila..except for some nightlife :thu:

Sorry for the OT...back to the pool...

Raul

(snip).....about half of the people playing get eliminated in the first few weeks

Well, if Miami goes down, this will happen in the first week.

Yep.

I'm considering changing my pick to distance myself in case of such a catastrophe.

Dave... shake yourself. The freakin' Tex-annes are a JV team. The Dolphins are a bona fide defensive force. You'll (we'll) be fine.

I don't care if it's the Philly-TB-Raider All-Stars, look at Miami's September home record. I'm not sure if they've lost in the last 10 years. Now if it's December in Houston, I'm...passing on the game.

Well, my strategy may be flawed, but at least I'm crazy. :freak:

See, if I don't lose this week, then I'll be one up on everybody, because I've won with a poor team. I'm saving my good teams for later in the season. If there IS a later for me... besides "Later, Bunny!" ;)

Originally posted by Bunny.:

See, if I don't lose this week, then I'll be one up on everybody, because I've won with a poor team. I'm saving my good teams for later in the season.

Maybe not a good strategy. Most people are lucky to make it to week 4, as a rule...hey, I could be wrong...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Bunny.:

What can I say? I didn't want to just run with the pack and take Miami. This is why I don't gamble. ;)

I swear, IF I make it past week 1, I'll make much safer choices after that point.

Whatever works for you, brother Bunny.

What works for me is to pick the team that I want to pick, regardless of what everyone else is doing. What always takes me out is when I try to be clever.

However, I've only won the survival pool once in all the years I've been playing it, so I may not be the guy who you want to listen to... ;)

dB

Moving the updated list to the new page:

Week 1

--------

dB - Miami

TinderArts - Denver

Weasel - Denver

Thrashole - New England

Steve L - Dallas

Rader Ranch - Buffalo

Griffinator - Indy

Ignatius Riley - Indy

Ouizel - Indy

Flyscots - Miami

Rabid - Miami

Dave-G - Miami

Llarion - TB

Jackpine - Miami

Geoff Grace - Miami

Dementia13 - Miami

Magpel - Miami

Keybass - St. Louis

SFOracle - Miami

Bunny - Detroit

Berkleeboi - New England

Sergievsky - Chicago

Nitecrawler - Tennessee

Postman - Indy

Meccajay - Indy

Ski - Miami

SteveRB - KC

Mark Zeger - Arizona

steadyb - Green Bay

Yamis - Miami

Biggus - Jacksonville

Radiospace - Miami

Eric Worthington - SF

Jack Ortman - Rams

Bela D - Eagles

Note: rather than reposting the list every time someone else joins us, this post will be edited to reflect all new picks on this page

dB

Originally posted by dementia13:

[

I don't care if it's the Philly-TB-Raider All-Stars, look at Miami's September home record. I'm not sure if they've lost in the last 10 years. Now if it's December in Houston, I'm...passing on the game.[/QB]

Little different this Sept. It doesn't come down to talent or win percentage now. Greise is out 6 weeks.

It takes just 1 bad sack, and if Jay gets hurt at QB then Sage Rosenfeld takes over and Miami is reduced to being...

The Seahawks

TROLL . . . ish.

Oh, no they wouldn't!!
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Oh yes, they would. :)

And...it's happened before. We've had over half the pool GONE in week one after an upset. It's actually more fun when more people are still in after a few weeks, so since there's no $$$ riding on this pool, I wish everyone the best.

- Jeff

OK, I'm gonna get my pick in under the wire here... I'll go with

Jacksonville :eek::thu: (I'm using this one in our office suicide pool, to which is for $$, so I hope I'm not completely screwed)

Why are all you Miami guys wasting the Fish week one? Yeah, they're probably a lock over the Texans, but why waste em' week one?

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Originally posted by Biggus:

Why are all you Miami guys wasting the Fish week one? Yeah, they're probably a lock over the Texans, but why waste em' week one?

Cause as I mentioned earlier, they got no back up QB. Greise's out 6 weeks. Gotta grab 'em while there hot.
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Rabid:

At least Miami is at home. Indy is on the road and you never really know how the Ohio teams are going to play.

Robert

Yeah that's why I'll continue posting in the other NFL thread(I picked Indy), cause I'll prolly be banished back there on Monday anyways..

Im just holding onto hope cause Im expecing big things from E. James this year. That and a few less audibles from Payton.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Biggus:

Yeah, they're probably a lock over the Texans, but why waste em' week one?

Biggus, I play a suicide (or "survivor", to be nice) pool every year. And every year, someone concerned about wasting picks gets dumped by week three.

It's rare for these pools to last more than 7-8 weeks without a winner. I'd rather take my chances later in the season than be bumped at the start.

That having been said, the karma gods are now going to have Cincy beat the Horsies and I'm screwed. :D

- Jeff

Interesting. I've done traditional pools before, but never a Suicide/Survivor pool (insert your jab at the rookie here :D ). I still like the Jags this week, though...

I got Cincy over the Horsies in the traditional pool this week, BTW...

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Because, Biggus, it's not really Miami we're betting on. It's the Texans. And if they look "good" enough, we can ride 'em all year! Last year, Cincy came up money again and again for me. It was when I changed horses to the Chargers, who were 6-1 or whatever and playing at home against the 2-5 Jets...And the Jets beat 'em by 40 or so.

The Moral, as the weasel says, is to pick losers, not winners. Well, that's one approach at least.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived