Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NFL survival pool

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

One other small rule - you can only take each team once in a season; so, for example, if you pick the Buccaneers in Week 1, you can't use them again in any subsequent weeks. dB

"If you pick the Buccaneers in week 1..."? What are you trying to say? That first game is against the Eagles on Monday night. I personally resent the implication!

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Eric Worthington:

One other small rule - you can only take each team once in a season; so, for example, if you pick the Buccaneers in Week 1, you can't use them again in any subsequent weeks. dB

"If you pick the Buccaneers in week 1..."? What are you trying to say? That first game is against the Eagles on Monday night. I personally resent the implication!
Fret not, that was merely a hypothetical example from our Eagle-fan/Raider fan schizoid moderator. :P

-dave

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

Originally posted by dave-G:

Fret not, that was merely a hypothetical example from our Eagle-fan/Raider fan schizoid moderator. :P

A) Dave is correct - it was hypothetical, based on the fact that the Bucs are the Super Bowl champs and looked pretty unbeatable at the end of last year.

B) I will DEFINITELY be pulling for Philly in Week 1 - I love Da Boids!

C) Schizoid? Excuse me? Mr Niners/Bucs? Hel-loooooo.... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'm VERY in... but when do we have to have our picks in by? Injuries and such will obviously weigh, so what's the latest we can call our shots?

While some survival pools make you do all of your picks at the beginning of the season before anyone can see any team play for real, we do each week's picks on a weekly basis.

dB

I'm VERY in... but when do we have to have our picks in by? Injuries and such will obviously weigh, so what's the latest we can call our shots?

While some survival pools make you do all of your picks at the beginning of the season before anyone can see any team play for real, we do each week's picks on a weekly basis.

dB

I did one of those "pick all teams at beginning of year" pool. It's damn near impossible...and if you can do that, by all means, take it to Vegas and make some serious dough on it!

- Jeff

Originally posted by Phait:

However, I'm concerned about the legalities of any online contest like that, as I'm sure would be Mr. Bryce and the MusicPlayer people.
How is this illegal if the owner consents to giving it away?
Very. ;)

If I was going to give away my crappy (and somewhat broken) old keyboard based on nothing more than the goodness of my heart, no problem. But as soon as it's attached to any form of contest, there are laws that govern the activity.

Again, I'd gladly do it, but much like the compilation CDs from this forum not being for sale and hence eaily accomplishable, let's not complicate the pool by making it for specific gain.

And...uh...GO RAIDERS. :thu:

- Jeff

I'm up for it, count me in.

Last year, I knew very little about the game and really didnt even like it, so I took some advice that got me ousted in round one! This year I know more, still nothing compared to the rest of you, but at least I like the sport now after playing it, so I'm going it alone and taking no advice. Wish me luck.

By the way, how long did it last for last year & who won? It looked like a lot of fun but I was totally out of touch with the forums for a while.

------------------

Edit.

I just did the search and discovered that Mr Moderator won half way through the season. Well done Dave.

------------------

Good luck everyone!

John Scotsman

• 2 weeks later...

It begins...

Week 1

dB - Miami

TinderArts - Denver

Weasel - Denver

Thrashole - New England

Steve L - Dallas

Rader Ranch - Buffalo

Griffinator - Indy

Ignatius Riley - Indy

Ouizel - Indy

Flyscots - Miami

Rabid - Miami

Dave-G - Miami

Llarion - TB

Jackpine - Miami

Geoff Grace - Miami

Dementia13 - Miami

Magpel - Miami

Keybass - St. Louis

SFOracle - Miami

Bunny - Detroit

Please not that I will just update this post as people's picks come in...

dB

haha...yeah maybe but as far as I'm concerned if Dallas is going to win a game this year, this is the one. All the other games look pretty unpredictable to me this early in the season.

I think Atlanta will be a disappointment this year and Dallas has improved a bit. Of course, I could be totally wrong...I'm no up to speed this year yet...We'll see what Atlanta's defense brings this week, they'll be the difference.

;)

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Originally posted by Phait:

However, I'm concerned about the legalities of any online contest like that, as I'm sure would be Mr. Bryce and the MusicPlayer people.
How is this illegal if the owner consents to giving it away?
Very. ;)

If I was going to give away my crappy (and somewhat broken) old keyboard based on nothing more than the goodness of my heart, no problem. But as soon as it's attached to any form of contest, there are laws that govern the activity.

Again, I'd gladly do it, but much like the compilation CDs from this forum not being for sale and hence eaily accomplishable, let's not complicate the pool by making it for specific gain.

And...uh...GO RAIDERS. :thu:

- Jeff

Well then we'll all shut up about it and you can just give it to "someone" when the contest is over, K? :)

Steve maybe onto something.

Ive seen alot of Atlanta, and if it's ANY team that is clearly out of sync in preseason and in danger of thier preseason form spilling into there regular season, it's the Falcon's. Ther O-line is atrocious!!!!

Hey, you guys picking Denver better be careful. The horsie's maybe walking into a hornets nest.

Cincy's clearly not good enough to beat them but if it one game that will give Marvin motivational fuel for the season...it's this one. Be careful.

TROLL . . . ish.

Ok, What the hell, I'm in.

Week 1- Indy (of course)

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Hey, you guys picking Denver better be careful.

In as much as I want to stay in the pool, I'd be gleeful if the hapless Bengals beat the Horsies in the first week!

But no, I don't think that'll happen. ;)

- Jeff

Okay, I think I got everyone up to this point.

For those of you who have never played one of these before, you may be in for a surprise. Traditionally, about half of the people playing get eliminated in the first few weeks, because no one really knows which teams are in what form until about week 4.

:evil::D

Who else wants to play? Step on up...

dB

err, umm, I suppose I should've been paying attention to the pre-season form, but I haven't, so I'm gonna go for Miami. Seems safe enough (gulp, last words?)

I'm looking forward to the Titans-Raiders & Bucs-Eagles games.

I am torn between betting on who I think has the best chance to win, betting against who I hate, and taking a chance on a marginal team and getting a team out of the way. The teams I most wanted to bet against are playing at home, so ...

Miami is my choice for first week winner.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived