Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Vol. 6 - now accepting submissions

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

yeah normally I think everyone would be ok with making an exception but because the criteria for this comp was discussed at length and all parties pretty much agreed on the rules for this particular CD, I think we need to stick to them.

You could re-record this piece live. :)

There is not a chance in hell of me being able to pull this off live. I'd have to spend weeks practicing it to get it up to speed.

That's cool. I'll bow out gracefully. I wasn't aware that the comp required live performances only.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Griffinator:

yeah normally I think everyone would be ok with making an exception but because the criteria for this comp was discussed at length and all parties pretty much agreed on the rules for this particular CD, I think we need to stick to them.

You could re-record this piece live. :)

There is not a chance in hell of me being able to pull this off live. I'd have to spend weeks practicing it to get it up to speed.

That's cool. I'll bow out gracefully. I wasn't aware that the comp required live performances only.

maybe I can quickly record a version of it for you at the tail end of my track ;) J/K, you know me brah..haha

I'd love to hear someone do a live interpretation of the piece. I just don't have the chops to execute something like that. My skills on instruments have always been inferior to my composition skill. Hell, the only reason I bothered to learn piano, guitar, bass, was so I could better understand (and therefore compose) for them.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay, guys - it's August.

I will officially be accepting submissions for the piano compilation all month long, or until I get enough material to fill up an 80 minute CD.

Send a 16 bit/44.1kHz Red Book CD to:

dB

Dave, are there any other ways you'll accept submissions? My piece is ready, but my preference is to put it up on my server and have you pull it down at your convenience. Would that be okay?

Thanks,

r33k

Originally posted by Michael Erwin:

My piece is ready, but my preference is to put it up on my server and have you pull it down at your convenience. Would that be okay?

Well, my preference is to have everyone send me hard copies of their stuff - it's a reliability/back-up thing.

However, if that's what you want to do, that's fine. I can certainly make the hard copy CD for you.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

So I took one of my favorite Beatles' songs ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds") and arranged it in Bartok's style. It's mostly in odd signatures - 5 for the verse, 7 for the chorus, with a few twists in the middle.

I am looking forward to hearing this, Carlo. It sounds fantastic :)

let me know if/when you wanna try to do it. :thu:

I suggest Saturday, 8/16.

Steadyb may wanna get in on this as well...maybe we should wait until 8/16 so we have time to do all three of us.

Yo, steadyb -

Me and Steve are gonna mic my piano and cut our tracks on Saturday. Are you in? :thu:

You best be, boyeeeee - this comp was your idea, and there ain't nothing like the real thing... ;):D

dB

Originally posted by steadyb:

What time Saturday were you guys thinking about?

I've pretty much got the whole day put aside for it.

I figure we can start around 10:30-11ish, and hopefuly get all three of us done by late afternoon/dinnertime.

Of course we'll need to do cheesesteaks for lunch from the Hoagie House in Moorpark. :thu:

Are ya in?

dB

I will do my best to be available for the session. I just got back from my vacation to a mountain of Apple/Emagic stuff to do.

I'm planning on coming, but won't be able to confirm until Friday afternoon/eve.

Tentatively...yes, I'll see you guys Saturday Having a good cheesesteak is almost reason enough. (Did you say there was a Jack-in-the-Box near your house??? ;):P:eek: )

Okay, guys - it's August.

Only piano music - piano is defined as acoustic, electric, sampled, modeled and/or layered. NO OTHER INSTRUMENTS!

dB

dB

I hope this is not a dumb question, but I assumed that a sampled EP is OK. Is that a safe assumption?

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Hi Dave,

are you still accepting submissions?

I can get you a CD the week of the 25th August, if you still have room.

Any style? The tune I have in mind is a slow mood piece, nothing technically pyrotechnical.

Are you going to master?

Dan

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

Are you going to master?

Dan

No, we're sending this one to the "Schneck-a riffic" Distortoverload Mastering House in Philly (a.k.a. Denny's) to give it that special "Curved" dynamic range. :rolleyes::eek:

Or we can just let Dave handle it. :thu:

Originally posted by DanS:

Hi Dave,

are you still accepting submissions?

Yes.

I can get you a CD the week of the 25th August, if you still have room.
Fine.

Any style?
Any style.

The tune I have in mind is a slow mood piece, nothing technically pyrotechnical.
Cool. As long as you're proud of it, send it on over.

Are you going to master?
:eek::D

I'm gonna try... ;)

dB

Originally posted by Gulliver:

It seems like my piece is ready, well... composition wise ready. Now I have to find some extra time to record it. When is the deadline?

I hope near the end of September...

Actually, it' supposed to be the end of August. Since it's supposed to be a one-shot recording, I didn't figure it'd take that long...

dB

Originally posted by Krakit:

Dave, could you please review (for my benifit) what is exceptable media for submissions?

For example, would you be allowed to send a cassette?

No, thank you...

Could you email a wav or mp3 file?[/QB]
No mp3 files, either. Depending on the length of your piece, a .WAV file would be pretty large and might not email so easily - but you're welcome to try if that's what you want to do; or, you can post it on an FVTP site somewhere and I'll download it.

I'd really rather just have you send me a CD...

dB

Archived