Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Go Seahawks!!! :thu::thu::thu:

Isn't it just silly to put the words "go" and "Seahawks" in the same sentence? :eek:

Welcome back, b. :)

- Jeff

No, because of the existence of "reverse gear". :D

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

The Broncos will be getting their shit together this whole season.

Man! Why, you...ooh...you better start praying the Broncos don't win one those games, because if they do, boy, there's a raft of the nasty, stinkiest, ooziest shit it'll ever be your displeasure to experience coming your way. :mad:

And if the Broncos win both? Heh, heh, heh... :evil:

Boy, this is gonna be a great season. Pats win their second Lombardi in three years, and I get to watch Jeff and Postman go at it all year long about Denver and LA.

Err, that is until the playoffs, when N.E. rolls over both of them en route to that second trophy :)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Boy, this is gonna be a great season. Pats win their second Lombardi in three years, and I get to watch Jeff and Postman go at it all year long about Denver and LA.

Err, that is until the playoffs, when N.E. rolls over both of them en route to that second trophy :)

What about that running game, hoss? :) Antowain didn't get off to a good start... And the O-line is suspect on the right side..

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Hmmm. New England. Lombardi Trophy. Which of these two doesn't belong? Your O-Line is suspect.

The Broncos might take two games from the Cards. Not the Raiders. And, I think my Steelers will have some motivation against the LA, er, Oakland Raiders after being humiliated last year (anyone know what week, and where? I'm too damn lazy to check the Steeler website :bor:;) )

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

You guys are attacking New England's offensive line as if they had a great line when they won the superbowl 2 years ago. They haven't had a decent running game since Curtis Martin went to the Jets, but they've won games with defense and special teams. With the addition of Colvin and Harrison on defense, the Patties are going to be a defensive force again. They won't need the tuck rule to win it all this year.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I get to watch Jeff and Postman go at it all year long about Denver and LA.

:eek::rolleyes:

Bite your tongue, man.

Oakland. Not LA. Oakland.

:mad:;)

dB

Whatever. Oakland, LA, Oakland, LA - he'll move back there in a few years when the Bay area pisses him off again.

I will refrain from making too many demeaning comments regarding the silver and black until they play a real game. the pats defense will be pretty good this year but they still have to score some points to win games. solid line play on both sides of the ball is the key to making it through the season and beyond in my opinion.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Oak vs Frisco tonight.....anything special we should ook out for?
Al davis filing another lawsuit?

Terrell Owens going to the Raiders bench, stepping up on it, and doing a celebratory dance after a touchdown?

How long until the 9ers realize that Dennis Erickson is a facade as a coach? I still can't understand why the 9ers ditched the Mooch...

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

How long until the 9ers realize that Dennis Erickson is a facade as a coach? I still can't understand why the 9ers ditched the Mooch...[/QB]
Im totally feeling you on that one bro, I just have no clue about this hiring. I really hate when teams waste prime years of great players like T.O. and Garcia. Garcia's banged up right now, so Dennis is bound to get a free ride this year. Damn shame. I do hope were wrong.
TROLL . . . ish.

The whole Mooch firing thing was such a shady deal. Too many egos in the SF Front office. Apparently, when Mooch entered negotiations ona new contract he asked for say in personell decisions - but Mooch denies this. Mooch did say that Bill Walsh spread this as a rumour to Donahue and York and the next thing he knew he was getting a phone call from Dr. York in the middle of the night screaming at him.

Mooch deserved a bit more loyalty from the organization. He was hired as coach by Carmen Policy - who skipped for Cleveland taking Clark with him (that was a good thing as the Policy - Clark years were very poor management). For a short period, there was no GM, the owner (Eddie DeBartello) was under suspension and fueding outright with his sister who was representing the family ownership position temporarily, we were facing massive salary cap issues, a draft and there was no management. Mooch and Tom McVay held it together (and had a winning season) until the Yorks, Eddie and the NFL sorted out the ownership picture, hired a GM (Donahue) and setup a front office.

Mooched coached a winning season when Jerry Rice went down (and Owens emerged), and if Garrison Heast was not injured in the last game of the season, we might have gone all the way that year.

True - now Donahue and Walsh went out and got Garcia and Charlie Garner for bargain basement prices, enabling us to add some mid range free agents to fill in the holes, and we drafted well (Andre Carter, Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer, Jamie Winborn etc.), but I think a lot of the credit for the dramatic turnaround from 4-12 to 12-4 was coaching.

Ericksen's first NFL stint in Seattle was an unmitigated disaster. In fact I would say he was largely responsible for destroying a former rookie of the year QB Rick Meyer. But he did a great job of rebuilding in Oregon, so I won't be calling for his head yet.

And you're right, with Garcia possibly out, the loss of Chike OKeafor at LDE, the loss of Dana Stubblefield at DT and now Bryant Young to miss the next 2 weeks following surgery, Ericksen will get a pass the first year. But next year is not too promising either.

The front office has failed so far to negotiate a contract extension for Terrell Owens. We also have a bunch of young free agents next year including Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer, Jason Webster, Tai Streets and John Engleberger.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Sorry to hear about all that SF Oracle. It's better when were all looking forward to and enjoying our teams season's.

Well, no consalation, but look at it this way, we all go thru dissapointments here at sometime during the season('cept for phil last year), At least you don't get your heart broken late in the season/playoffs like we will.

TROLL . . . ish.

I'm not totally pessemistic about the 49ers this year. Denise Ericksen seems like an intelligent guy and he was hugely successful at both Miami and Oregon State. Some of his mediocre record in Seattle could be attributed to really poor ownership.

I still think Marriuci got a raw deal, but he has a great chance to start over in Detroit - with another young team and promising young QB.

If Jeff Garcia's back is good to go in the next couple of weeks - at least we will have had a chance to see much more or Tim Rattay, Brandon Doman and Ken Dorsey. Of the bunch, I think Dorsey is the QB of the future.

Most of the team that won the NFC West last year is intact, and the team is fairly young, so many of these players are now into their 3rd season and set to breakout.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

This thread is way out of control already! Nine pages?!? And a lot of it has nothing to do with the Eagles whatsoever!

Anyway, my question is, do the ESPN anchors just make stuff up? I was watching highlights of the Eagles game, where McNabb connects with Freddie Mitchell for an opening drive touchdown. The woman says, "And McNabb hooks up with his favorite receiver Freddie Mitchell, who has led the Eagles in receptions the last two years."

WHAT? Mitchell has been on the team the last two years, and that's about all. I don't think he's ever even led the team in catches for one game. And he can't be McNabb's "favorite receiver" when he's rarely played, doesn't get open when he does, and therefore doesn't get passes thrown his way. This year could be his breakout (we said the same thing last year, BTW), but ya gotta wonder sometimes about those anchors (sports and real news) and how they can sweepingly (mis)characterize something in one (completely erroneous) sentence.

Originally posted by Eric Worthington:

The woman says, "And McNabb hooks up with his favorite receiver Freddie Mitchell, who has led the Eagles in receptions the last two years."

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was thinking about Thrash when she said Mitchell. Or perhaps it's just carelessness, or whatever.

ESPN is still the best sports broadcaster, I believe, thugh Fox does good work for certain events. Like, Fox is better with hockey while ESPN/ABC (it's all Disney, ya know) is better with football.

- Jeff

Oh, boy, I can hardly talk. I'm... I'm overwhelmed. I just finished watching the first half of the Oakland/San Francisco game and I, well, I'm starting to see the light. There's a certain palpable feeling up here in Denver, and I'm not afraid to say that's it's -- this is hard to say -- fear. Yes, fear. I mean, phew, that Oakland first team offense. Wow! How can any team compete with such a... a machine. Twenty-four points in just a few possesions, I don't know how any team could be so efficient -- wait, my memory is failing me (so embarrassing), it wasn't twenty-four, it was twenty-seven, right? Or was it twenty-one? I can't remem-- oh, it's coming to me, uh, uh, yes! They scored

Z E R O

Nada. Nil. Zip. Nothin'. Bupkus. Gosh, how can the Broncos ever hope to compete with a team that scores zero points in a half? I think the Broncos should just forfeit. You know, save us Coloradans the humiliation. Please, please don't bring that dominating, destructive force to Mile High. Please?

Seriously, it was a tough night for the Raider O, but there were some good things to note. I mean, we all know now that the Raiders can still head-butt with the best of 'em. That's encouraging.

:P:P:P <-- like synchronised swimming, only better

You're joking, right?

Hel-looooooooo...Earth to Postman...pre-season.... :rolleyes:

C'mon, dude - the old guys are trying not to get hurt... ;)

Laugh while you can, monkey boy. Just remember - they are the defending AFC champions, and Mr. Gannon was still League MVP last year.

We'll see what we see in September. :D:evil::thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

D'oh! That's two years in a row... Kinda stings the East Bay pride.

At least it's only a pre-season game.

Pretty unspectacular game, really, until the 4th quarter. I thought the Raiders might pull it off there at the end. Oh, well...

My favorite team beaten by my 2nd favorite team. Again.

Originally posted by thrashole369:

yeah, it was preseason but...

...I still loved watching Gannon and his incredible passing attack. What did he go 3 for 11?

:rolleyes::bor:

Love it while you can. :evil:

Talk to me when it counts.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That was about the worst pre-season game so far this year, Fargus was the shiznik! I wonder what he'd have done if not for the damn penalties. Maybe 200 yards?!

The 1st team Offense looked awful for the Raiders, and Friso doesn't even have a 1st team offense yet, but as mentioned it's pre-season. The O-line for Oakland is way outta sync, and Gannon looked very tentative and unconfident, but he'll get his mojo back by reg season week 2(week 1-vs Titan's). Oh well, don't want to be too critical cause my Titan's are on ESPN tommorrow night.

TROLL . . . ish.

As you all know (since you're knowledgeable fans, right?), pre-season is a nice time for new people to try out for the team, and for starters to warm up a little. Historically, there's been little correlation between pre-season performance and regular season win/loss record.

While Rick Mirer did fine, but he's not the guy who'll be leading the Raiders to another AFC title. So, in case your memories are short (and whose aren't?), here's a little press quote from last year at this time:

"Meanwhile, Oakland has played dismally in exhibition losses to Dallas and Tennessee. The Raiders' defense allowed five touchdowns and a field goal in the first three possessions of both games, while the offense has yet to show its strength despite the return of nearly every regular from last season."

See you in the regular season. :evil:;)

- Jeff

Archived