Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

COVER CD: They're in!

Dave Bryce

Wow, guys... Thanks!! :)

After doing some more music in my home studio I think that I put a little bit too many parts and sounds into "No More "I Love You's" back then. It was the very first song I did from start to finish in my former bed-room and now I feel as I a kind of did too much with that one... Now I try opposite approach - to hold back myself during production process (which is not as easy as it seems :D ).

But hey, thanks anyway! :cool:

Vlad :wave:

I am back.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gulliver:

After doing some more music in my home studio I think that I put a little bit too many parts and sounds into "No More "I Love You's" back then.

Sometimes "less is more" as with "Deja Vu".

Sometimes "more is more", as with your tune.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my submission, Deja Vu. I don't know that I could pick a winner as there were so many excellent pieces. I'm particularly impressed with the sonic quality coming out of many of the more modest setups. Great stuff.

Busch.

Cover CD hit TequiLand in excellent conditions.

I'm listening to it right now.

Once again, thanks everybody !!!!!!!!!!!

:thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Cover CD hit TequiLand in excellent conditions.

Oops, and that's considering the fact that Mexico is a neighbor to the States... :rolleyes:

In this case it's no wonder that I still didn't receive my copies! :(

Hope to get them soon though :love: !

BTW, just today I got the new (May) issue of Keyboard magazine... :eek:

I am back.

Yeah!!!

I just got my copy and you guys smoke. (Thanks Dave!)

Don't have any individual comments yet. It's still a blur of vivid images. I've listened to it once through. My first impression is that the sound quality is much better on this recording than on the first double cd. My second impression is that some of you are sequencer virtuosi... I'll be asking lots of questions. ;)

Picture me with a wall to wall grin on my face with headphones and my 5 AM coffee. :D

Thank you for this.

Jerry

Okay, finally my copies arrived as well. :)

I must say this little CD is full of pleasant surprises.

My BIG THANKS goes to: Dave, Steve, Dan, Janet and to all the participants

(well, except myself of course :D:D ).

It's really cool to be with you on the same CD.

You guys (and gals) RULE! ! ! :thu:

vLAD

I am back.

Sorry for my late arrival, but I'm just now getting around to posting my impressions of this fine compilation!

- Magpel, thanks for the compliment on my submission. I had a lot of fun with it!

- "No More 'I Love You's'" - this alone could be used as a tutorial for creative arranging and sequencing. Like a sonic kaleidoscope. I love it. Great job!

- "Prelude And Fugue In D Major" - Carlo, Wendy (Walter) Carlos has nothing on you! And I like the contrast of going from electronic to acoustic.

- "Deja Vu" - Now, this is the kind of "smooth jazz" I can listen to for days! Wonderful blend of subtle and spicy. And I have got to get a B4!

- "Love The One You're With" - What a cool arrangement! Almost sounds like TOP, with Emilio singing lead. Interesting decision to go into a guitar solo instead of the expected B3 glissando. Nice little twist!

- "Canadian Sunset" - Very nice big band arrangement! Sounds like you've done quite a few of those. Too bad the Triton's demo sequences aren't this cool.

- "Proclamation" - I can only imagine what a fun chore it must have been to duplicate a tune of this complexity. You nailed the mood, though. I can almost feel stoned just listening to it!

- "What Child Is This" - I can tell you right now, I'm going to be playing this one a lot this Christmas. I love the percussion. Very innovative, yet fits the tune nicely.

- "Walking On The Moon" - Excellent tribute to Stewart's drumming, nice shimmering guitar parts. I like the whispery, Michael Franks-ish vocals. Gives it kind of a jazzy flavor. Great stuff!

- "This Is Not America" - Hard to go wrong when you've got Take 6 singing with you! Especially on a nice tune with such a good arrangement. Nice job!

- "Streetbeater" - Ooohh, this is the big one! Takes me right back to the `70's, except they never sounded so good! I like the "Rockford Files" quote that starts the synth solo. Did I mention that I need a B4?

- "Night Birds" - Gus, did you say you played the piano part live, with no quantizing? Nice arrangement and recording! Muy bien, amigo!

- "Heartbreaker" - I've never been much of a Stones fan, but I dug this version. Mick's vocals certainly never sounded that good!

- "Children Of Sanchez" - I have to admit this is one of my faves on the CD. Wonderful sound and arrangement. Nice "flute" solo, too.

- "La Steaua" - I'll admit the first time I heard this it startled me a bit, just because it was so different from anything I normally listen to. After I heard it a few times it grew on me, and now I really dig it! That Reaktor synth tone is one of the iciest, edgiest sounds I've ever heard. It contrasts beautifully with your rich, deep singing voice.

- "Jockey Full Of Bourbon" - Dark, funky tune. Again, almost disturbing, but I dug it. Nice slinky, slithering lead synth work!

- "Macarena" - If anyone had told me a year ago that I would be digging this tune, I would have laughed at them! Too bad your version didn't come out first. Cool blend of Latin, jazz, `70's disco, and everything else you threw into the pot for this one. And that woman... I think I need a cold shower!

- "The Light Dies Down On Broadway" - How can you not love that old Genesis stuff? Again, I don't remember it sounding this good, though! Dave, you're a modern synth hero! No wonder they picked you to lead this forum!

This is already one of my favorite CD's. Everybody did such a great job on this. I really feel flattered to be in such good company. And the cover art and mastering are world class! UBB only allows me 8 smileys per post, so everybody share these;

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

- "Heartbreaker" - I've never been much of a Stones fan, but I dug this version. Mick's vocals certainly never sounded that good!

Steve ......it's all in the lips and I don't think the Stones use the Audix 0m2 microphone .

thank you .......dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by Bucktunes:

- "No More 'I Love You's'" - this alone could be used as a tutorial for creative arranging and sequencing. Like a sonic kaleidoscope. I love it. Great job!

Steve, thanks!

I still feel like despite of all the effort I put into this song it still sounds a bit ... overdone :D and over compressed, I guess :confused: . The majority of the other tunes on the CD (including yours) sound more natural. By the way, I really dig your version of Elton's tune.

Cheers!

Vladislav

I am back.

Thanks, Vlad! Glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully, Elton would like it, too! :D

I suppose it's only natural to want to second guess your own work after the fact. I think that just means the creative juices are always flowing. I never have trouble finding fault with something I've done.

I think "natural sounding" is a subjective matter. For a tune like yours that's obviously an electronic arrangement, it's cool to sound electronic. Or as Jan Hammer once said, "Sometimes you want grass and trees, sometimes you want neon and chrome." I think you did just fine! :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Steve:

Thank You for the compliment on Canadian Sunset. I don't normally do big band stuff, but, it was my parent's anniversary and they were always big band fans, so I did three songs for them, one of them being "Canadian Sunset" that I remembered hearing as a kid. Actually, I'm a 70's rock and roller turned movie music composer, engineer of my own personal projects. I didn't use any fancy equiptment on that song, just the sequencer of the Triton. Nice machine! For my personal songs, I use the equiptment. By the way, You did an excellent job reproducing "Funeral for a friend". Even the instruments, especially the guitar harmonies, sound extremelyl close to the original. Nice Job. I agree with you too, everybody did an outstanding job with so many styles of music. What a great bunch of people on this forum.

Gotta Go,

PAULIII

• 3 weeks later...

Dave and all: I got my copy too! It came a week ago but I haven't had a chance to reply; work and finals will do that to ya. Oh yes, CD sounds very nice. Ya'll did good.

Michael

P.S. Dave, thanks for resending the CD after the address mix up.

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Archived