Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

COVER CD: They're in!

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Rabid:

I'm still waiting for my copy. Maybe today.

:eek::rolleyes::eek:

Aaahhhh, shoot...

Rab, I screwed up - I forgot to enter your name and address on the spreadsheet that printed up the labels, and so I actually didn't send you one.

I suck...

Email me your address, and I'll get one off to you today.

Your humble servant, ;)

dB

LOL. Don't worry about it Dave. Email is on the way. At least I don't have to worry that one of my neighbors may have the CD. When a substitute postal worker delivers our mail we never know who is going to get what. All the tenenants run around trying to "re"-deliver the mail to correct addresses.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Well..just FYI...I haven't received mine yet...no rush...just seems odd seeing how we're in the same neck of the woods.

Yeah. that ain't right...

Check your private messages - I sent you one confirming that I have the right address for you.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Are the message board names listed on the CD so we can tell who is who, or do we just guess?

Robert, on the CD, some people used their screen names while others used their real names or stage names. Dave posted the screen names and the songs they did above.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Just got mine and finished a first, semi-attentive listen to it. Well, after surviving the predictably vain first response--"my mix sounds so muffled compared to everyone else's"--I got on with the business of enjoying this terrific compilation. There is some wild stuff here. Good for us.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by soapbox:

Are the message board names listed on the CD so we can tell who is who, or do we just guess?

Robert, on the CD, some people used their screen names while others used their real names or stage names. Dave posted the screen names and the songs they did above.

Best,

Geoff

You can tell I was out of it yestorday. 3 1/2 hours sleep and two Benadrill are not a good mix for a work day.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Magpel:

Well, after surviving the predictably vain first response--"my mix sounds so muffled compared to everyone else's"--I got on with the business of enjoying this terrific compilation. There is some wild stuff here. Good for us.

Personally, John, I thought the mix of your tune was excellent, and lended flavor to a very clever arrangement.

I played the covers CD last night for a friend whose studio I'm using for a current jingle project. At first, I told him that I wasn't happy the my mix. He told me that I was out of my freaking mind. I'll defer to his opinion. He was blown away by the CD as a whole.

Since I was the first one with an overly self critical post on the mixing topic, I propose a moratorium on overanalyzing our own work.

Listening to Dave's "The Light Dies Down On Broadway" for the third time...

I love it. I can tell you've listened to the Lamb many times.

Bart Garratt

Originally posted by bg:

I love it. I can tell you've listened to the Lamb many times.

Thanks, Bart!

As I've mentioned before, I am totally into your Gentle Giant tune. I can't tell you how many people I've had the pleasure of sharing that with.

Top notch work, sir! :thu:

dB

Ahhhh, finally 2 seconds to sit down and tell everybody what a GREAT job they did on this CD.

I've listened to a LOT of compilation CDs, and I have to say this ranks up at the top. I'm proud to be a part of this group.

Great mastering - great job on the graphics and info inside - everybody take a big bow!

:D:thu:

lz

Dave I must admit that I'd actually never heard this tune before but you deserve a grammy on the shear technical excellence of your recording. Are you a professional engineer or is this pure natural talent? :thu:

Originally posted by Dan South:

Dave - PO box, SVP.

Pas un problem.

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Are you a professional engineer or is this pure natural talent?

Neither, but I do thank you for the compliment. I quite enjoyed your piece as well - I actually really liked the way Magpel's tune, your tune, and my tune finished the disc up. I thought the flow was pretty great.

dB

Now that the disc has been riding with me in the car for a few days, what a real pleasure it is. I wish there were a Leblanc on it, a Steadyb, a Tusker, but beyond that, no gripes here. Those guys will be back on board next time.

I'm enjoying practically every tune, but here are a couple of observations from my last listen.

--It takes cajones to cover a Gentle Giant song and "mad skills" to pull it off.

--The woman spooging at the beginning of Lincoln's Macarena is....impressive.

--There is some virtuouso sequencing in effect throughout the disk. Bucktunes, Gus, Mzeger, aforementioned bg, Busch, and many more: attention to detail is both inspiring and daunting.

--Dan did a very close study of Stewart Copeland.

--The groove of Laurie's Greensleeves is very cool and just a little weird.

--Dave's Genesis cover is F$#%ing Huge. I don't know how else to describe it.

--Cameron, I can listen to you sing all day.

I'll stop here, though my appreciation of the tunes doesn't. I'll come back for chapter two after the next couple of listens.

John

Hey! THANKS, John!! Yeah, I spent a LOT of hours on those darned drums. :) A labor of love, to be sure. Could you imagine actually being the guy who played that schtuff in real time? Wow!! Stewart's a total genius!!!

Thanks again!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

HEY DAVE -- GREAT JOB!! Well, actually that goes for everyone involved, but as the Father of the Keyboard Corner Compilation Concept, compliments are due! I've already listened to it twice. What's weird is that despite the diversity of tunes, it all hangs together in some strange way. Maybe it's the forum collective unconscious coming to the fore.

Speaking of getting tunes out, I'm now posting a new tune every 2-4 weeks on http://www.craiganderton.com. If you hear anything you want to use in a compilation, let me know.

Received mine this past weekend ... thanks, Dave. Have given it one listen through and revisited a couple tunes. I'm very impressed with the quality overall, and inspired to try to bring some of my own noodling about at home up to that level. Hopefully, I'll be able to submit something for the next time around.

Chris C

Posted by Magpel

Now that the disc has been riding with me in the car for a few days, what a real pleasure it is.
I AGREE! Love the feel on "Jockey Full of Bourbon". Dan, your vocals work beautifully on "Walking On The Moon". BurningBusch, "Deja Vu" is very, very nice.

I'll be back as I zero in more and more since in my case I've never heard the original versions of most fo this material.

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Dan, your vocals work beautifully on "Walking On The Moon".

Thanks, Lincoln! That's very kind...and generous. My vocals are usually the weakest link in the production chain. Glad you enjoyed the tune, though. I mixed it in a rush and am now wishing that I'd added more reverb along the way. :(

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I received mine yesterday. Impressive display of talent! I too will post a report when I get a minute to do so. I too thought Dan South's vocals should be up more in the mix. Maybe vocals are not your strong suit, but I always think of it as "character". Don't be shy.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Now that the disc has been riding with me in the car for a few days, what a real pleasure it is. I wish there were a Leblanc on it, a Steadyb, a Tusker, but beyond that, no gripes here. Those guys will be back on board next time.

I'm enjoying practically every tune, but here are a couple of observations from my last listen.

--It takes cajones to cover a Gentle Giant song and "mad skills" to pull it off.

--The woman spooging at the beginning of Lincoln's Macarena is....impressive.

--There is some virtuouso sequencing in effect throughout the disk. Bucktunes, Gus, Mzeger, aforementioned bg, Busch, and many more: attention to detail is both inspiring and daunting.

--The groove of Laurie's Greensleeves is very cool and just a little weird.

--Dave's Genesis cover is F$#%ing Huge. I don't know how else to describe it.

--Cameron, I can listen to you sing all day.

I'll stop here, though my appreciation of the tunes doesn't. I'll come back for chapter two after the next couple of listens.

John

Hey, John - I agree with your thoughts completely. Sorry I haven't been able to post more complete observations myself, but I'm preparing for a 3-week trip to the Pacific NW. Hopefully, will have a little time to participate from up there.

BTW, I also agree that my version of "What Child/Greensleeves" is a little weird. The story behind that was that everyone left me alone for a few minutes while I tried a new take on a very old song. I have always played this song fairly classically/traditionally, and quite honestly, was trying to do something different for each of the standard songs on the album. As it turns out, the "latin" groove (which, btw, the QS8 and Q-card made a piece of cake) really added something completely different to the final result.

When I play it live (we toured immedately after the album was released during the holidays last year), I lay a piano improvisation over the top, and it works so well, I kind of wish I had thought of that when we were recording the tune...it's a lot of fun to play.

See you from Washington!

:wave:

lz

My Favorite of the day: Gulliver's (Abracdabra's) cover (No More I love You's). Man that thing is a production tour de force. It really rocks.

Upon receiving the CD, I didn't know that it was Gulliver; thought it was just some ringer that didn't post here much but had a cover track he wanted to get on a CD.

Excellent work, Mr. Gulliver man. What a sonic and rhythmic treat.

All songs were brilliantly done. Magnificent!! :thu:

I agree with Llarion--"Deja Vu" all the way, with "The Light Dies Down on Broadway" and "Love the One You're With" tied in second place. A five-way tie for third place with "Macarena," "No More 'I Love You's," "Streetbeater," "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and "Walking On the Moon".

Archived