Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who turned you on?

midispaceho

When I was a kid, a few different songs turned me on to synthesizers in a huge way and 31 years later, I am still in love with them. Cars by Gary Numan and Tom Sawyer by Rush stimulated me in a way that most other music did not. Who turned y'all on at an early age?
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I can't really say it turned me on to synthesizers per se, but the 1st ELP album, eponymously named, changed me forever, and started me on the path to playing rock. Before that, all performances I did were classical.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

In no particular order.

Josef Zawinul - Weather Report

Chick Corea - Return To Forever

Rick Wakeman - Yes and solo (Six Wives Of Henry VIII, Journey to the Center of the Earth)

Tom Coster - Santana

Various players on Quincy Jones albums ('Theme from Ironside', 'Everything Must Change', etc.)

Pete Townshend - I didn't know it was a synthesizer, but the organ played through an Arp 2500 filter on We Won't Get Fooled Again always intrigued me.

Wendy Carlos - music from the film 'A Clockwork Orange'

Tangerine Dream - music from various films

Maynard Ferguson's keyboardist circa 1976 - the first time I saw synths played live.

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 07-20-2001 at 02:22 PM

Who turned me on ?

JESSICA RABBIT !! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

About music...

Tomita, JM Jarre, Vangelis, W. Carlos (Clockwork Orange)...

Then Pink Floyd, YES and (sorry) DURAN DURAN...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Switched On Bach was the first record to interest me in synths. After that, all the usual '70s influences: Emerson, Wakeman, Hancock, Corea, Zawinul, Hammer, etc.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Maynard Ferguson's keyboardist circa 1976 - the first time I saw synths played live.

I think the guy's name is Biff Hannon. I remember he had a Polymoog on top of a Rhodes, maybe a Micromoog too. As a trumpet player through high school, I had major MF envy.

The first songs or artists that got me fired up about synthesizers and keys were "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter, "Roundabout" by Yes, "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel, and Kansas' "LeftOverture" album. The first time I saw Kansas at Madison Square Garden (also my first concert ever) I was hooked on wanting to play live.

The first artists or songs that really got me into the use of the Hammond in music was "Smoke from a Distant Fire" (saw the Sanford-Townsend Band using a B-3 on "Danceband" or whatever that show was called when I was just a tike)and hearing the first side of "The Allman Brother Band" (first album) and realizing that the organ CAN be an integral part of a band's sound.

Then I moved on to ELP, more YES, Styx, Billy Joel, etc. and I was that was all she wrote.

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

I (gasp)nearly forgot about ELP in my early years. My brother had an ELP 8-track (don't know the title), but they covered the Peter Gunn title song and I was hella into that. I thought they wrote the song, my dad soon corrected me. Great base line, synth or otherwise. I (~ 6 - 8 years old at the time) was intrigued by Pink Floyd, however One of These Days scared the hell out of me. I have since grown to love that song...I am pretty sure when David Gilmore plays the slide guitar on that song, he is channeling spirits.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

I was a big Michael W. Smith fan when I was younger. His early work in the contemporary christian field was wonderful. I know he isn't a wonder boy on the keyboard but he is still quiet inspiring.

Fletch

Depeche Mode

No incredible showoff of chops, but great songwriting and very original music. They paid their dues, coming under heavy fire from critics in the 80's for being a "joke keyboard band". They are the pioneers of electronic music, and in my opinion they are largely responsible for the popularization of synths, and the "acceptance" of synths in modern music.

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

The FIRST piano that got my attention was the intro to "Could it be the Magic" by Barry Manilow http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif, I was 6 I think.

Don't be embarrassed, Steve...Manilow didn't write the intro - Chopin did. Manilow just copped it, and then wrote a pop song around the changes.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hmmm...

As a boy I too was influenced to learn piano by Manilow, because his playing sounded complex but was actually very accessible and easy to learn. Billy Joel was harder but just as fun to play if not more so.

Chuck Mangione's similar Rhodes work turned me on the Rhodes playing (Chase The Clouds Away)...

For synth stuff, I'd have to say the Weather Report - Heavy Weather and Jeff Lorber Fusion - Wizard Island albums were hugely influential on me...

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by mzeger:

I think the guy's name is Biff Hannon. I remember he had a Polymoog on top of a Rhodes, maybe a Micromoog too. As a trumpet player through high school, I had major MF envy.

I saw Maynard twice in that era. The keyboard player was different each time. The band had recently recorded with a guy named Alan Zavod, but I don't know whether he played on one of the gigs.

Both players were absolute chops monsters, though, as is just about everyone who's ever played with Maynard (including a very young Josef Zawinul). I remember one of the guys taking an extended solo - the band was tacet at that point - playing amazingly fast, modulating all over the place, then somehow bring it all back to the original key and groove just as the band kicked in. The first of these two gigs was the first pro concert I had ever attended, and boy did I learn a lot that night!

Your account of the setup is about right, but I think the EP may have been a Yamaha. It had that Yamaha electric grand shape to it.

Archived