Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Staff

Slowly

Anybody out there beside me who would like to see Keyboard mag staff photos? Dont have to be fancy. A picture with a short bio.

------------------

Serving the Lord continually!

"Let It Be!"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the Keyboard staff, I've got kind of a dumb question; Whatever happened to Dominic Milano? He was one of the co-creators of the magazine, and it seems like just a few years ago he was the senior editor. But now he's completely out of the picture. Unless I quickly skimmed over the issue doing so, I don't remember any fanfare or tribute to him leaving, so I'm curious. Anybody know?

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

Speaking of the Keyboard staff, I've got kind of a dumb question; Whatever happened to Dominic Milano? He was one of the co-creators of the magazine, and it seems like just a few years ago he was the senior editor. But now he's completely out of the picture. Unless I quickly skimmed over the issue doing so, I don't remember any fanfare or tribute to him leaving, so I'm curious. Anybody know?

Peace all,

Steve

I haven't spoken to Dominic for quite some time, but there was, IIRC, a send-off note in the magazine from Tom Darter, who replaced Dominic as editor for a short while. Mitch Gallagher, now editor of EQ, was editing Keyboard for awhile before Greg Rule, the current editor, took over. Last thing I remember was that Dominic was doing some internet-based music company, but this was before the collapse of the dot-coms, so I have no idea where he is now. It's been at least 4 or 5 years since Dominic was the editor, though.

By the way...Greg is currently doing an amazing job editing the magazine, IMHO. And there are still several staffers, including Jim Aikin, who were with the magazine in the old days who are still part of the current team.

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that certainly answered my question. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

And I agree that Greg's doing a fine job at the wheel. I guess the fact that there was no obvious change in the quality of the magazine is an indication that the transition was pretty seamless.

Four or five years already? Geez, where does the time go?!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Mitch Gallagher, now editor of EQ, was editing Keyboard for awhile before Greg Rule, the current editor, took over.

Wasn't there some guy named Sanders doing the gig for a while? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

You're gonna have to buy Marvin at least one drink for forgetting him, Kloppy...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Aw, this brings back memories of the good old days, back when there was no such thing as a plugin or a sample library - Dominic Milano, Jim Aikin, Robert Doershuck, Dr. Burge, Bob Moog, a dedicated organ column, little plastic phonograph records...

Where does the time go?

At least they still have NAMM reports and monthly giveaways.

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 07-11-2001 at 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Wasn't there some guy named Sanders doing the gig for a while? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

You're gonna have to buy Marvin at least one drink for forgetting him, Kloppy...

dB

Oh SHIT!!! I'm such a moron. Remind me to not post here while I'm getting the company ready for a trade show...my mind is on too many different things to be accurate on any one thing.

Anyway... as Dave pointed out, there was another great editor at Keyboard...one Marvin Sanders, my friend and colleague. And yes, I'll buy him a drink or two for the initial exclusion. Marvster is a great guy.

Oooooops! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff

FREFF!

I want to know who FREFF was!!!

I started reading Keyboard magazine in the 1970's and I saved every issue till 1992. Freff left around 1989 and I don't remember ever being told who he really was.

I always had my suspicions though.

Carl

This message has been edited by Krakit on 07-11-2001 at 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Krakit:

FREFF!

I've started reading Keyboard in the 1970's and I saved every issue till 1992. Freff left around 1989 and I don't remember ever being told who he really was.

I always had my suspicions.

He is, in fact, kind of a real human being. His name is Connor Freff Cochran.

He lives up in the SF area right now. If you'd like, I can see if he'll be interested in posting a bit here...

dB

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

I haven't spoken to Dominic for quite some time, but there was, IIRC, a send-off note in the magazine from Tom Darter, who replaced Dominic as editor for a short while. Mitch Gallagher, now editor of EQ, was editing Keyboard for awhile before Greg Rule, the current editor, took over. Last thing I remember was that Dominic was doing some internet-based music company, but this was before the collapse of the dot-coms, so I have no idea where he is now. It's been at least 4 or 5 years since Dominic was the editor, though.

- Jeff

Dominic was never with any Internet startup (you may be confusing him with Marv Sanders, who did leave the magazine's relatively safe harbor for those shakier shores). Dominic moved up and out from KEYBOARD into other magazines published by KEYBOARD's parent company, and has for some while now been editing a digital video publication for them.

- Connor

I just like pictures to go with the voice, so to speak. Could you give us a heads up with the staff photos come out? Not at connected with my enjoyment of the magazine though.

This message has been edited by kcbass on 07-11-2001 at 11:40 PM

"Let It Be!"

I started reading Keyboard magazine in the 1970's and I saved every issue till 1992. Freff left around 1989 and I don't remember ever being told who he really was.

I always had my suspicions though.

Carl [/b]

Hi, Carl. Color me *incredibly* curious about your suspicions. For 46 years I've been under the impression that I was just me, but consciousness being the haphazard construct it is, maybe I was wrong!

More seriously... happy to tell you anything about me you might want to know. Just ask.

-- Connor Freff Cochran

p.s. Thanks for reading the column! You can find the new ones in the series beginning to show up on the web at www.freff.com. There are also going to be several book collections published over the next couple of years.

Originally posted by connorfreff:

Hi, Carl. Color me *incredibly* curious about your suspicions. For 46 years I've been under the impression that I was just me, but consciousness being the haphazard construct it is, maybe I was wrong!

More seriously... happy to tell you anything about me you might want to know. Just ask.

-- Connor Freff Cochran

Great to hear from you - I started collecting Keyboard mags in mid 80's as a teenager, and you column was one of the few things I remember from those mags, so you influence was definitely felt all the way down here in Australia http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Although off topic - I personally would love to hear how you dealt with keeping your column fresh. I do freelance writing and find that a real challenge.

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

-- Connor Freff Cochran

HELL YESS !!

This is REALLY Freff !!!

Hey Sir, I am your fan... as long as I'm able to understand the meaning of your entire column... you know, my "business english"...

It is great to see you here, Freff !!

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Dominic was never with any Internet startup (you may be confusing him with Marv Sanders, who did leave the magazine's relatively safe harbor for those shakier shores).

Right you are, my friend. Memory is a strange phenomenon...much like a severely fragmented hard drive, my brain seems to occasionally access little packets of data that are close to correct...but essentially wrong. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff

Just to be completely accurate, I was never the editor of Keyboard; I was technical editor, later promoted (or was it aged?) to senior technical editor. The baton passed straight from Marvin Sanders to Greg Rule -- both of whom rank with the best IMO.

------------------

Mitch Gallagher

Editor

EQ magazine

This message has been edited by EQ_Editor on 07-12-2001 at 08:00 PM

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Well, any guess I make is going to sound foolish now.

Aw, hell with it. I figured you were either Spider Robinson or Alen Dean Foster.

You should be flattered.

Carl

I am, Carl. Thanks!

You know, back in my teens I used to go to a lot of LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fiction Society) meetings and parties where Alan Dean Foster was also hanging out. And in my early days in New York I spent a lot of time at the same parties as Spider, and meeting with the same magazine editors (I even drew the caricature of him that ran as the illo for his book review column in GALAXY). So maybe stuff from both those guys got into me via some mysterious quantum-consciousness-osmosis or something.

-- Connor

Originally posted by nursers:

Although off topic - I personally would love to hear how you dealt with keeping your column fresh. I do freelance writing and find that a real challenge.

If Mssr. Bryce approves, and says it wouldn't be getting too off-topic, I'd cheerfully discuss that subject with you here. If he thinks otherwise we can do it via direct email. Dave?

-- Connor Freff Cochran

p.s. Say hello to Australia for me. I can't begin to tell you how much I want to come see your country someday.

Originally posted by GusTraX:

[bHey Sir, I am your fan... as long as I'm able to understand the meaning of your entire column... you know, my "business english"...

It is great to see you here, Freff !!

[/b]

Great to be here, and thanks for the compliment. [side note to Dave Bryce: Dave, what have you started? More compliments like this and I'm going to set either my tennis shoes or the rug on fire from shuffling my feet so much in embarrassment.]

General note to you, GusTrax (by the way, your "business english" is perfectly clear), and anybody else out there who is happy I've popped up: *please* go to www.freff.com and register with the site, so you'll be on my email notification list for new essay postings and book releases and such. I'd really like to build that into something over time.

-- Connor Freff Cochran

If Mssr. Bryce approves, and says it wouldn't be getting too off-topic, I'd cheerfully discuss that subject with you here. If he thinks otherwise we can do it via direct email. Dave?

I don't see it as being off topic at all...go for it!

dB

Originally posted by EQ_Editor:

Just to be completely accurate, I was never the editor of Keyboard; I was technical editor, later promoted (or was it aged?) to senior technical editor. The baton passed straight from Marvin Sanders to Greg Rule -- both of whom rank with the best IMO.

Geez...someone stop me before I speak again. Next thing you know, I'll be saying something ridiculous like telling people that former keyboard editorial guy Bob Doerschuk ended up editing the now-defunct Musician magazine.

See you at NAMM, Mitch http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff

-- Connor Freff Cochran

p.s. Say hello to Australia for me. I can't begin to tell you how much I want to come see your country someday.

Thanks so much for the reply and looking forward to your insights.

Will definitely say hi to Australia - and if you do visit this lil freelance writer is happy to provide accommodation for a few nights http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Well, is this cool or what? Mention a former Keyboard staffer's name and next thing you know, he turns up here! Hi Freff, thanks for the scoop on your site. I'm sure I'll soon be adding it to my favorites. I always enjoyed your columns.

I also enjoyed Jim Aikin's Other Windows columns. They were always interesting and thought-provoking, but precious few and far between. Hey Jim, are you out there? Are you going to do any more of those columns? Do you have a website where I can find more of them? Thanx in advance.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

Freff - welcome to the Corner!

(I always thought you were the soul of Keyboard Mag)

Hi, Laurie! Funny what difference two letters makes. I could easily accept the compliment of being the soul *in* Keyboard during the 14 years I was appearing there regularly. But the soul *of*? That's an award that just has to go to the collective staff, with special emphasis on the editor slot. IMHO.

Connor Freff Cochran

Thanks so much for the reply and looking forward to your insights.

Will definitely say hi to Australia - and if you do visit this lil freelance writer is happy to provide accommodation for a few nights :)

"Insights" (such as they are) in next message. regarding crashspace in Australia: thanks for the offer, but right now I'm kind of hoping that my eventual non-tourist *reasons* for traveling to Australia will be up to the challenge of paying for some very nice hotel rooms. Dinner would be cool, though. I can always use a guide to good local restaurants! (Send me your email address via the message link on the www.freff.com site, so I can reach you when the day finally comes.)

Connor Freff Cochran

I personally would love to hear how you dealt with keeping your column fresh. I do freelance writing and find that a real challenge.

This question is actually worthy of an entire essay, all by itself. But I can mention a few things now without getting encyclopedic.

A big factor was the nature of the column's subject matter. "Creativity" is a big net, and it can be cast anywhere at all in search of new material. The subject matter also brought with it an implied obligation. If you are going to write about creativity, it would be inappropriate to either repeat yourself or shy from testing boundaries.

Another big factor was the support of Keyboard. The magazine printed, without blinking, several essays that I was *very* uncertain of at the time of writing. This gave me the freedom to experiment widely. (In fact, in 14 years they only spiked two pieces: one dealing with sexuality and one which went into such detail regarding a lawsuit that it made the editor fear possible legal repercussions. That latter essay was later published in rewritten form, without the questionable material, a change which actually improved it. I still think they were wrong about the sexuality one, though...)

Procedurally, one of the things that helped was that I tried to stay in a pretty constant state of "search." Rather than write only when a deadline loomed, I would keep looking for possible ideas all the time, and keep lots and lots of notes on things I *might* try -- themes, titles, opening sentences, subject matters, newspaper stories that seemed to say something worth exploring further, etc. Titles in particular proved a valuable starting tool, although at least half the time I wound up changing the title after I finished the essay that the original phrase sparked.

Another useful approach was simply forcing myself to look past first impressions -- to search for an underlying connection between two "surface separate" things, for example, or to keep pounding my head against a topic until I found a new angle that I'd never seen or heard of before.

Best of all, though, was just a willingness to go inside and listen. Really *listen*. One of my favorite essays, a musical film noir parody called "The Strange Case Of The Stolen Stadivertigo," was written that way. I'd spent weeks thinking about a bunch of different things I wanted to talk about, letting them bubble away on the mental stove. When I finally went to write I had NO idea what I was actually going to do with the resulting stew, whatever it now was...so imagine how stunned I was when I started to write and the first sentence that popped up -- quite out of nowhere -- was an alliterative parody of '40s-style hardboiled detective fiction. What the hell? Anyway, I gave in to the subconscious impulse, rather than fighting it, and over the next 10 hours the essay entered the world sentence by intermittent sentence, in between each of which I would just sit there straining to hear what the next line was *supposed* to be, rather than "writing" in any conscious or conventional way. During this process it felt like I was wandering around in completely random, nonsensical ways. But somehow, when the last line showed up, the piece was actually one coherent whole from start to finish.

There. That's a start. Ask me more specific questions and I'm sure more stuff will fall out in response.

Connor Freff Cochran

There. That's a start. Ask me more specific questions and I'm sure more stuff will fall out in response.

Connor Freff Cochran

Thanks so much for that - I am actually going to read or re-read some of your work before jumping into further questions http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I have given you my email address via the web site (which has a damn nice feel by the way).

Anyone else got some questions?

------------------

Archived