Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Staff

Slowly

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite was an early column which had something to do with your father and brother.

I can't remember the specifics, but the gist of it opened my eyes to some things back then.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 07-15-2001 at 11:15 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

I also enjoyed Jim Aikin's Other Windows columns. They were always interesting and thought-provoking, but precious few and far between. Hey Jim, are you out there? Are you going to do any more of those columns? Do you have a website where I can find more of them? Thanx in advance.

Peace all,

Steve

Thanks for the kind words. I stopped writing OW mainly because I felt I had said everything I had to say about creativity -- at least everything suitable for the pages of Keyboard. Like Freff, I pushed the boundaries a bit (the column about people cutting limbs off of trees, for instance). By now I could probably come up with a few fresh pieces, but I'm not sure how well they'd fit into Keyboard. The magazine has become, shall we say, a bit more nuts-and-bolts oriented than it used to be.

I'm contemplating the possibility of setting up some sort of song-lyrics-plus-amateur-pundit website. If and when I do, I'll announce it here.

--JA

Originally posted by Jim Aikin:

The magazine has become, shall we say, a bit more nuts-and-bolts oriented than it used to be.

--JA

Amen, brother. The reason I stopped reading it was because it stopped being about keyboard players, and became a "technical journal (or one huge ad.) I bought every issue from its inception, to about 1990. Even then I could see the way the winds were shifting: There were fewer and fewer interviews with players, and more and more about equipment.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by Jim Aikin:

I stopped writing OW mainly because I felt I had said everything I had to say about creativity -- at least everything suitable for the pages of Keyboard. Like Freff, I pushed the boundaries a bit (the column about people cutting limbs off of trees, for instance).

--JA

My favorite was "One, Two, Three, Many..." the one about the mongongo nuts... You even pushed some boundaries while talking about the importace of selling that many issues -or not- of a magazine... I found it very inspiring!!

Thanks, Jim.

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

My favorite was "One, Two, Three, Many..." the one about the mongongo nuts.

I had forgotten all about that one. I remember vaguely now -- it was inspired by Dave Williamson making a big sales pitch of some sort, and my thinking, "Who cares?"

I really ought to collect those columns and get them ready for downloadable posterity. Anybody wanna volunteer for some free typing?

--ja

One of my fave Other Windows columns was the one about how to screw up your career, back in `92 or `93. IIRC, it was about some peoples' deep-rooted fear of success and not being able to handle it. Bad decisions, self-destructive vices, they subconciously flatten their own tires, so to speak.

I actually copied that column and posted it above my workstation for a while, lest I should catch myself showing any of the symptoms. I eventually decided I wasn't a real threat to myself, so I took it down. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Of course, I might have to dig it back up and read it again now. Just for a reality check, if nothing else. I don't want to start getting complacent in my old age! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

And yeah, I'd love to see some sort of compilation of OW columns. Count me in!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived